Author Topic: Some error"s  (Read 9982 times)

Offline MisterGenos

Some error"s
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
Hello I'm an Professional entertainer

Sometimes i try some new file' from friends
I put two picture's here from Error's picture one CDG File Picture TWO MidiFile make on the Tyros 4
i Hope YAMAHA Gone fix this because Manny people have this problem and Sorry about my"n English

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Some error"s
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
Hi Mister,

Are you sure it's a Genos problem? Chances are, if so many are having trouble with the file, it's the file causing the issue. Also, when you bought your Genos, did you immediately download the most recent operating system update?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:00:26 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: MisterGenos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
I don't think Yamaha can fix 'this' without knowing what 'this' is.

Why not post the files here; I agree with Lee that there's probably something wrong in there. Somebody might be able to give you a diagnosis.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
Could be a problem with the titles of the songs. Try altering them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:43 AM »
Send files along errors to Yamaha directly.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
All my Midi files play OK from Tyros 4. Usually the only time you get that type of message is when there is something wrong with the file you are trying to use. I am certain it will not be a keyboard fault. I see you do not seem to want to post the file so others can try it.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »
.. I am certain it will not be a keyboard fault. ...

Hi Eileen.
Programatically speaking, it is a software (OS) fault, because this don't have to happening. Even if the file is bad. This type of errors are untreated errors. That means he has to send "faulty" items directly to Yamaha, and Yamaha's programmers to read the error steps, eventually trying to make the same scenario when error appear, and definitely treat the error and show a message screen to user interface. If the file has problems it has to be rejected and the keyboard has to show an error message with "OK" button to be able to close the error and step forward.

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:35:05 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »
All Yamaha keyboards have worked this way so why should it be different on Genos. Surely switching off and on is not that big a problem.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
All Yamaha keyboards have worked this way so why should it be different on Genos. Surely switching off and on is not that big a problem.

You gig?! I want that happening to you in a gig, to see if you are so happy with a keyboard block ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline MisterGenos

Re: Some error"s FIXIT WITH YAMAHA SUPPORT
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
Hello Everybody

I send this two file's to Yamaha Support and they fix the problem this a nice support from Yamaha

Really when you have a problem they help you

This is what they write to me

Dear Dirk,
In this case the corrected file. You can simply change the name again.
My colleague "pulled apart" the SysEx data. Now the file is playing correctly.
but it was not really a "clean" MidiFile .. (-;
With best regards,
io. Jeroen Jacobs

SO we know they working on the Genos also you send a Mail and they help you

Yamaha Support Thank You

Mister Dirk

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
Obviously, as stated by Eileen, it was a corrupted midi file - nothing unusual, and it would have happened with any Yamaha keyboard - not just the Genos.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline MisterGenos

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 01:07:22 AM »
This Midi file was not Corrupt because it's was playing on the computer there was only to much
Sys EX Data and Genos block there

Also a other type of keyboard don't have this problem

Obviously, as stated by Eileen, it was a corrupted midi file - nothing unusual, and it would have happened with any Yamaha keyboard - not just the Genos.

Gary 8)

tyrosman

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 01:22:24 AM »
what I cant understand why do some people want to play Midi files I never have done and wont I play live :)

Offline MisterGenos

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 01:53:52 AM »
I understand this but this file was from a friend he have also a Genos  and ask me to try
this i never use a midi file read my'n first text

i play always live with songstyle's look about the picture's

what I cant understand why do some people want to play Midi files I never have done and wont I play live :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline markstyles

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »
Sysex code is designed to address a particular machine, made by a particular manufactur.  If the code is being sent to a wrong machine, the code will be ignored.. or in some cases throw the machine into chaos.  A file with sysex could play fine on a computer, but not an instrument (any keyboard instrument)..because sysex code gets in and rewrites sub-routines, like chain thee dsp effects.. 

When you record the output of a Tyros,or Genos into a DAW, you will sysex code..  This is doing various things like programming how a dsp effect will work etc. It is effects the instrument at a fundamental level.. But when you play back the Daw, it normally sends to MIDI SONG Channels.  Not the STYLE channels (you can redirect it if want)..  That is why the incredible powerful distorted wah wah guitar when played from your DAW doesn't sound the same, because the sysex is setting up the Style channels, the midi is being send to SONG channel.. So normally you lose the effect.

You have to manually set up DSP effects on Genos to approximate sound..  An alternative would be to go to midi set-up page and assign MIDI 9 - 16 to the Style channels themselves..  you can also call top the style you used..  You don't want the style to play.. because it is getting the midi from your DAW instead. This method allows you to record more styles into our DAW...So instead of 8 style channels you can have as many as you want to overdub.

A midi file with sysex, might have no effect on a computer, because it will ignore the sysex, because the sysex has code in it that tells it to one operate on a certain manufactor, certain instrument, etc..  So if your feed sysex to a machine that was not designed to read it,  results can be nothing, or completely garbage.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
It's very nice of Yamaha to send you the corrected file.

And...

When a file is "not clean", the keyboard "should" handle this gracefully, not lock up.

Maarten

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
Keyboards are not much different than PC, which also lock up when confronted with incorrect or corrupted data. The big difference is keyboards are not, at this time, subject to malware or virus problems. :)

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 01:19:50 AM »
The big difference is keyboards are not, at this time, subject to malware or virus problems. :)

Ssh.....not too loud Gary. Nor are they subject to the incompetence of Microsoft. If they were, I'd quit music all together!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
Hi Eileen.
Problematically speaking, it is a software (OS) fault, because this don't have to happening. Even if the file is bad. This type of errors are untreated errors. That means he has to send "faulty" items directly to Yamaha, and Yamaha's programmers to read the error steps, eventually trying to make the same scenario when error appear, and definitely treat the error and show a message screen to user interface. If the file has problems it has to be rejected and the keyboard has to show an error message with "OK" button to be able to close the error and step forward.

Regards,
Vali

I totally agree. We've discussed this issue before and the Genos or Tyros or any good OS should never present such a dialog to the user. At the very least a more user friendly message with a continue button should be offered. This is just lazy programming IMHO.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »
Ssh.....not too loud Gary. Nor are they subject to the incompetence of Microsoft. If they were, I'd quit music all together!!

What's up with the Microsoft bashing, Lee? This isn't the first or even second comment I've read from you about that. I'd guess you must have had a real problem with them in the past? 😁

Offline DerekA

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
I totally agree. We've discussed this issue before and the Genos or Tyros or any good OS should never present such a dialog to the user. At the very least a more user friendly message with a continue button should be offered. This is just lazy programming IMHO.

It's an unhandled exception. It means that whatever the sysex asked the system to do was really unexpected. It may have damaged memory contents for example and so 'continue' just might not be possible.

It's like the Windows blue screen of death or a Linux kernel panic.
Genos

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 10:16:10 PM »
Stuart, I'm only one of billions who only tolerate MS and their crap software. I make a living using MS products, and I have no choice. It's just one nightmare after another. MS Word is my primary issue. There are so many issues that us professionals must deal with on a daily basis. At least when a bug appears in a Yamaha product, they're on it. When the same thing happens with an MS product, they just ignore the millions who make MS, well, millions of dollars in profit. Instead, they just force you to upgrade to their next version, which is also full of bugs. The entire world needs to stop sucking up to MS and their garbage software. Notice how you no longer have a choice about accepting their often disruptive, so-called "security updates??" The reason they put out so many security updates is because their crappy code is so vulnerable to breaches. I've had so many problems with updates and how they re-configure my computer, all to satisfy the MS revenue model - but we all need and enjoy MS products. Rubbish! We're being held hostage by these morons.

My metaphor is most apt. The message is, "If Yamaha becomes as incompetent as MS, then I quite music." That will never happen though because their OS is based on Linux, and Yamaha actually cares. I remember seeing a very funny tag line in an MS forum: "They said to use Windows 7 or better. So I used Linux."

But we digress...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:17:25 PM by Lee Batchelor »

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 06:20:04 AM »
I fail to see what this has to do with Genos.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:56 AM »
Me too. Hence why I said, "But we digress."  ;D  Stuart wanted to know why I hate MS. I complied.

On topic: I had a practice today for a large, sold out show coming up next week. I think the Genos is remembering all my registrations perfectly. There was one registration where I thought I had assigned the "Concert Grand" but the piano was listed as "PopGrand." I'm hoping that was pilot error. The vocalists on this show are in awe if this new beast!! So am I :).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:38:02 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
Stuart, I'm only one of billions who only tolerate MS and their crap software. I make a living using MS products, and I have no choice. It's just one nightmare after another. MS Word is my primary issue. There are so many issues that us professionals must deal with on a daily basis. At least when a bug appears in a Yamaha product, they're on it. When the same thing happens with an MS product, they just ignore the millions who make MS, well, millions of dollars in profit. Instead, they just force you to upgrade to their next version, which is also full of bugs. The entire world needs to stop sucking up to MS and their garbage software. Notice how you no longer have a choice about accepting their often disruptive, so-called "security updates??" The reason they put out so many security updates is because their crappy code is so vulnerable to breaches. I've had so many problems with updates and how they re-configure my computer, all to satisfy the MS revenue model - but we all need and enjoy MS products. Rubbish! We're being held hostage by these morons................

But we digress...

Whether you posting was off topic or not,  I LOVED IT.  I LOVED IT,   I  LOVED IT.   I never  sympathized with  the communist party or Mr. Karl Marx, and hate it when someone proves they were in some claims correct;   MS is really what they called  MONOPOLY CAPITALISM  and just as bad as they claimed.  And very true and not off topic, YAMAHA has never issued an update that upset your keyboard.     That is why we keep buying there new keyboards like I have done ever since the model 5700  which came out in, was it 1994,  which I still have. I felt it was revolutionary, and I still feel that way.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline pjd

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
It's very nice of Yamaha to send you the corrected file.

And...

When a file is "not clean", the keyboard "should" handle this gracefully, not lock up.

Maarten

Amen! I'm glad that the OP sent the files to Yamaha.

The PSR/Tyros MIDI import/playback is far more robust than MOX. I've had MIDI files that hang the MOX play back just fine on S950.

Reporting this situation is not a slam on Yamaha or Genos. Hopefully, they will use what they've learned to make the Genos software more robust with more graceful error reporting and recovery. As a software developer, I wouldn't expect a customer to be happy with "Reboot and everything will be OK." Yamaha take pride in their work.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:42:58 AM by pjd »