Author Topic: Music scanning questions  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Grayfox

Music scanning questions
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

QUESTION 1

I have an iPad Air which I am using now in place of sheet music.
However, I am using the scanning program that came with my HP printer, which is really frustrating.
It doesn’t do the following,

1 You can’t add in pages of you have missed one out, only at the end, which you cannot move.
2 You can’t copy and paste a page for a repeat( I don’t like using the back button on my foot                .   controller)
3. You can’t add several PDF’S together in a file.
4. Once finished you cannot edit it

I like to work in books, ie I scan all the pages and repeat pages of the songs in a book, if I make a mistake, I have to start all over again from the beginning.
I am sure someone can point me to a scanner program that does the above, can anyone help please?

QUESTION 2

Does anyone know if you can connect an Ipad to a TV?  if this is possible I could place my IPad on a chair by me and use my foot controller to change the TV which I could fix on the wall in front of me, which would be cheaper than buying the bigger IPad.
I think if you have an Apple TV you can do this using the screen monitoring Icon on the IPad.

Graham
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Offline stephenm52

Re: Music scanning questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
I use Scanner Pro available at the Apple App Store, works for scanning sheet music and /or books.  It's not a fast way of scanning but for the amount of scanning I need to do it works fine.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
Grayfox,
Most scanners work as you say yours works.
What you need to do the things you want to do is Adobe Acrobat PDF Editor.
The only problem is that like all Adobe products it is not cheap.
But with it you can do all of the things you are looking to do.

To answer your second question, you can connect your iPad to any smart wifi TV, it doesn’t have to be an Apple TV.

Hope this helps,
Rick D.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:32:00 PM by Rick D. »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
If you're creating a PDF document from the scanned images, there are free or inexpensive programs that let you split a PDF, as well as join PDFs together. So if you leave a page out and have to tack it onto the end of the document, just split the document into 3-- up to where the missing page should go, then the part after the missing page, then the missing page-- and rejoin the 3 parts in the correct order. I use the free version of the Bullzip PDF printer, which lets me print anything to PDF instead of to a printer, and then I can print pages from the PDF to a new PDF, or append more pages to the end of a PDF. But there are utilities which are even simpler than that to use.

As for connecting to a TV, I think the answer will depend on what kind of inputs the TV has. If it has HDMI, I think most tablets these days have an HDMI adapter so you can stream movies and TV shows onto the "big screen." For that matter, if it's a newer smart TV, it might have an app that lets you broadcast content from a computer or tablet to the TV, although there might be some noticeable latency due to the content having to go from the computer to the router to the TV. For most things the latency won't matter. But for things like playing video games or playing virtual instruments the latency is just enough to be **** annoying.

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
Thanks, Michael, Rick and Steve for your help.
I think I will try the Scanner Pro, for £4 can’t go wrong.

And I need to buy an IPad to HDMI connector.

Thanks again
Graham
Graham Foxall

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
I hook my iPad up to my Samsung smart TV over wifi, no adapter needed.

Rick D.

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:04 AM »
I hook my iPad up to my Samsung smart TV over wifi, no adapter needed.

Rick D.
How do you do that?
I have a new Samsung smart TV with WIFI direct, which does not show up in my IPad WIFI settings.
Graham
Graham Foxall

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 03:56:53 AM »
Graham,

You can use an app called Mirror for SamsungTV, available at the App Store.
If your TV and iPad are fairly new it will work.
I have never used this for sheet music, but it will show anything on your iPad screen to your TV.
There is a slight delay between pages, you would have to try it while playing live to see if it is satisfactory.

Rick D. 

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
Laterly most of the times I use this free program for managing pdf files easilly at my office work and at home.
(combine-merge-extract-virtual pdf printer etc)

https://en.pdf24.org/

and here are some other online free programs as well

http://document.online-convert.com/convert-to-pdf
http://www.pdfmerge.com/
http://smallpdf.com

Just do your scanning on your Hp prinder as Michael said and then edit pdf files with on line programs or downloadable programs on your pc or i pad.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:55:03 AM »
Panos and I were posting at the same time, Graham, and I see he's already mentioned the great tools of PDF24, which I use also.  You may want to try PDF24 to see if it fits your needs.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: CrzyCDN

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:59 AM »
All the above are very knowledgeable and experts who I admire for their help here. You CAN (it is called) Mirror your iPad to the TV Screen thru Apple TV. (The Apple TV connects thru HDML to the TV and the iPad works bluetooth thru the little Apple TV box).

You haven't addressed the music app you are using to organize your music on the iPad. I use the APP "Forscore" as do many members here. And, you can add pages, cut and rearrange the "score" or songs within the scanned documents to make for easy Medleys, arrangements, repeats, etc. I know several also you Songbook and perhaps it will do this as well. I scan from my all in one Brother laser printer (VERY CHEAP and toner is far less than ink would ever be), which scans well to my computer. After I scan a book, or receive music here from the charter files, I download it to the iPad, then bookmark each song with important search data so I have a comprehensive index (which is easily searchable) of all the music held there. The APP that you will use is almost more important than the scanner you use. Hope this helps. Best to all..
John

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 03:59:45 AM »
I have not been able to get back to this for a while so would just like to thank everyone who has offered a solution to my questions.
The members just amaze me with how they take so much time to help others.
Thank you everyone.
Graham.
Graham Foxall

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
Hi Panos

Better still for Pdf and lots of other conversions and it is free. No waste of time with online converters that sometimes does not work straight away.
Make Pdf ,scan pics to pdf, merge music sheets and un-merge them
Merging good for Mobile Sheets program for android screens, such as the HP Slate 21.
You will have to download ghostscript first.Instructions on site.

Pdf fill .The only thing is to not load everything up It says on the site  unless you want It
all the best
John                        https://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:26:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox