Author Topic: Help Needed... (Repost)  (Read 4577 times)

keyboardmaestro

Help Needed... (Repost)
« on: March 18, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »
Hello.

I am wondering something about the style creator, maybe it's just me not knowing how to work with it, but i never had this problem on other machines so..

First of all, when i had my older Casio keyboards i created styles and they would play all chords without a problem.. Later on i started creating styles on my Tyros and that immediately turned into a problem because:

- As soon as i finished the style and played all the parts with the chordthingy set to "Maj7" It wouldn't recognize 7th chords.

- I could play all chords that i want, apart from the 7th and 9th 11th 13th extentions..

In my opinion strange that a $100 buck Casio can do that but the Tyros seems to "not" be able to do that... Is that because the Casio doesn't require any extra adjusting because of it's simple styles? Or is it because i'm just been doing something wrong from the start?

My next keyboard is going to be the S-775, so i doubt that it would be different from the Tyros.. If i could get some help from people that would be fantastic.

Offline EileenL

Re: Help Needed... (Repost)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
Yamaha style always have to be created in Cmaj so you have to be careful what notes you use in variations as some will not sound good. For chords and Pad use CEGB. For Bass and Phase use CDEGAB notes. Intros and endings are different and you can use anything.

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
Well, i have a hard time playing in any other key than C, so styles that i create are automatically in Cmaj, but what i find weird is that, whenever i'm done with a style, i can't play 7th chords, it just won't recognize them.

Every other chord that isn't an extention chord is recognized (Dim/Sus/Aug) But something like 7/9? Forget it, whils't it isn't a problem with the factory styles of course, so.. Am i doing something wrong? I mean, i know how to use the style elements, what i can use, what i can't use, but because of that it's weird that it can't recognize those chords..

I don't have my Tyros anymore otherwise i would've shown u what i ment.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:28:54 PM by keyboardmaestro »

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:59:50 AM »
I've thought about this again and... It's still strange to me.
An old Casio keyboard on which i played still parts in C (With just that chord for the variations) Had no problem to play 7th chords, but my old Tyros (And presumably the new S775) Had/will have can't play those chords unless i play the variations in 7th chords?

But wouldn't that mean that a normal C would sound like a C7 and a C7 like a C13 or something? Not too sure, it's just that i find it odd, why can a cheap Casio recognize all chords when i made a custom style but an expensive yamaha can't?

Just a quick summary:

- I always put the marker on the Cmaj7 thing
- Tyros recognized all chords, apart from extention chords like 6/7/9 etc
- I would like to know what i'm doing wrong? Since it's seems strange for such a fantastic advanced machine not to know what to do with these chords after i created a style?

I know how to create styles, i've created 100s on older Yamaha's and Casio's and even Technics, and they never had problems with recognizing chords, but ever since the first Tyros it seems to be different? can someone please help me?

It's something i need to know in order to get the new keyboard, if i can't make styles properly on it (With the chord recognition when i have it on Cmaj7) Then i will not buy it and will go for the PA-700.. Please, someone? It's important for me  :-\ :-X

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:50:53 AM »
Don't know much about chord theory and the style's creator chord program,
but did you go to the style creator's tab called parameter to check there what is going on?
For example in a preset style that I checked in chord1 channel I can see:
1.source root C
and source chord M7

2.NTR root trans
and NTT chord     

You may experiment with these things to find how it will sound correctly.
People that create styles and have hard time with the style creator use programs like Style Magic.

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:31:37 AM »
Yes, i put everything in Root C, Chord Type Maj7.. But still, it wouldn't recognize the 7th chord.
The Style Creator from Korg is easier to grasp in my opinion, but i just really dislike the onboard styles on these machines..

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:58:57 AM »
Here is the manual for style creator from the s970
All models with style creator work pretty much the same way.
Take a look.
Too much music theory for me there, I still trying to find out where the midle C is hiding between those lines,I always forget...  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 07:07:08 AM »
WOW!! I had no idea about this, thank you SO much! This makes things clear!

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
Well... I'm sorry, but i can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong, i made a short video about the issue.. Maybe that someone knows what's up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0rcr1FE0w

keyboardmaestro

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »
Anyone, please?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:17 AM »
When you record the chord parts in Style Creator, are you including the Major 7 note (e.g. for the default 'Source Root of C and 'Chord' M7:  C, E, G, B)?

If you don't include it you won't get it included in chords that you play in real time, even if the keyboard OS recognises and displays the correct chord!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:45:21 AM by tyrosaurus »