Author Topic: Genos arrived!!  (Read 9869 times)

Genos arrived!!
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
Hi team,

I'm now a proud owner of the new Genos! Here's what I've done so far:
  • Formatted a USB drive on the Genos, and then updated the OS.
  • Imported all my registrations from the T5
  • Played my guts out

Impressions:
  • Genos has a totally different sound, just like everyone here has said - very real! Even though Yamaha has used a fair number of the same styles, they've really upgraded the sounds. The Revo drums are killer!
  • My wife says it sounds more mellow. I interpret that as more "true to life."
  • Most of my T5 registrations work but the balances are way out, so I must go through one at a time and fix them. No worries with that. I expected that.
  • The OS system is very slick. I was able to make most adjustments just by inspection. Things are in relatively the same place, with some minor variations.
  • The pianos are finally very good. I'm able to trade my Nord Electro 5. I think the Genos pianos are even better, which amazes me. I was very skeptical at first. That could have been a deal breaker for me. I'm really glad the pianos are that good, and there are tons of them!

The only thing left (for now) is to find where I set the default for when I choose a style. I want the A variation to be selected with Intro II. If someone can steer me in the right direction, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll check the manual.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline guitpic1

Re: Genos arrived!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
Congrats!
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Congrats, Enjoy!

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
Congratulations and enjoy your new Genos.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
....I'm now a proud owner of the new Genos!...

CONGRATULATIONS.  :D
Nice machine to play, isn't it?  ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
Lee,

A HUGE CONGRATULATONS to you!! I know you have been waiting and waiting for the Genos and now you can play and forget about sleeping.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline StuartR

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
It's about time. I'm glad it was worth the wait, even though Yamaha took it in the shorts for their slowwww presence in the Canadian provinces.  🤣
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:48:41 PM by StuartR »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »
Congratulations that your long wait is over .. and that it's met your expectations!
Genos

Marcus

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:03 PM »
Congrats Lee
You waited a long time. Glad you decided on the Genos in the end.

My Tyros 5 registrations worked fine when I first used them. I don't remember any balances being off with my registrations, but I certainly planned to rework them with the newer upgraded Genos voices, drums, styles, and DSPs.

On my Tyros 5, I really loved the Real Reverb DSP, especially assigned in the main reverb block. Check out the new Real Reverb+ (plus) DSP, especially the Large Real Reverb+. A high quality reverb with added presence. If you like it and it suits your music genre, lock this reverb with Parameter Lock in the Menu section. When you rework and re-save all your registrations, the assigned Large Real Reverb + will become your default reverb for all your channels, voices and registrations.

I find this reverb setting perfect for most of my sounds and registrations, deviating with a few exceptions when I need a drier effect or towards those long reverbs for my pipe organ voices. High quality DSPs combined with the Genos higher quality sound output is very stunning and will allow me to make higher quality recordings.

I spent the last couple of months reworking all my Tyros 5 registrations and upgrading all my styles, multipads and voices. I am pretty much ready to gig now with my Genos. My creative direction has increased 3-fold with this amazing arranger. I just don't feel the restrictions the Tyros 5 was giving me. I most likely will skip the next Genos model, for I am really pleased with my Genos arranger into the coming years.

As I got used to the new OS and touch screen, I grown to love it. Song - Style - Multipad Creators are so much easier and faster to edit. The touch screen is wonderful. For more speed, shut off the screen transition function. You don't need fancy transitions between functions and screens.

Just love the Genos Style Creator as I rework all my Tyros 5 custom styles. I find that typically I must back off the volumes of the Revo Drum tracks by 5 to 10 on volume, but once dialed in, the customized Genos styles and programming are absolutely stunning and real. Very few of the Genos styles sound anywhere close to the Tyros 5 version, not mentioning the brand new styles and tons of brand new multipads and style Mega voices. I am almost overwhelmed with the choices, but I love it.

One feature I discovered that I simply love is when you are editing in Style Creator, selecting and assigning a new voice for a style channel, navigation is easier with the touch screen, but if you touch and hold the voice icon on your selected voice the original assign voice pops back. I no longer have to remember, guess or re-navigate back to the original assign voice if I wish to cancel my new voice selection. I don't remember being able to do this on my Tyros 5. Because the Tyros 5 sliders and buttons are missing below the Genos screen, you can still use the + and - buttons near the enter button, pressing at the same time to get the default channel volume again.

Lots of nice new refinements Yamaha integrated into the new OS. When I go back to my Tyros 5, I actually fine navigation cumbersome with the buttons. That nice large Genos screen helps as well.

Yes, the pianos are great. I still use one of my favourite Tyros 5 custom piano settings. I just added some damper DSP to the voice and will continue using it until I get a chance to tweak some of the Genos pianos. Not that most Genos voices need tweaking, but I like optimizing all settings that sound better for me and genre of music I like using.

Lastly, I love the extra keys over my Tyros 5-61, and the quite noticeable difference in lighter weight of the Genos. Never been that excited over a board before, as much as I did like the Tyros series. I having even fooled around with the YEM yet, except to load my existing expansion.

The recent new Genos Style offerings at YamahaMusicSoft are stunningly more real. I have my eyes set on a couple for the next 20% off sale. The future certainly looks good for this fantastic arranger and the creative potential into the coming years.

Marcus
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:23:27 PM by Marcus »

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
Hi Lee --

Glad to hear that your Genos has finally arrived! Have fun!

-- pj

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:15:33 AM »
Congratulations on your new Genos.
What a fantastic board. ...
I personally started all my registrations from scratch,  since it is such a different board and I wanted to have the best sound possible .
Have fun exploring.
I find new things every day.
Eric
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:21:09 AM by Eric, B »
Genos, PSR-S970

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »
Thank you so much everyone! It is a stunning keyboard. Sorry for the late reply, but I think you know what I've been doing :).

Thanks to this forum, I was able to figure out the transition process. I saved all the T5 Registrations, Custom styles, and System Styles to a USB drive and connected it to the top USB port on the Genos. I'm checking each Registration to make sure all's well. My newly adjusted styles are saved to a 64 GB USB drive. I would like to move everything onto the User drive on the Genos, but I assume the System styles and Custom styles would have to be moved as well? I still find it odd that we need to work from a USB drive, whether installed permanently or not?? The very idea behind a USB drive is that its removable. That means its a temporary transfer device, not permanently hooked up to a computer.

It will take me about 15 to 20 hours to check everything, but it will be worth it. The store where I bought the Genos (Long and McQuade, Oshawa, ON, Canada) worked me a very sweet trade-in deal on my Nord and T5. They also "lent me back" my T5 for the next week or so for me to ensure everything is updated on the Genos.

I'm practicing tomorrow with it, and I'm sure my fellow entertainers will be blown away! Thanks again for all the help. There are fun times ahead!

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:22 AM »
Congrats Lee! Happy playing :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:09:45 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 03:26:05 AM »
I would like to move everything onto the User drive on the Genos, but I assume the System styles and Custom styles would have to be moved as well? I still find it odd that we need to work from a USB drive, whether installed permanently or not??

Lee,

I'm the same as you -- I want everything on the User drive. Then I don't have to fiddle with USB sticks.

You don't have to move the custom styles (a registration on the User drive can easily find a style on a USB drive), but then you'd still have the USB stick, so what's the point?

Moving to the User drive takes work because the drive has separate folders for each type of file. You will need to use Murray's program to batch modify each of your registrations.

But it can be done.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 03:51:09 AM »
Thanks Fred. For now, perhaps I'll invest in two more USB drives (they're very cheap now) and keep two backups for gigs - one in a road box, one in the car. Don't know why Yamaha had to make things so complicated! Weird that they came out with a killer board and yet, the file system is on Mars somewhere.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 04:03:27 AM »
Hi Lee.
Congrats, and use it with pleasure! :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 04:26:17 AM »
Sure will, Vali!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 05:01:59 AM »
... For now, perhaps I'll invest in two more USB drives (they're very cheap now) and keep two backups for gigs - one in a road box, one in the car. ....

Quote from manual about the port at bottom:
Using the USB TO DEVICE terminal underneath the instrument
Genos has a convenient extra USB TO DEVICE terminal underneath the instrument, allowing you to semi-permanently
install USB flash drive that will always be available and be protected from harm or loss.

I've also seen written somewhere at Yamahas website that this port was done specially because of gigging users whishes, to prevent the USB stick to easy be stolen during a gig,
So, to put the gigset to a stick at that port, and have a backup just in case seems to be a good and safe solution as well as you have your files intact if the keyboard fail.
Good thing that Genos gives us several solutions for each to choose. :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 05:35:47 AM »
Never thought of that, Jonny. Thanks for the info. I will do that as soon as I finish cleaning up all my registrations.

Something else comes to mind - with all the T5 info on the stick, we are basically bringing the T5 to every gig, while running it through a far superior processor :).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 06:00:33 AM »
Hi! I also like to keep things in the user drive, and when I got my S970 I believed I had endless space for my styles and songs, but that is not the case. The S series do not have hidden USB port, but there are micro USB sticks now that are very small, and can be kept in the keyboard. It is fun to think you transferred your Tyros to the Genos. In a way that is what we all do now, we use styles from other keyboards, thereby breaking boundaries. The Genos is a fantastic keyboard. Have fun :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:02:35 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 06:35:42 AM »
Thanks for confirming that, Toril!

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention - my Genos has a surface flaw. I've mention it to my dealer. Not sure where this is going. Normally, Yamaha would just replace the keyboard, but they aren't exactly in high abundance at the moment.

The flaw is a 3/4 inch long mark from what appears to be a black magic marker. See pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline StuartR

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention - my Genos has a surface flaw. I've mention it to my dealer. Not sure where this is going. Normally, Yamaha would just replace the keyboard, but they aren't exactly in high abundance at the moment.

The flaw is a 3/4 inch long mark from what appears to be a black magic marker. See pic.

I assume you've tried removing it using some GlueBeGone or similar product like rubbing alcohol?

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »

Stuart is correct, Lee.  You can use a pencil eraser (I use a mylar eraser), sunscreen, Goo Gone, dry erase marker or rubbing alcohol to remove permanent marker from plastic.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

megatih

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »

Hi, you could try using a dry erase marker and draw over the area of the mark, then rub off. This usually works but I would may try in a discreet location first to be safe.

The following users thanked this post: Tri Ngo

Offline valimaties

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 04:00:25 PM »

I know it is hard there, as I read, about waiting time, but personally, I will try to speak with my dealer, when it is possible to change it. It is not fair after a long time waiting, and for the amount of money paid, the keyboard comes with this kind of flaw  :( You have looked at the keys? Have they fine scratches? Maybe it was a keyboard used for demo in a showroom!

Regards,
Vali 

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Stijn

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »
A few drops of WD40 may help.
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
If this was on the keyboard when you got it, I would not do much to remove it before you've got advice from your dealer. If the box has been opened before you got it, maybe that the time when this mark was made.
If it's marker pen, usually it's possible to clean, but some markers are really hardstuff, and you may get a new and more visible field on the surface.
As long as it doesen't harm and you have no problem to live with it, ask for a rebate / refound. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! I have made contact, by email message, with my dealer. I'll wait to see what he tells me to do. If they replace the keyboard, am I correct in my assumption that all the work I'm doing, which is stored on a USB stick, can be simply plugged into a new Genos, and I'd be up and running instantly?

This begs the next question: all the work on my current Genos is transfer material from my T5. If I create a new song registration, style, or voice edit, should I continue to store it on the USB stick installed under my Genos? I'm starting to see the logic in this USB stick idea, as opposed to storing everything on the internal SSD. If I had a gig in Western Canada, I could leave my Genos at home, rent a Genos in Vancouver, and just plug my USB stick in on stage. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Offline zionip

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! I have made contact, by email message, with my dealer. I'll wait to see what he tells me to do. If they replace the keyboard, am I correct in my assumption that all the work I'm doing, which is stored on a USB stick, can be simply plugged into a new Genos, and I'd be up and running instantly?

This begs the next question: all the work on my current Genos is transfer material from my T5. If I create a new song registration, style, or voice edit, should I continue to store it on the USB stick installed under my Genos? I'm starting to see the logic in this USB stick idea, as opposed to storing everything on the internal SSD. If I had a gig in Western Canada, I could leave my Genos at home, rent a Genos in Vancouver, and just plug my USB stick in on stage. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Lee,

This really depends on whether you only use the Preset voices and styles on the Genos or not.  If you only use the Preset voices and styles on Genos, then your plan works.  However, if you also use voices and styles from expansion packs, then your plan may not be ideal since you will have to install the same expansion packs on the rental Genos to make it work.  Some expansion packs, especially the ones from third parties, are locked to the registered Genos serial number / instrument information file, and so cannot be installed on another Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »
Be careful with solvents especially Goo B Gone as they tend to eat some plastics!

Rick D.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:35 PM »
Thanks Paul!

Agreed, Rick. If my dealer says to try some sort of cleaner, I will first try it on an obscure place. I suspect they'll replace the keyboard. I could try a dilute dish soap solution, but I doubt it will work.

Vali, the keys were perfect and shiny. I picked it up from my dealer in a factory sealed box, so some careless idiot caused the problem at the factory. Probably an inspector. How ironic is that?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 06:14:45 AM »
Solvents are not to be used on plastic!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:28 AM »
About the flaw:

I tried Vim - a very safe cleaner that works well on kitchen cabinets, WD40, Moovit - a pentrating oil. Nothing worked or harmed the surface. I know acetone would take it off but also ruin the surface. I dabbed the spot with a wee bit of acetone on a Q-Tip, and at least the obvious shiny spot is gone, but the plastic is slightly duller than the factory finish. I took the lesser of two evils.

My dealer contacted Yamaha, Toronto and they said they'd be glad to swap mine out for a new one, but they're not expecting any new ones until July! Apparently, the Genos has sold more to date than the T5 did in its first year. Hence, why we had to wait so long. Yamaha didn't really want to take back a 5 month old Genos and instead, offered me a generous cash settlement, which I took. I'm happy. It's kind of like your new car that receives its first parking lot ding. My Genos has a slight cosmetic flaw. Now I can sleep :).

Online Grayfox

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
WOW, I think I will mark mine then, with a black wipe off marker and send YAMAHA a picture then I can wipe it off again. Could be worth a few quid.
Gtaham.
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers