Author Topic: Cubase and Genos  (Read 5407 times)

Cubase and Genos
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
Hi team,

I have hooked up the Genos to my PC so Cubase 8 can trigger the Genos voices used in a MID file I recorded on my T5. I used the List Editor, which specifies the MSB, LSB, and Program change parameters to use the Genos voices of my choice. Problem: Genos is not playing the changed programs.

How do I set the Genos MIDI section to respond to MIDI transmit messages from Cubase 8? The indicator lights are lighting up in the Genos window, but the program changes are not getting through. I had the same issue with the T5 when I tried to change the programs from the List Editor window.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

Re: Cubase and Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Lee,

Did you install the Genos Voice List patch for Cubase? You should be able assign the Voices for the Genos from the installed Voice Definition file that is available from the Genos downlod site.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »
The Genos like pretty much any midi instrument will respond to CC, pro change events, automatically

First question.  set up piano for all channels, when Cubase plays, does Genos respond at all (call wrong program, etc).. You want to go to Genos Midi Receive page, and see that Cubase is sending on the right port (Genos has two) and then the right channel.. Just set each track to SONG.. This is like Genos is reading it's own sequencer.

I use what I call a control sequence.. I put this at the beginning of each track in Logic pro, it will call up the right MSB/LSB/PRG to get the voice you want..

Remember some instruements use 0 - 127 for programs and other devices use 1 - 128..  I don't know how Cubase treats it, But in Logic I must lower the program number by one  to get the right set-up

jpeg of my control sequence - https://app.box.com/s/d4096mq0gb1uw4epp6dc

midi control sequence, (you could paste this into the beginning of each Cubase track, and plug-in the appropriate #'s - https://app.box.com/s/z3ek8mcbkh9wekrd4eza

Note that if you have a lot of tracks sending out CC events, your machine (Genos) in this case might not get them all.. 
If I notice a patch not loading right  (Genos, Tyros, will show a generic kbd icon) I stagger the controls, just a clock count of one is OK.  You shouldn't have to think about this.
But I have run into a few times.

If you record some of Genos midi output, you might see a fair amount of CC events, detune, portamento, program changes.  They do this to give the style more life..

You can do the same.. you can add as many CC events as you want.

I understand that the cubase definition can work.. But having Logic.. I can't make use of that.. Logic only designed 15 banks of sounds, while the Tyros (and Genos) I'm sure spreads their MSB/LSB/PRG over a much wider range..

My way is not as elegant, but will port over to any DAW.

I've assumed you're turned on the 'display MSB/LSB/PRG command in Genos, so you know you've got the right voices.

Realize that Genos sends it's own midi out on the Style Channels..  and the 8 tracks are normally set from  9 - 16. 

If you are only going to use the 8 rhythm tracks, here's a little cheat.  Create a Genos  USER patch, so that MIDI channels 9 - 16 DON'T go to SONG but are rather patched back to go to the Rhythm 1, 2, Bass, Chord 1, 2, pad, phrase 1,2

Then all you have to do is call up the original style you used.. And it will sound the same.. The DSP effects will be correct.

Yamaha  was not as straight ahead in their use of DSPS as one might like.. So if you are sending CUBASE tracks to SONG tracks in GENOS.. you must manually set up the DSP effects you want.  (that can be critical for the sound of the tracks, especially delays, wah way effects). 

One can theoretically record and send sysex fro  their DAW, and command the Genos to set up DSPS a certain way.. But that is way above my pay grade..  Logic's way of dealing of SYSEX hasn't been touched in decades, and way to confusing for me. 

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:04:31 AM »
As I stated in another thread, MidiWorks supports all the Genos DSPs and sysex as well as all Voices.  Now thanks to Vali, we can add expansion pack Voices to MidiWorks and StyleMagic.

Mark, I had to use a "control sequence file"  for all my Atari sequencers (I called it a "Mix List").  It is so much easier having a Voice Definition File in programs like Cubase, StyleMagic and MidiWorks.  You just select the Voice you want and it sends the MSB - LSB and Program Change number to the instrument. 

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:17:02 AM »
Many thanks for the replies, gents. I shall pursue this further. I've never had great luck either, using the script files in Cubase. I can never figure out how to get Cubase to find the darn thing. I can load it in all right, but it doesn't display in the tracks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:20:29 AM »
Got it working! Cubase now responds to my Data List parameters. Thanks again for your amazing help :)!

Offline markstyles

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
Hi Joe H..  Apple in their infinite intelligence, did not see fit to implement that feature like Cubase and others did.   That part of Logic code is very old, and written by Emagic in Germany, which I believe still handles some of Logic Pro chores..  At that point, I assume they thought no one would build a machine that address so many instruments. Unfortunate, but I have much more heavy issues to get upset about..