Author Topic: Initial Touch Button  (Read 4811 times)

CmajSid

Initial Touch Button
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »
Hello All,

I seem to have a very light touch when playing the keyboard. I have reset the keyboard to soft touch 2 and put my voices up to 127 but still have problems for example with Breathy Sax. I would like to know if there is any other adjustments I could make without turning the initial Touch Off. The sounds seem so much more realistic to me with the initial touch on. It just seems as though you have to hit the keys so hard? I would just like to add I am very new to keyboard playing and have taken it up in my retirement but would very much appreciate any advice given.

Many thanks

Sid.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Initial Touch Button
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
I seem to have a very light touch when playing the keyboard. I have reset the keyboard to soft touch 2 and put my voices up to 127 but still have problems for example with Breathy Sax. I would like to know if there is any other adjustments I could make without turning the initial Touch Off. The sounds seem so much more realistic to me with the initial touch on. It just seems as though you have to hit the keys so hard? I would just like to add I am very new to keyboard playing and have taken it up in my retirement but would very much appreciate any advice given.

Your initial touch setting is fine. But you should not all your voices at 127, because it gives you so little flexibility. Why not just turn the main volume up?

There are also volume controls in Voice Set, and in the Mixer. You can try adjusting those.

But if all your voices are low, just turn up the main volume.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »
In voice set try raising the offset to around 75. You can then save as a user voice or save straight into a registration. I do this quite a lot on some voices to keep the touch pressure the same with some voices that are a little softer than others.

CmajSid

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:52 PM »
Hello Fred & Eileen,

Many thanks for you tips I will make some of your suggested changes and see how I get on. It seems like I do not strike the keys with the same pressure as I go from say the forefinger to the small finger the sound of the instrument weakens. As I said I am very new and are only able to play single finger right hand, perhaps I should spend some time trying to build up the fingers with scales or something??

Many thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Sid.

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:26:07 AM »
Hi --

Sometimes the best way to increase the volume of a part is to decrease the volume of something else. For example, if I find myself turning RIGHT1 way up to 127, I take a breath, and turn the style, backing track, whatever down, in order to make a solo part stand out in the mix.

Hope this helps -- pj