Author Topic: Best Master Registration setting for Genos  (Read 8353 times)

Wil5560

Best Master Registration setting for Genos
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:25:55 AM »
Would be interesting to learn from others what settings are being used in your master / default registration setting with your new Genos?

What else eg next to split point are being used?

Thanks a lot for sharing your best experience

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Best Master Registration setting for Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »
Hi,
Genos is not Tyros 6 which in many instances  creates problems for ex-Tyronians like me.  Yamaha has put the cart in front of the horse compared to Tyros  5.  You must put absolutely EVERYTHING you want to be recalled under the registry bank's every button.  There are no "global" settings. That is not the best but the ONLY setting that makes sense and only one that worked on the two I have.  But let us hope you do not have the problem I have on 2 Genos keyboards that the importer kindly gave me for testing. Both have the same problem I have at 83.  The memory at least of these two is unreliable. After a while (many power cycles)  they are corrupted and you have to put in a huge amount of work again. PLEASE let me know whether you encounter that problem also.

Kindest regards from a sunny but cold ans snowy Finland

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:41:23 AM »
This should go without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway... :)

Once you get ANYTHING the way you want it, SAVE it, and BACK IT UP in multiple locations. Even if the entire memory of the Genos takes a dump, you should have the ability on hand to restore it completely in mere minutes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:42:42 AM by KeyboardByBiggs »
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
Hi,
Genos is not Tyros 6 which in many instances  creates problems for ex-Tyronians like me.  Yamaha has put the cart in front of the horse compared to Tyros  5.  You must put absolutely EVERYTHING you want to be recalled under the registry bank's every button.  There are no "global" settings. That is not the best but the ONLY setting that makes sense and only one that worked on the two I have.  But let us hope you do not have the problem I have on 2 Genos keyboards that the importer kindly gave me for testing. Both have the same problem I have at 83.  The memory at least of these two is unreliable. After a while (many power cycles)  they are corrupted and you have to put in a huge amount of work again. PLEASE let me know whether you encounter that problem also.

Kindest regards from a sunny but cold ans snowy Finland

This is not correct.

In fact, the Genos has more global settings than a Tyros (for example, Genos will remember your pedal settings, whereas Tyros always returned to the default after a power off).

While I used a setup registration on my Tyros, I find no need for one with the Genos. I assign what I want to the assignable buttons, and they always stay there.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
Hello Fred,
First things first: PLEASE ACCEPT MY SINCERE THANKS AND ADMIRATION for the enormous effort it must be to act as moderator on such a huge site.  I was not aware of how large a membership this site has before  I just out of curiosity clicked the membership list.  Seemed endless to me.
I do not feel I have the competence to question what you wrote.  Sorry if my information was wrong.  I today had a discussion with an old friend in Germany, Robert Mueller who used to run a YAMAHA site and has helped me many times when I had problems. It seems he is now a midi file producer.

http://midi-huettn.de/page/impressum.php

It seems I have not correctly understood the  PARAMETER LOCK function and the list of what should be memorized when memorizing banks and what not to click in these pages and had left those lists  as they were on the instrument.  Will now redo things according to his advice and then report. He said a lot of people in Germany have a lot of problems and contact him, but after the upgrade to 1.2  more than 95 %  the of problems are - his words - sitting in front of the Genos.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
Hello Fred,
First things first: PLEASE ACCEPT MY SINCERE THANKS AND ADMIRATION for the enormous effort it must be to act as moderator on such a huge site.  I was not aware of how large a membership this site has before  I just out of curiosity clicked the membership list.  Seemed endless to me.
I do not feel I have the competence to question what you wrote.  Sorry if my information was wrong.  I today had a discussion with an old friend in Germany, Robert Mueller who used to run a YAMAHA site and has helped me many times when I had problems. It seems he is now a midi file producer.

http://midi-huettn.de/page/impressum.php

It seems I have not correctly understood the  PARAMETER LOCK function and the list of what should be memorized when memorizing banks and what not to click in these pages and had left those lists  as they were on the instrument.  Will now redo things according to his advice and then report. He said a lot of people in Germany have a lot of problems and contact him, but after the upgrade to 1.2  more than 95 %  the of problems are - his words - sitting in front of the Genos.

Kaarlo,

First, I am one of many moderators on this site. The creator and owner and the guy you really need to thank is Joe Waters.

Second, I expect your problem is that your registrations remember too many things. So when you try to maintain a global setting, your registrations come along and change it. For example, I never save any of the following groups in any of my registrations: Foot Pedals, Scale Tune, Live Control, LIne Out, Assignable Buttons, Vocal Harmony, Master EQ (on a Tyros). This means I can have global settings for any of these, and my registrations won't change them.

Third, while I find Parameter Lock useful (to stop third-party registrations from changing my settings), my view is that using it is just a bandaid, and masks that fact that the registrations are improperly designed. If all your registrations are properly designed for your setup, you would never have to use Parameter Lock.

Once you've decided what settings should be in your registrations, and more importantly, which ones shouldn't be, then use Murray Best's marvellous Registration Manager program to modify all your registrations to your liking in a batch.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, dh110953

Offline dh110953

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 02:09:13 AM »
Hi Fred, I think you may have answered my question but just to be sure, and as I have never used YRM (I am a Mac not Windows user, but I can borrow a Win10 laptop if needed)

Anyway, I have about 1500 registration banks set up in my Genos many of these using most if not all 10 registrations. Many if these registrations I have created and saved myself and work as I expect,  but there are about 800+ banks which I have downloaded including many that are purchased and some that are legacy T4 and T5 and this is where it all goes haywire.....

I have my Genos configured how I like it, e.g. split point(s), chord type (fingered), rotary assign (to Fade) and pedals set to P1 advance registration and P2 sustain, plus other settings I like. When I use one of my own registrations all tends to work as I expect but on many of the purchased/downloaded registration things go astray, for example the rotary/assign button is disabled so I can’t fade in/out, the pedals work differently meaning sustain now does a fill etc etc. And I am unable to use P1 to advance registrations etc.

To open each and every registration to correct the settings to how I want them would take for ever and would be very frustrating, and prone to error. Is it my understanding that by using YRM I can copy the registrations to a PC, make a global change to all of them and then upload them back to the Genos so it will then work as I want. Is this a relatively straight forward task for “person of later years” or do I need to bribe  a teenager or of my grandkids, or their children....

Note, I am quite Computer literate as my background was in the early years of computer systems a PC was a police man, a program is what you tuned your wireless to and a computer filled a room......When my daughter told me she had bought me a MacBook I thought I was getting a paperback of Scottish poetry.....

Like I said, being a Mac user I have not had access to or used YRM hence the question.

Or......is there a way I can simply do this on the Genos .... I have looked in settings, the manuals etc but nothing stands out as being the answer.

Thanks for considering my question.
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »
There's no quick way to do this on Genos.
It must be done one registration at a time, re-memorizing button per button and re-saving the registration.

YRM has the option "batch conversion" and will change settings to multiple registrations in a matter of seconds.
But some knowledge is required in both Genos and YRM techniques and procedures. I don't think bribing one of the grand kids will do the trick....

I may be able to help. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll get in touch with you.

Stijn

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:06:17 AM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos