Author Topic: Copy and Copying Here from folder to folder  (Read 4117 times)

Copy and Copying Here from folder to folder
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
Here's a scenario. I have Folder A with a registration called Home On The Range.rgt. I spent a lot of time setting up the Home On The Range.rgt. and want to just copy it to Folder B. Folders A and B represent two different singers I back up on my Genos.

While in folder A, I select Home On The Range.rgt., and then use the Up arrow to choose Folder B. When I open Folder B, there's no Copy Here option, which should still be called Paste, just like on all previous keyboards and every OS on the friggin planet!! (But I won't open that wound again  ;).)

How do you copy one registration from one folder to another. So far, the only way I know is, while in Folder A,  copy the Home On The Range.rgt., open Folder B, press Memory and Button 1,  and then save that as a new registration. Seems odd I can't just use the Copy Here command. It is unavailable when I select Folder B. This was an easy process on the T5. What happened?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jwyvern

Re: Copy and Copying Here from folder to folder
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
Lee,
When you go to the File menu and select Copy, you have not actually copied it. All it does is open a sub menu with the Copy option showing. Hence there is no opportunity to "Copy Here" yet.
You now need to tap the new Copy option. Copy Here magically appears but navigate to your new folder before tapping it.
It's another instance of what I referred to in your other thread as gratuitous button taps. Learn to love it as Eileen obviously does and your karma and enjoyment of the keyboard will improve no end! (The last bit with tongue in cheek,  ::))

John
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:49:11 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
Thanks John, I shall try to learn my way around this new OS that Yamaha felt necessary to invent. Why they wouldn't stick with convention is beyond me. They already have so much new stuff that leaves the competition in the dust. They don't need to severely reduce the usability by being idiots. I hate modern technology that is counter intuitive to systems that have worked well and been in place for years!!!!

I tried your way, and it worked great!! Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:08:33 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
Well life would be very boring if nothing ever changed and at least learning new things keeps the grey cells working. I honestly can not see the problem but no doubt John will have an answer.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:25:04 AM »
Eileen, I have enough variety in my life to keep things interesting  ;D. Straying from conventional wisdom adds unnecessary stress. Engineers love to change things for the sake of changing things. They don't do it for valid reasons. I prefer to devote my energies to being a better musician, not a better computer operator. If that mentality was applied to aviation, there would hundreds of crashes per day until all the pilots learned the "new way of doing things."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:26:51 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:56:11 AM »
Eileen, I have enough variety in my life to keep things interesting  ;D. Straying from conventional wisdom adds unnecessary stress. Engineers love to change things for the sake of changing things. They don't do it for valid reasons. I prefer to devote my energies to being a better musician, not a better computer operator. If that mentality was applied to aviation, there would hundreds of crashes per day until all the pilots learned the "new way of doing things."

Thanks Lee. I liked your post as so many earlier and especially your  comparison with aviation as I am a manufacturer of military drones  since 1968 and whenever we must change something I know some target drones will crash, which is very detrimental to our reputation whereas every one shot down is a new sale. (That is what we build them for.)  As much as I hate changes I believe they are mostly not made because engineers love to do them. Engineers have limited saying. Often changes are made because earlier components become unavailable or because the new way lowers production costs. You would think YAMAHA is a big customer for any supplier. As a fact they are very small compared to PC or camera manufacturers who sell  enormous numbers.  If you open the Genos case (lot of work as it is VERY well put together and as a fact that has been the case for as long as I can remember. My Tyros was pushed down from its stand by a man who lost his balance  and fell 1 m to the wooden floor. Would you believe it:  NO DAMAGE)  you will find Genos unlike Tyros no more has a YAMAHA  manufactured proprietary power supply.  It was cheaper for YAMAHA to buy a standard I (believe laptop power supply)  and strap it to the bottom plate of the Genos.  Production costs are so important that they did not even have a special version  supply built for them with a shorter cable, they did just what you and I do, they wound the cable and secured  the too long wound up cable  with a cable tie.  That is at least what is the case with both I have. I do not mind, it just made me smile. Little do normal people know about manufacturers' problems and how they solve them in a cost efficient way.

Cheers

Kaarlo