Author Topic: Update on the competition -- Casio CTX-700 >>> And now, CTX-3000!  (Read 42125 times)

SeaGtGruff

Re: Update on the competition -- Casio CTX-700 >>> And now, CTX-3000!
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
There's certainly no telling if Yamaha will release any new PSR-I models ever, let alone this year or next. But the PSR-I425 was a customized (or localized) version of the PSR-E403, and the PSR-I455 was a customized version of the PSR-E433. So if there's a PSR-I485 in the works that's going to be a customized version of the PSR-E463, it will presumably have all of the new features that were added since the PSR-E433:
  • Aux In (added with the PSR-E443)
  • Scale Tuning (added with the PSR-E443)
  • DSP Effects (added with the PSR-E453)
  • 10 User Styles (added with the PSR-E453)
  • Built-In USB Audio Interface (added with the PSR-E453)
  • 48-Note Maximum Polyphony (added with the PSR-E453)
  • Sampling (added with the PSR-E463)
There might be other features that I missed; those are just the ones I could remember.

But that isn't what you asked, is it? Presumably the hypothetical PSR-I485 would have everything that the PSR-E463 has, but with Indian "tabla/tanpura" patterns instead of the "DJ patterns" or "grooves," and with some additional Indian voices and styles which are not found on the PSR-E463 (but some of which might find their way onto the hypothetical PSR-E473 a couple of years from now).

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Thanks Michael  8)

It is very well said as usual. If it ever comes on the Indian market, this hypothetical PSR i485 will indeed be a very nice instrument.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
Well a few minutes back I saw this ad, where they have dropped the price of I455. This is the first time they cut the rates down, anyways note that there is a mega discount on MX61. (MX-61 is seldom available in offline market here, and very few people actually purchase it). Such old keyboard like I455 is still on production & sale, even though I425 got discontinued around 2015.
Don't know about their plans, but E463 & finally EW410 are launching in India very soon.
I highly doubt they would launch anything like I485. 🙂

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:37:21 PM by AnupamEnosh »

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 02:30:37 AM »
He got an interesting idea for this video: he is using the Yamaha Grand Piano CFX piano sample of the Yamaha Clavinova CLP 675 as a reference point

Needless to say, the Clavinova kills the three smaller keyboards.
Thanks for linking to this video.

Unfortunately this comparison is invalid or is the oldest trick in the audio sales business.

Clavinova's sound in this demo is obviously compressed and louder. The trick in the audio biz is to make the more expensive equipment just very slightly louder.

Clavinova's actually have two compressors in their audio path:

1) standard mixing desk audio compressor
2) Intelligent Acoustic Technology (IAT) proprietary compressor that is somehow controlled by the pianist's technique of fingering and pedaling

I think all Clavinova's have IAT switchable to various levels, but only CVP models have explicit control of the Master Bus compressor. All cheaper models have the main bus compressor fixed and rolled into the "Room" control.

Anyway, this Clavinova's sample was obviously quite brutally compressed to the level called in the USA "FM radio mix". It would be extremely obvious on the percussive sounds of e.g. hi-hat or snare. It is also very obvious on something like nervous finger nail tapping on the table that sometimes gets picked up by microphones.

I re-watched his video and he only used the rhythm tracks with a drum kit on the cheaper keyboards, but on Clavinova he only played a pure piano sound.

I don't think that Jeremy was doing this on purpose. I just think he's a trained musician by trade and doesn't have an idea how to conduct a proper level-matched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test .

Relevant somewhat technical articles about the "master compressor" in Clavinova's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Edit: The above message may be somewhat too analytical. Let me try to rephrase it in a constructive way:

If you feel that the sound of grand piano from the Clavinova is somehow obviously "better" you do not have to spend money to get that sound. You can get a very close approximation of it by recording the sound from your economy keyboard into your DAW and then experimenting with various settings for the dynamic range compressors that are available in nearly every DAW in existence.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:14:58 AM by 2112 »

Offline pjd

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
PSR-E403 (+ 22 =) PSR-I425
PSR-E433 (+ 22 =) PSR-I455
PSR-E463 (+ 22 =) PSR-I485 ???

Thank goodness it's "+ 22" and not the  Fibonacci sequence.  :D

Thanks for all of your posts, Michael.

-- pj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
Thank goodness it's "+ 22" and not the  Fibonacci sequence.  :D

I don't know what the significance of the "plus 22" is. One of my oddball theories is that "22" might be some kind of "geographical zone number" at Yamaha that means "India," or something along those lines-- except the "I" in "PSR-I" already indicates that those models are intended for Indian musicians. Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all?

Thanks for all of your posts, Michael.

You're welcome-- but don't encourage me, or I might start posting all of my evenball theories! ;)

KeyboardMaestroYT

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »
Well... For one, i can't stand Jeremy See, the way he interacts with his subscribers/viewers is just strange in my opinion, i also dislike his way of showing the machine, he comes across as cocky just from looking at his body language..

Anyway, the CT-X sounds GREAT for the money, but no matter how much Casio will try, they will NEVER beat the PSR range of keyboards. The Sweet! Voices have been in to keyboards since 1997 and are still sounding great today, tell me... What technology has Casio implemented that still sounds good today? Maybe the DSP effects from the ZPI chip on the CTK-671/691/MZ2000 etc?

In terms of styles, i said this before under a video of KeyboardKrazy49. I love Casio! But the styles on the PSR E models sound pretty dynamic and full of life. While the same (Sorta the same) styles on the CT-X sound programmed and dull. Now i know that they are programmed! Duh, but the CT-X (even the 5000) sounds like an early 90s Yamaha keyboard when it comes to the accompaniment..

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Well... For one, i can't stand Jeremy See, the way he interacts with his subscribers/viewers is just strange in my opinion, i also dislike his way of showing the machine, he comes across as cocky just from looking at his body language..
C'mon, please cut him some slack. He's living in Singapore where the music scene is both highly competitive and artistically moribund. He's forced to buy subscriber/follower services to exist in the scene.

Please read this about the historical perspective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque .

He's making standard mistakes of made by most of musicians by not taking care of properly miking his speech and making sure that his voice can really be understood, not just heard.

KeyboardMaestroYT

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »
I'm not talking about the way he's talking, i can perfectly understand him even when there's music going on in the background, it's just that whenever i see people in the commentsection asking questions he either A, ignores the question and just asks for a thumbs up and subscribe. B, he just completely ignores it, or C, he answers the question but just with one word.

Last week some guy asked "Jeremy which keyboard is better, the CT-X3000 or the PSR-E463, and he literally responded with "CT-X3000" not telling the guy WHY it's better no, just "CT-X3000" i'm sorry but, no matter how good of a quality your videos are, if you have a strange way of communicating with people who watch your videos then for me that's done..

My videos are terrible in quality, recorded with my smartphone with the microphone from the phone (It's still pretty good though) no colour corrections, nothing fancy with a DSLR or with 4K resolution stuff. But on the other hand am I the sorta person who responds to ANYONE in a friendly way, if they want to know something about a certain keyboard i'll TELL them, if they ask me a question i try to answer it properly..

Re: Update on the competition -- Casio CTX-700
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »
Update : Here is a video from Popmusic.ru, they post legit good reviews.
Thank you very much for recommending that site. They keyboard demonstration guy really tries to show the available functionality. Despite being a competent musician he's not ashamed to make intentional mistakes to properly demonstrate the learning features.