Author Topic: Using Genos for its Sounds (no styles) for different kinds of gigs ...  (Read 5919 times)

Offline jimlaing

Hi all ... thought I'd throw a different topic into the mix.  Does anyone else use Genos for gigs where they have a band with them, and thus use the Genos for its sounds (i.e. not using Styles)?  For ~80% of my gigs, where I'm doing solo, duo or trio, I use the Styles (with some parts muted) and it works great. 

I occasionally play with a 6-pc band, which I enjoy because it gives me something different to do (and because years ago I mostly played in 5 to 6-pc bands as keyboard player, before the era of great Arrangers as we have now).  It uses the Genos (and my brain) in a different way from when I do solo/duo gigs.

Lately, I took on a position in the "pit" for a small Broadway variety show in my area, where I'm playing Genos but only using it for sounds (we have a drummer, bass player, and pianist/music-director).  I can say that the musicians and singers, at our rehearsals, sometimes do comment about the amazing sounds the keyboard is capable of.  Since we only have a 4-pc little "pit band", I'm sort of "the orchestra" where the other 3 guys are piano, bass, and drums.  So I'm using lots of sounds from the Genos - string ensembles, solo strings (violin, viola or cello), flute, trumpet, orchestral horns, and occasionally some B3 organ sounds, some "80s synth" sounds, etc. etc. - depending on the song.  We are doing ~36 songs, from 36 different Broadway shows.  The Genos (and Tyros) makes a GREAT keyboard for this setting; due to the variety and quality of the sounds.  I often use Splits so that I can play a couple of different sounds simultaneously (such as Orch Horns in left hand, and Strings in right hand, and Flute on a 2nd MIDI'd keyboard).

Just curious if any others here either play in "show pits" or play with a full band, using Genos (or Tyros)?  It's a different and fun experience ... yet I also enjoy when I get back to doing a solo or duo gig, and use the great Styles ...

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pedro_pedroc

Hello, Jim.

I play my Genos solo, with styles, at home.
But I play also in a Pink Floyd Cover Band, only with songs, pads, and sometimes with free play styles. My band has drummer, bass, vocals and two guitars (solo and basis).
I had a Tyros 4, and the diference is also big in the band. The sax solos, the orchestra strings, and the pianos are more real.

Att.
Pedro from Brazil

tyrosman

hi There Jim I do gigs on my own I will be getting Genos on the 6th of April and cant wait :)

Just curious if any others here either play in "show pits" or play with a full band, using Genos (or Tyros)?

Hi Jim!

There's no reason your Genos wouldn't make a fantastic performance instrument in any size group playing any genre.

I'm a life-long performer who's worked as a single and in groups up to 18-piece. I've also done a lot of studio work. In all of those cases I wanted the best selection of workhorse sounds at my fingertips and the Genos pretty much fits the bill. As an organist, I would probably add some kind of outboard Leslie effect to beef of the B3 sounds, but that's about it.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

For ~80% of my gigs, where I'm doing solo, duo or trio, I use the Styles (with some parts muted) and it works great.

Glad you brought up this topic, Jim!

I've used my various keyboards with a jazz trio for the past five years, strictly as a piano player. I always owned two keyboards. One was the T5 for my duet work and a Nord Electro 5 for the jazz trio. (The T5 pianos weren't even close to being adequate). Now that the Genos comes with great pianos, I would like to take advantage of the Genos Mutipads and other rhythm dependent features, with this jazz trio. Problem: these must be coordinated with the drummer. Other than sending a click track via headphones, how else can I use the Genos other than for a piano and other voices? Thanks...

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline panos

Lee is hard to play multipads according to a drummer's tempo I guess.
A drummer's tempo will not be accurate.
He's tempo will be 125.05 at first bar, second bar 125.09, third bar 124.97 and so on.
(he is human after all :) )
The pad's tempo will always be accurate at 125.00 bpm for all bars.
So, (as long as I don't know anything about giging) is there a way for the Genos to give the tempo to the drummer since the begining of the song untill the end,
and whenever your pad will come in,will be easy for him to keep up with Geno's tempo?
For example the Genos will play at a low volume a hit hat or something that the drummer can listen and always keep the Genos tempo (like a metronome or something).
Just saying,I don't know if this possible.
Or if you want to find his tempo you have to tap the tempo button but your tapping won't be accurate again.
For example your tapping will give a tempo of 125 bpm to the Genos,allthough the drummer is playing at 125.34 bpm.
So again he must follow your tempo. :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:03:13 AM by panos »

Thanks for the thoughts, Pano. I was hoping someone had a magic formula. I have used the T5 before with a guitarist, bass player, and singer - no drummer. I just turned off the bass part. Worked like a charm. I suppose I could just fire our drummer  ;)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline J. Larry

I’ve played several arranger gigs with a drummer, sax, and vocals.  The drummer took a feed from the mixer via headphones.  He’s an experienced pro.  I’d start the style and he’d quickly get the feel of it.  Then, I’d mute the drum track for the remainder of the song.  He would play easily with the style adding fills and embellishments.  He could even follow the auto endings.  Works like a charm, giving the appearance and sound of a real, live combo.

Offline MIKEP

Hello
I play my Genos occasionally at the local church. For certain hymns I will use the Classic organ voices only. For others I will use a mixture of piano with a quiet pad and organ flute. The quality of the Genos voicing is amazing!

Offline karl28

Hi Jim,
I use my Genos on a weekend to accompany cabaret acts in a social club. It's used with bass pedals and an 88 note stage piano as well as a drummer.
It's a great keyboard and learning new things with it on every got.

Regards,
Karl

Offline markstyles

Re: Using Genos for its Sounds (no styles) for different kinds of gigs ...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »
The Genos has great sounds.  I use mine as a recording instrument.  While I do make a lot of use of its arranger capabilities.. I also 'hand play parts', for it's  sounds also..  I could easily see, some one using it the way you do..  Any way you use it is valid.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:45:26 AM »
Just shows how versatile our keyboards are!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline StuartR

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
Hi all ... thought I'd throw a different topic into the mix.  Does anyone else use Genos for gigs where they have a band with them, and thus use the Genos for its sounds (i.e. not using Styles)?  For ~80% of my gigs, where I'm doing solo, duo or trio, I use the Styles (with some parts muted) and it works great. 

I occasionally play with a 6-pc band, which I enjoy because it gives me something different to do (and because years ago I mostly played in 5 to 6-pc bands as keyboard player, before the era of great Arrangers as we have now).  It uses the Genos (and my brain) in a different way from when I do solo/duo gigs.

Lately, I took on a position in the "pit" for a small Broadway variety show in my area, where I'm playing Genos but only using it for sounds (we have a drummer, bass player, and pianist/music-director).  I can say that the musicians and singers, at our rehearsals, sometimes do comment about the amazing sounds the keyboard is capable of.  Since we only have a 4-pc little "pit band", I'm sort of "the orchestra" where the other 3 guys are piano, bass, and drums.  So I'm using lots of sounds from the Genos - string ensembles, solo strings (violin, viola or cello), flute, trumpet, orchestral horns, and occasionally some B3 organ sounds, some "80s synth" sounds, etc. etc. - depending on the song.  We are doing ~36 songs, from 36 different Broadway shows.  The Genos (and Tyros) makes a GREAT keyboard for this setting; due to the variety and quality of the sounds.  I often use Splits so that I can play a couple of different sounds simultaneously (such as Orch Horns in left hand, and Strings in right hand, and Flute on a 2nd MIDI'd keyboard).

Just curious if any others here either play in "show pits" or play with a full band, using Genos (or Tyros)?  It's a different and fun experience ... yet I also enjoy when I get back to doing a solo or duo gig, and use the great Styles ...

Jim

I use my Genos exclusively in a 5 piece rock and blues band for every sound that our two guitar players can't make (and that's a lot even though they have a dozen or more stomp boxes between them.)  I get a lot of comments about how the Genos guitar sounds aren't realistic when I know they are but that's all part of the fun. Meanwhile they have to stop and tune their ancient string instruments while we sit and wait. 😎🤗

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »
Who are the comments coming from? I'd wager, only the guitarists themselves; not your beer engorged patrons. There isn't one guitar player out there who will admit the Genos (or Tyros) guitars are realistic. Their egos won't allow them to share the spotlight.

Just like drummers. "Those keyboards are putting us out of business!" Rubbish! Learn how to play drums on the beat and with style, and you'll have more work than you can handle!

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:08 AM »
Hi Jim --

This is exactly how I intend to use Genos. Currently, I'm still playing my MOX6 with a pianist on an acoustic grand and a guitar player on acoustic 12-string. There's no need for drum backing, etc.

Although I practice the tunes for each week on Genos, I haven't brought the Genos to the (church) gig as yet -- no bag/case yet! However, Genos emulation of acoustic instruments (strings, woodwinds, orchestral horns, etc.) is superb.

All the best -- pj