Author Topic: I tested a Genos Yesterday. It was....OK  (Read 19661 times)

keynote

Re: I tested a Genos Yesterday. It was....OK
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
The next time you play the Genos please consider using the EQ settings in the link below. These settings in particular will sound good through headphones as well as through big and small speakers.

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

PS: On the EQ page I set the gain on my Genos a little different than the website. Left to right > +6, +3, +2, +1, 0, 0, +3, +5. I found the Gain settings on the website a little too loud i.e. harsh, for my taste. Whatever is preferable to you is the most important thing. Which brand and model of headphones you use is also important. Some headphones produce better sound than others needless to say. The Genos has the ability to produce breathtaking sound. Therefore the better the speaker system (or headphones) you use the better the sound will be in order to reach its fullest potential. Something I'm sure you are well aware of as a gigging musician. 8)  Of course EQ settings are also very important in the grand scheme of things.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:57:33 PM by keynote »

The following users thanked this post: Pianoman

Offline panos

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »
To me there is a revolution to Genos compared to T5 but you cannot see and understand it if you don't play/listen/compose this kind of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZoN3ASVi0

If you have spent countless hours trying to find out how to do and compine these effects and arpeggios on a pc program and now for the first time you are able to do them live on a keyboard, that is where the "wow" thing comes out by some of us.

For the other differences between the 2 models I agree with Mike's post and I just have to add that the new keyboard looks more beautiful to me with all those curves and colours.  :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:25:56 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: TotallyKenny

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:35 AM »
.........So far, the "wow" factor just wasn't there.

I bought my T3 after playing it for 20 minutes. I played a few styles, tried a few
voices, walked over to the dealer and bought it on the spot.

It had immediately given me a high and a punch in the gut.

I haven't gotten that feeling so far with the Genos...

To repeat myself, and I'm even more sure after read your new comment. ;)
If you ever consider swap T3, I think you'll be more than superhappy to replace it with a T5.

It's not any secret, I have never been any Yammie fan, never liked (in my ears) the cold CD'ish sound. By 'accident', got hands on a 2.nd hand T4 some years ago. Why I bought it? Really don't know, probably a very impulsive act.....  :-[
Skipped T5 and was on the way to buy Korg PA4. Genos came, I did not expect it to sound any different than T series, and there was no way I was going to buy one... ???
Listened and looked to all demoes to find, and could hear there was something new and different.. Got a fairly good offer to loose a pretty bunch of $$$$$, and ate the bait.  :o  8)
Now I'm happy I did, because in my ears and eyes Genos is the best arranger from Yamaha 'till date. My 'love' for it grows for each day I play.
Genos going to stay, and PA?X-76 will join 'the team' at a later stage.. Not because I'm any well skilled or any good player, not because I really need it, but simply for my own pleasure, excitement, fun and joy.  :D

Abby (The Pianoman), I really hope to see you entertain live when we're flying south to the sunny islands again. Hope it's not too far into the future.
If so, I'll give you a sign and say hello. :)
Keep on the good work!
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:52 AM »

Thank you Mike.

That's what I've been trying to say all along.

The Tyros line was, from the very beginning, revolutionary in terms of styles and
sound.

Let's not forget that we were still lavishing praise on the T5 just a few months ago,
and deservedly so.

I have finally gotten the opportunity to test the Genos in the flesh.
It has been a long wait.

My first impression is that the Genos is evolutionary, not revolutionary, despite what
some may allege.

After all the praises here, I was eager to test the machine, and my impressions
were not that it isn't a good keyboard.

It is without doubt quite impressive, but not the revolution I expected it to be,
after reading all the praise here.

I admit that I have only tested the Genos for a total of 3 and a half hours.

I will try to borrow the keyboard for a whole weekend, so I can make a better
informed analysis of it.

So far, the "wow" factor just wasn't there.

I bought my T3 after playing it for 20 minutes. I played a few styles, tried a few
voices, walked over to the dealer and bought it on the spot.

It had immediately given me a high and a punch in the gut.

I haven't gotten that feeling so far with the Genos.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Hi Abby

T3 Wow
Genos Good but not Wow

It depends from what keyboard you start from.
My first Tyros was the T3, and it's clear, that I share your opinion. And I also agree with you that Genos is an evolution a little more important than the one from T4 to T5, and the one from T4 to T5.

I think there is a lot of DSP/CPU power that is not totally used yet.

For example, I'm waiting for "SSS", that will be a great evolution for me.
 I'm fed up with the fact we have to carefully stop to play notes, and to program our R1,R2,R3 parts to avoid sound glitches during registrations changes.

Soundphase.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 05:14:21 AM »
interesting exchange of opinions.

Specially the part about EQ settings.

thanks all
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2018, 02:49:24 AM »
I have enjoyed your postings and very much agree.  Abe is thinking very much along my line of thought, but of course  a little bit better this, a little bit better that and so on is a valid argument. But Abe sees a keyboard as a tool  (you must see him on U-tube to fully understand that) and like with a hammer a slightly better grip will not make me buy a new one. The fact that I have 2 Genos here since weeks and still have problems seems unbelievable. Please read my post of to -day about the  registry. Can't wait for someone to explain what is wrong, we have been trying so  hard with the Yamaha importer gentleman.
Cheers

Kaarlo