Author Topic: The future of Yamaha arranger features  (Read 8922 times)

Bachus

The future of Yamaha arranger features
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:13:42 AM »
Do you remember the psr e453?

It was the instrument where live knobs and deejay styles where born
Now there is a follow up, the psr e463
It follows along the line of the 453..
There are 2 new features that catch your eye :

-groove creation
-quick sampling

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/602/yamaha-arrangers-new-features

I bet this is what the future of all yamaha arrangers of the S series holds for us. And even the GENOS 2....  makes you wonder in what form this will find its way to the Genos 2.

Offline Joe H

Re: The future of Yamaha arranger features
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:38:12 AM »
Hi Bachus,

It's nice to see you posting again.  It is strange that Yamaha introduces its new features on low-priced models. The buyers for these keyboards is different than the S series or TOTL arranger. 

But what we know is that Yamaha's marketing strategy is very small incremental changes.  You and I are on the same page when it comes to the quality of the features and implementation.  The Genos fell short on several technical issues.

I think the release of the S975 was a strange marketing decision.  But I agree that what we see in the e463 is what is to come with the next PSR S series.  In fact the S975, corrected some of the shortcomings of the S970.

We will just have to wait and see what the next PSR Sxxx will bring.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:12:59 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:45 AM »
Hello Bachus and Joe H. Maybe yamaha will surprise us with some extra and very important functions in the next mid-range arranger such as: sampling, in-depth sound editing (OS1, OS2, OS3 ........ ..OS8, AND HIGH PASS FILTER, LOW PASS FILTER, etc,) integrated Audio and Midi sequencer, with audio parts editing (INSERT, CUT, ERASE, COPY, COMBINE, MIX) and finally, record all its interpretation (styles, midi and audio songs, microphone, pads) in high quality Mp3 format. This would be a technological breakthrough in the range of mid-range array keyboards. we will see more more software tools in the line of GENOS, (maybe in 4 or 5 years) but at the moment it performs very well for the current needs.  Greetings    Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:00:04 AM »
The "Groove Creator" isn't really a new feature. It was introduced to the PSR-E line back in 2012 on the PSR-E433. It has been called "DJ Patterns" up until now-- or "Tabla/Tanpura Patterns" on the PSR-I455-- but Yamaha decided to rename it to "Groove Creator," which presumably has a more appealing ring to it for young musicians than "DJ Patterns" does. The "Tabla/Tanpura Patterns" do function a little bit differently, but I think it's still basically the same feature.

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
i can imagine that someone with just a little knowledge of playing music can do lots of stuff with these new keyboards and have lots of fun.
There are many dj's are out there who don't know to play keyboards but they do know so many things about remixing/sambling and all these new weird stuff  ;D
These kind of keyboards will help more people to play music.
And that is good.

You are not having the skills of been a good pianist or keybordist but you do like to play music even if that is the very basics?
Play some melody with your right hand and control the rest with your left hand.
Keyboard's artificial intelligence will help and follow you.
If you are are getting good at playing, gradually you can move to a more demanting/expencive model.

Offline Daniel_ARG

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:43 AM »
The "Groove Creator" isn't really a new feature. It was introduced to the PSR-E line back in 2012 on the PSR-E433. It has been called "DJ Patterns" up until now-- or "Tabla/Tanpura Patterns" on the PSR-I455-- but Yamaha decided to rename it to "Groove Creator," which presumably has a more appealing ring to it for young musicians than "DJ Patterns" does. The "Tabla/Tanpura Patterns" do function a little bit differently, but I think it's still basically the same feature.

In the old PSR-740 (year 2000 or so) it was possible to change the groove and dynamics in real time, 'cause it had a dedicated button for that. You could not really create a groove, but you coud edit it with some flexibility. The new PSR-S have this function too, but not with a dedicated button, but menu navigating, so it's not so easy to use. I believe most of players doesn' t know theese functions.

Regards,

Daniel

The following users thanked this post: EB5AGV