Author Topic: Whhat is your workflow for creating a song?  (Read 7010 times)

Tyros5Mad

Whhat is your workflow for creating a song?
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »
Hi all,

I am working on trying to consolidate my workflow when recording a new song.  How are you guys doing it?

So my workflow is basically 3 steps for a song I am going to to create a video for.

1a. Create a midi chord file of the song I am working on using Producer from Peter Wierzba on my computer.
                    or
1b. Work with an MP3/CDG Backing track from my collection. I have uploaded this collection to Google Drive and shared it with all you great musicians.  Feel free to browse and use whatever you like.
                   or
1c. Use an existing midifile from my collection. I massage this midifile using PSRUTI from Heiko Plate Software.

2. Record  a WAV file in my Genos (genius) keyboard using the midifile or MP3/CDG plus live playing to add nuance plus the vocals. Once I am happy with that I convert it to an MP3 file using Switch Sound File Converter from NCH Software (free).

3. Create a video using free downloaded video clips and my finished MP3. I have done this in various ways but I am now settling for a music video with lyrics. I post this on my YouTube video channel. I use the excellent Wondershare Filmora video editing software (costs about $60 USD for a lifetime licence ).

It's all a learning process. The fun for me is actually learning and improving my techniques in the whole production process. If I get a good song at the end of it then great! Otherwise I just keep trying.

For playing live, which I also do a lot, I create a registration file (now a playlist file) with lyrics.

Best Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:55:18 AM by RichardL »

Offline DrakeM

Re: Whhat is your workflow for creating a song?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
Hi Richard,

I was reading through your workflow and in “1b”, you are working with MP3/CDG tracks. I didn’t know what that sort of file was and looked up the information on the internet.

For others who don’t know, these are two separate files 1.) an MP3 and 2.) a CDG file. Together these two files make a Karaoke file. And Richard as hundreds of these files to work with that he is sharing with us.

If you don’t have a Karaoke machine how can these files be played?

Well, I did some more digging and found that a FREE program (that I already use) VLC Media Player (which does so much more than Winders Media Player 11) can play both of these files, which turns your PC screen into the perfect Karaoke machine.

You can simply download the two files and OPEN the VLC player. Next DRAG the CDF file into the window. Next you “right” CLICK ON the MP3 file (do not drag it) and select from the drop down menu that will appear .. “play with VCL Media Player”.

Too Cool!

Thanks Richard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:12:45 PM by DrakeM »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
Well my workflow will seem out of the Ark. I first think of the song I want. I then find a suitable style. Then I create the registrations I want. All I do now is sit and play it. Record it if I need to.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:33:40 AM »
Nothing wrong with that Eileen. I love playing live as well.

BTW folks the Genos will play MP3 files and it will read the CDG lyrics and display them as lyrics. You can play and sing along and record the result in your Genos audio recorder to make a great song.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:42:16 AM by RichardL »

Offline markstyles

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
For an original tune, I create a chord progression, put it into Logic Pro, sync Genos up to Logic and record style parts into Logic to play with..  I'll often play the chords, perhaps with a piano melody for time being, and audition styles to use.. I copy those styles into the temporary Genos workspace..  I usually check out a lot of styles.. As I record parts into Logic, I name the region  something like 'elect piano. 80's dance style'.. So I can find that particular part and style again later, if I want to change something..

Sometimes it is good to create a 'palette of sounds to use', much like a painter, puts samples of the colors he wants to use on his pallet.  Each person will of course have a slightly or radically different manner of working..   I experiment quite a bit, different parts are from different styles, I overdub them in, one at a time.. I often hand play the original idea, or edit, the Genos part to suit my needs better..  If you experiment Label your versions.. I just use consecutive #'s,, and make a live reference mix of it also.. So I can get back to the one good idea I had three days ago, and forgot. 

EileenL, your workflow is a direct and straightforward..  You don't have to waste a lot of time, second guessing how you want it to sound..

Pino

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
Eileen knows Yamaha keyboards inside and out.
But You make it sound so easy.  :)

I’m sure that at times you are playing that style and it sounds very busy
cos there is a guitar on CHD1 and another guitar on PHR1.
then you go to turn the guitar on PHR1 off or reduce the volume and then
you decide to add a bit more reverb to the guitar and then more volume
To RHY2 and change the strings to Hah Choir.

Then you save your edited style to "User Styles"
Or to a Registration. I prefer to "User Styles"

And before you know it an hour has past by,
Now you have a better style,

Regards

Pino

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
Well my workflow will seem out of the Ark. I first think of the song I want. I then find a suitable style. Then I create the registrations I want. All I do now is sit and play it. Record it if I need to.

That's the way my workflow is too even preparing new tunes for gigs.   Depending on the gig I add the tunes/registrations to a few playlists I use.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

keynote

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
What I do is just start playing around with different musical ideas and when something clicks I usually try to explore it further and then try to develop a particular composition around the inspiration that I had. I continue practicing the composition until I feel confident enough to record the song directly to my computer. I usually use various styles to form compositions with and in some cases I will also use multi-track software to add to the original composition when I feel it would enhance the song. As an example here is a song I did about 14 years ago on my Tyros 1. I used a preset style and preset voices and then recorded the song directly into my computer DAW recording software. After the composition was recorded I decided to add additional strings near the end of the song using PG Music's PowerTracks Pro multi-track software. The added strings were done in one take as was also the original composition. It's simply titled "Orchestral" and I hope you enjoy it. PS: The original Tyros which I owned for several years I later sold and I also recently sold my Tyros 3 which I kind of regret now that I think about it.

Orchestral

Mike

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:39 PM »
: The original Tyros which I owned for several years I later sold and I also recently sold my Tyros 3 which I kind of regret now that I think about it.

Orchestral

Mike

Mike, I’m curious why do you regret selling the t3?

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

keynote

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »
Mike, I’m curious why do you regret selling the t3?

Hi Stephen. I think the main reason is not having a backup keyboard just in case something goes wrong with my Genos. I recently sold my Fantom G7 also so now my only keyboard is the Genos. I might end up buying an inexpensive board like the recently released Casio CT-X Series just to have an extra keyboard on hand. The Genos of course is far superior to the Tyros 3 in many ways not the least of which is quicker file loading as well as quicker file transfers. And the fact that it has more polyphony and better sounds. And that it has 76 keys and it's lighter than the Tyros 3 if you can believe it. The Genos is a keeper for sure.

All the best,

Mike

Offline Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 12:22:59 AM »
In my case it is different.
I write now how I created 2,500 compositions in less than five years.
1 /. I choose the right style, which must encourage me to improvise. Either it has an interesting intro or the accompaniment runs are interesting or interesting rhythm.
2 /. I match the right style, in my opinion, the right hand sound, I choose pads or multipads and record the OTS sequences.
3 / .I turn on recording the song and at the same time I start to play. This is improvisation.
As I play, I change rhythmic rhythms, I have to take care of the correct chords and at the same time I create a melody - a song.
4 /. After a few minutes I have a ready composition.
5 /. I write it on a pendrive and transfer it to the computer desktop. I check the duration
and I choose the right photos from my own collection for the melody.
6 / .I start Photo Story 3 for Windows (free program).
7 / .With the help of the program, I create a slide show with music, which is always my next composition.
8 /. The final screening is on YouTube. And that's all.
Regards
Ryszard
A day without making music is a lost day :)
https://psrtutorial.com/perf/ryszard.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:23 AM »
Hello Richard! My workflow is simple, but it works for me. Here is what I do:
1. I get a tune in my head that won't stop bothering me.
2. I fire up the keyboard and find a suitable style. Sometimes it is the other way around. I fint a style that begs me to make a
   melody for it.
3. I use the MIDI recorder on the keyboard to make a recording, so I won't forget my "work of art."
4. I listen to the recording, make amends, changes and so on untill I am satisfied. That means overwriting the recording several
    times.
5. I use my laptop with the free DAW Audacity, and connect it to the keyboard via my beautiful Scarlett 2i2 Focusrite audio
    interface. Then I make one MP3 version of the song and one Wav version.
6. I send the MP3 to this forum and hope that my friends like my tune  ;)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
I agree with Eileen and Steve - I hear a song, determine the style needed to perform it, then sit down and play and sing it in front of the audience. I sometimes record the song to be sure I'm doing everything right.

All The Best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »
Hi Stephen. I think the main reason is not having a backup keyboard just in case something goes wrong with my Genos. I recently sold my Fantom G7 also so now my only keyboard is the Genos. I might end up buying an inexpensive board like the recently released Casio CT-X Series just to have an extra keyboard on hand. The Genos of course is far superior to the Tyros 3 in many ways not the least of which is quicker file loading as well as quicker file transfers. And the fact that it has more polyphony and better sounds. And that it has 76 keys and it's lighter than the Tyros 3 if you can believe it. The Genos is a keeper for sure.

All the best,

Mike

Thanks Mike, it certainly is a wise bet to have a back up keyboard.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »
When you perform for a living, you must have backups!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...