Author Topic: Why not USB audio in the new PSR-S line?  (Read 4296 times)

arvacon

Why not USB audio in the new PSR-S line?
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
My psr-e453 has this nice future that they call it "USB audio" via "usb to host" port and I really miss this at my new s770.

It was a useful future for me, as I could record audio sound at my android tablet straightly and I could share it with just 1-2 clicks. Also I was using this to play music from the tablet to the keyboard instead of using the analog audio input of the keyboard. The good thing with the usb audio was that the sound was clean and it had zero noise background from the tablet, as opposite to the headphone jack audio output, that it produce a small but annoying buzz sound, when the tablet goes to sleep mode.

I understand that this is a certainly new future, as it came with the psr-e453 model, so the older psr-s770/s970 had not this function back in 2015, but what I don't understand is, why Yamaha didn't include this function at the new psr-s line keyboards of 2018.

Is it because they finally didn't change a thing at the circuit of these units and they just upgraded them with some more software futures only or finally the usb audio funtion has no future at all?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:03:18 AM by arvacon »

SeaGtGruff

Re: Why not USB audio in the new PSR-S line?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
It's possible that they didn't think it was necessary. You can do everything you need-- from balancing the different tracks, adding effects, applying compression, etc., and then mixing everything down to an audio file-- right on the keyboard, without needing to use a DAW on a computer. You can't do all of that on the PSR-E models. And if you do want to work in a DAW, you can record the tracks to audio files on the keyboard, then import the audio files into your DAW.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, because I think USB audio would be a desirable feature on any keyboard. But they might have thought that it's superfluous.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
Sometimes they use the E- lines to experiment with features which may finally bubble up the range, for example arpeggios and live control started out on the E series.

Your S770 will allow you to record audio straight to a USB stick, you can then copy that file wherever you want. I think it's true though that for input, you can only use the analog AUX IN.

Genos has a digital OUT (might be hard to hook up to a tablet) but it doesn't appear to have a digital IN either.

Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
USB Audio was included on the $500 MX keyboard.  But as Michael suggests.  The MX does not have a built-in sequencer but rather comes bundled with a special Cubase AI that will integrate the MX with Cubase.  On the other hand, the higher Motif models have a built-in sequencer and also USB Audio

So... if we ever see ever see USB Audio included in the mid-range arranger, I hope Yamaha does not take away the sequencer.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:36:09 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »
I'm going to borrow a phrase from the farming community Viticulture (growing of grapes) in particular.  I think there has been some "dead wood" at Yamaha Japan, that is stuck in the past. While the lower-end keyboards are considered "toys" by some people, they incorporated a simple arpeggiator.  The contradiction is that the flagship Motif synth line also features an arpeggiator that is 10 times the simple arp now found in  the S970 and Genos.

My point being that the arranger has evolved over 30 years from a simple keyboard with 100 Voices and 60 built-in styles to the new generation Genos.  So maybe Yamaha got rid of the dead wood or is just slow to catch up with the new arranger player who wants more of the "synth" features and sounds.

Lets hope the trend continues.

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:37:19 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

arvacon

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:32:44 AM »
But I would bet that Yamaha didn't change a thing about these 2 new models hardware. They just changed paint and memory chips, they did a software upgrade and the new psr-s line was ready.
When we will find the service manual of them, the mystery will solved, but it is almost obvious that this has happened.

I suppose that they have win some time for the development of the new "genos mini" style psr-s keyboard.