Author Topic: PSR-EW400 and USB use with DAW  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Jay B.

PSR-EW400 and USB use with DAW
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Hello Forum folks,

Are any of you using the EW400 with a DAW like Cubase or another one? I understand how you can use it as a controller and record/playback with the keyboard. How would you use the keyboard and DAW/Laptop in a live performance? Since the polyphony is not very high, I would think you would use VSTs to augment the EW400. Wouldn't an Audio Interface be needed? Hopefully someone is or has used this in a live scenario...

Jay B.

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR-EW400 and USB use with DAW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »
Yes, you can do that. Your setup might vary depending on what you want to achieve.

Which operating system would you be using?

Which DAW would you be using?

Would you be performing live on stage, or just playing at home?

Offline Jay B.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
Hi Michael, Thanks for responding.
  • OS would be Windows 10 64-bit
  • DAW could be anything as I don't have one yet, but let's say Cubase
  • I am interested in the live application here

I am thinking that the USB cable only handles I/O between the laptop and the keyboard. In order to mix the keyboard and VSTs audio and send signal to PA or speakers, there would have to be an Audio interface, correct?

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
I don't think you'll need an audio interface, because the keyboard and computer can interface with each other directly.

But you should know that the keyboard lacks sophisticated controls for selecting which MIDI channels will be transmitted and which keyboard parts will be sounded, so you might want to do something like the following:

(1) Turn off the Local Control function so the keyboard doesn't make any sounds when you play it.

(2) Send the keyboard's MIDI data to the computer and DAW. You'll want the Keyboard Out function turned on, but you can leave the Style Out function turned off unless you want to use the auto accompaniment feature while playing. Likewise, you can leave the Song Out function turned off unless you plan to play back a MIDI song file on the keyboard while performing.

(3) Set up a MIDI track in the DAW for each MIDI channel being received from the keyboard. On the tracks that you want to use the keyboard's sounds on, send the MIDI data back to the keyboard to be sounded. On the traks that you want to use virtual instruments on, assign each track to each virtual instrument and preset.

(4) Have the DAW send its audio output to the keyboard.

(5) Use the keyboard's Line Out connections to send the audio to external speakers.

The following users thanked this post: Jay B.

Offline Jay B.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Thanks for the setup advice, Michael. Another question that comes to mind, I have heard on a couple of YouTube review that the EW400 76-key keyboard feels better than the other 61-key E-series. Would you agree or do they feel the same to you?

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
To be honest, I can't tell all that much difference between the keyboards of my YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, and PSR-EW400. Minor differences, perhaps, but they all feel fine to me. However, I'm not much of a player-- my skills are kind of minimal, and I play almost entirely with just my right hand, so I don't play two-handed piano music on my keyboards. :) Maybe if I did, I'd have more of an opinion about how the keys feel, but to me the different models feel equally okay for playing monophonic synth style.

With regard to DAWs, I suggest you try out some free trials-- or free lite versions if available-- to get an idea of what's out there and see which one does what you need and in the way you want. I happen to like Acoustica Mixcraft for creating splits and layers, and playing virtual instruments, because I think it's really easy to use for that. But Mixcraft doesn't handle SysEx-- and neither do Ableton Live and PreSonus Studio One, by the way-- although you can download a set of free plug-ins from Cockos that can be used for SysEx. Steinberg Cubase is a good all-around professional DAW that does handle SysEx, but you need to buy a dongle to use it-- unless you get the most basic version, which doesn't require a dongle. There are many others out there, so my advice is to take your time deciding which one you want to spend your money on, and in the meantime give the free trials a spin.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
I have heard on a couple of YouTube review that the EW400 76-key keyboard feels better than the other 61-key E-series.
Starting from the PSR E253, the keybed of the PSR E series range has been changed, where there is much more clicking sound in the keys, and the black keys are thinner in size than the previous models, also those black keys are somewhat rugged like a matte coating, and no more shiny, the keys take more time to spring back to original position. I have a inner gut feeling, that the working mechanism of these newer boards has been fully modified to a cheaper setup in order to keep the prices down.

skolkool

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
Starting from the PSR E253, the keybed of the PSR E series range has been changed, where there is much more clicking sound in the keys, and the black keys are thinner in size than the previous models, also those black keys are somewhat rugged like a matte coating, and no more shiny, the keys take more time to spring back to original position. I have a inner gut feeling, that the working mechanism of these newer boards has been fully modified to a cheaper setup in order to keep the prices down.

I tried the E363 at the local store and the keys feel exactly like you described. But the E453 I tried does not have this problem. Now I understand the price difference.

Have you tried the E353, does it have the same problem? Thanks

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
I do not think there is much difference in E-series keyboards' keybed. Maybe the mechanism is different, but basically you get the same physical feel while using E253 and E453. A few days back I went to the local store to get a sustain pedal, where the staff was demonstrating an E253, and I checked the Sus. Pedal using the same board. The keybed was same, though it appeared to be more shiny as it was unboxed few minutes ago.
To be honest this may, or may not be a problem to different users. Atleast for me, yes it does matter to some extent.
I have not tried E353 hands on, but I can say that its keybed would be the same newer one. 🙂

pquenin

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
There are now 2 free DAWs that are very capable : Tracktion T6 and Cakewalk by Bandlab (this latter on Windows only).

Both are capable to send sysex messages.

Cakewalk was a midi sequencer before being a audio-midi sequencer, so it is full featured to control midi keyboards, but it's not as easy to use than T6.

Most modern DAWs can send Midi out messages, but they have not all the Midi features of old DAWs such as Logic, Cubase and Cakewalk...

Practical Senses

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:39 AM »

So, do you prefer older keybed (Ex43 and above)? I can feel such "springy" respond on E363, but can't compare with E343 right now. (Anyway even newer keybeds not bad at all, i owned much more expensive synth with worse keybeds.)

pquenin

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »
I have played with the E263, E363, E453, S670, S770 and S970 at a local store and all the keybed are fine and seem solid enought.
I have bought a Casio MZ-X300, it's a great keyboard with good sounds and features, the "touch" is smoother than on the Yamaha keyboards, but I have a bad feeling due to the quality of the keys, they sometimes make a bad noise, as if they were badly assembled...

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »
So, do you prefer older keybed (Ex43 and above)? I can feel such "springy" respond on E363, but can't compare with E343 right now. (Anyway even newer keybeds not bad at all, i owned much more expensive synth with worse keybeds.)
Yes, while comparing two boards, it would bother me whichever has a better keybed. But at the same time, it would not be the only parameter for me to judge the whole instrument. e.g. I won't break the deal of E453 just because of its keys, as it is a lot more specced in its range, than any other board available in the market.