Author Topic: Tutorial: Genos voice editing with YEM (split/layer)  (Read 182 times)

Offline pjd

Tutorial: Genos voice editing with YEM (split/layer)
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »
Hi --

Just finished the fourth tutorial article about creating and editing a Genos custom voice using YEM. The example scenario assembles a new split and layered normal voice starting with elements taken from factory preset voices.

Here are links to the each of the tutorial's four parts:

Yamaha people should take note: YEM is not sufficient to display and edit all of the voice parameters needed for this usage scenario. I needed to edit the UVF file (XML) directly. Everyday users are unlikely to have this level of expertise or tools (e.g., XML Notepad).

Once I get time, I'll write a short critique and send it to Yamaha support as well as posting the critique to the PSR Tutorial Forum.

Hey, hey, I hope this helps out -- pj
The following users thanked this post: SeaGtGruff, StuartR

Offline Flemming

Re: Tutorial: Genos voice editing with YEM (split/layer)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »
Thanks for your detailed documents pjd.

I have some problems with why user voice, that I want to use for a separate bass-pedal. I want to put a split to the sounds on the pedals, so that the lowest notes from C to Eb sound as 8' voice, and from E and up it is 16' voice - just like a bass-guitar.

But I can't make this i YEM. But you gave me hope that it could be possible to make these bass-voices out of preset voices. I need more time to read your stuff to get sure not to destroy anything.

I wrote a letter (before christmas) to Yamaha about the missing possibility to change preset voice, but I never had an answer from them. I hope that YEM at some point in the future will be updated to version 3.0, where they build in the facility - but I'm afraid that my hope are not worth a penny.

I hope I understand you right, that it is possible - theoretical at least.

All the best - Flemming, Denmark
Yamaha electone organ: D3 (70's), HS6, EL90
Yamaha Keyboards: PSR 7000, 8000, 9000, 9000pro, Tyros 1,2,3,4,5-76

Offline Joe H

Re: Tutorial: Genos voice editing with YEM (split/layer)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:27:11 PM »
Maybe YEM will look like this one day.

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs: