Author Topic: What about Custom styles from the T5?  (Read 11958 times)

What about Custom styles from the T5?
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »
Hi friends,

When I import my T5 registrations that use Custom styles, to the Genos, do I just import the Custom styles as well and everything will work fine?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:13:11 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

Re: What about Custom styles from the T5?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »
Hi friends,

When I import my T5 registrations that use Custom styles, to the Genos, do I just import the Custom styles as well and everything will work fine?

Thanks.

Hi.
You don't have to import any style. Put them on your USB stick, and Genos will find them for you when you load a registration.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
Hi friends,

Yes. Just ensure the folder structure on the USB is the same as it was on the hard drive.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:09:43 AM »
Vali, are you saying I need to bring the Custom styles to every gig on a USB stick? That's completely nuts. I would assume there is a spot on the Genos HDD for them.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15:01 AM »
Vali, are you saying I need to bring the Custom styles to every gig on a USB stick? That's completely nuts. I would assume there is a spot on the Genos HDD for them.

If you put them on User (new hdd on Genos) old registration will not found styles... if you put styles on USB, from 1.20 firmware, Genos will search all usb for your content...
Or, reassign your styles from user area to your registrations ...

Look at the Murray's YRM 5.1 too...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »
Okay, thank you Vali :).

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
Lee
For me, the way it is working great and to avoid confusion between the user area and the USB, i have everything on the USB.      My registrations, external styles, external multipads, etc.

That way, i do not worry about where things are.    On the USB i have a folder for registrations, another folder for external styles, another folder for external multipads, another for midis,  and so on.

Not sure if that is the most efficient way but it works for me.

The USB file structure mimics the file structure i had on T5.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
Thanks Al.

On my T5, I keep all Custom styles in the User area. (They are often modified versions of Yamaha system styles where the drums were not to my liking or something similar.) My registrations point to that User style. Are you saying I can't do the same on the Genos? I always need to have the registration point to Custom styles stored on a USB stick? If that's the new architecture, it's a massive step backward!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
Lee
Sorry for any misunderstanding.   I was just describing how I had it in T5 and how i now have it on Genos.

I never had anything in user area in T5 or Genos.   In T5 i only used the user area as a temp working area to do some work and when finished transferred to my folders.   

In Genos i have everything in the USB exactly as i had it in T5. 

For me it is working great.    So, not sure how you would deal with stuff in the user area.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
Ah, okay. Thanks Al :). I'm sure we can do things like this the same way on the Genos. Mine will arrive soon so I can check things out.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »
Dont forget that the USB port at bottom of Genos can be used as a permanent user area, and with this port in use, it will always be named and appear as USB1 as long as no other USB ports is connected when Genos power up.
If put another stick at front upper port that will be USB2, BUT, if you put that second stick in before startup, it will be shown as USB1, and the one down under USB2.
That way, if any softwareupdate has to be done, just use the upper USB, plug it in before power up and dont worry about if the permanent USB is plugged in.
Also that USB port at bottom is hidden, and have a lock that can be closed.
I use the bottom USB as user area, just as I did by use of the built in HD at T4.  64GB Kingston DataTraveller SE 9 G2 USB3 works great. :)
MusicSoft Downloader is a neat tool to transfer files to/from PC as well as between stics on Genos and to do backups.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
If doing a back up of your Tyros 5 Hard Drive Make sure you save all user items in a folder on your hard drive or they will be lost as they do not become part of the back up.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
Dont forget that the USB port at bottom of Genos can be used as a permanent user area, and with this port in use, it will always be named and appear as USB1 as long as no other USB ports is connected when Genos power up.

:) The term as "User Area" is ... simply User area, which definitely in Genos you will find in internal storage (on those 58 GB)... If you say "User Area" to a USB stick, you will definitely create a confusion between the real User and the fictive User (USB)...
Yamaha made a fix in 1.20 firmware version regarding finding content on all USB ports. So, it does not matter anymore in which port you put USB stick, front, back, underneath...

Now, the internal User area of Genos will not erase if you make a firmware update, but you have to make sure not to factory reset User from Utility menu... I think User area is more secure than any USB stick, because has directly bond with motherboard, as USB  ??? ... . You don't know when a USB stick can become corrupt ...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
...The term as "User Area" is ... ... . You don't know when a USB stick can become corrupt ...

Agree that the term User Area can be misunderstood the way I wrote it, but all USB is in fact UserAreas.
(I copied all from T4 harddrive into USB stick, placed it in bottom USB, and it works like the HD at T4 did)  ;)
No, you're right, we never know when electronic items may crash, but so far during quite a lot of years, I have not got any faults at USB sticks, but there has been some HD crashes, faulty chips, damaged motherboards etc......
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Stijn

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
It would be a shame not to use the User on the Genos. There's no Hard Disk anymore like on Tyros, but with almost 60 Gb of space there's plenty of room to store those tiny files likes Styles, Voices, Registrations and so on.

The User, like on Tyros, uses HIDDEN folders! So, just simply copying your familiar Tyros HD structure to the Genos will not work. Your Registrations won’t find the files they refer to. Here’s an example; if you had a Style on your Tyros HD that was stored like this=    E:/my styles/samplestyle.s9170.sty  then for the Genos it will have to have the following path to make your Registration work = C:/Style/my styles/samplestyle.s9170.sty  where /Style is the hidden part in the structure.

The hidden folders are:  Expansion, MULTI PAD, REGIST, SONG, STYLE, SYSTEM, TEXT, VOICE (notice the space in MULTI PAD !

You have to modify your Registrations on the Genos one by one so they will find the needed files, but if you have many then it will take a long time to get it done. There is a solution to do this work in seconds by using a ‘batch’ procedure available in Yamaha Registration Manager by Murray Best.

The procedure will add the correct hidden folder to the existing path and will change the drive letter from E:/ ( = HD on Tyros) to C:/  ( = User). It only takes a second or two.
You will find the program and the manual here: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42923.0/topicseen.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:08:13 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
I made a major error in my post! Earlier I said, "On my T5, I keep all Custom styles in the User area." This is not correct. Don't know why I wrote that. Fact is, I have no idea where my Custom styles reside, other than where the T5 puts them. All I want to do is copy them to somewhere on the Genos because I need them. They are song specific styles that don't reside on any keyboard.

It seems the general consensus is, I should copy everything I want from the T5 that didn't come with it in the first place, to a USB stick, plug the USB stick into any port on the Genos, and the Genos will find it. Am I correct in saying there is no more HDD on the Genos and that is has been replaced with an SSD? If that's so, even a USB 3 stick would be archaic compared to an SSD. Is there no where on the Genos SSD to store Custom styles? There must be.

Sorry for all the confusion.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
It seems the general consensus is, I should copy everything I want from the T5 that didn't come with it in the first place, to a USB stick, plug the USB stick into any port on the Genos, and the Genos will find it. Am I correct in saying there is no more HDD on the Genos and that is has been replaced with an SSD? If that's so, even a USB 3 stick would be archaic compared to an SSD. Is there no where on the Genos SSD to store Custom styles? There must be.
Yes, you can copy your styles from T5 HD to a USB stic and load at Genos.
You can also copy/transfer the files from the USB to Genos custom user area.
I think you will find Genos suit your needs perfectly, store your files at USB or onboard Genos. :)
Btw, you can download and read about it in the manuals as well, then you will be fully educated when your Genos arrive. ;)
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
Cheers 🥂
GJ

gerarde

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
Lee,

I too, have many custom styles, which are song styles I purchased or created.
Some are in the USER area and some are on my USB stick.
For each custom style, when I create a registration for that song, I use MIXER to change the drums to the new REVO drums, and sometimes change the bass, and background instruments to newer sounds from the Genos.
Even just changing the drums, the sound is so much better.
I save these changes to the registration and not to the style, keeping the style intact.
I think many are just using custom styles as is and can easily sound better by tweaking them.
It seems to give all my song registrations new life with updated Genos sounds.

Gerard

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »
Okay, thanks guys for all the help. The one advantage I have is, I will be keeping my T5 for about a week or so to make sure everything gets moved over to the Genos. In that time period, I'll post back with any uncertainties.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
Fact is, I have no idea where my Custom styles reside, other than where the T5 puts them.

Lee, you are giving us Canadians a bad name with this post. And you are setting yourself up for no end of frustration.

Do not even think about upgrading to a Genos until you figure out where your customs styles are. Because you need to put your styles in your Genos in the same place they were in your Tyros.

To find out where the Tyros has your styles, load one, then look at the screen. There's a tab at the top which identifies the drive they are on. It will be USER, HDD1 or USB with a number after it.

Be sure you know where you're going to put your files before you start using your Genos.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 03:25:59 AM »
..... you will definitely create a confusion between the real User and the fictive User (USB)...
Just to make the confusion even worse.  ;)
This picture show my folders created in the user area, here opened in Style window.
Everything visible is in the tab User, two usb connected and even Expansion tab is in the User Area.
User/User is the Genos onboard area. Same structure will show in other categories as Voice etc.
(Attached this picture so Lee can see what I was refering to.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
That's a big help. Thanks Gunnar! I can copy my Custom styles to the Genos User folder and it should work the same as on the T5.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:31:48 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Stijn

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
That's a big help. Thanks Gunnar! I can copy my Custom styles to the Genos User folder and it should work the same as on the T5.
You can store the Custom Styles on the User and selecting and playing them will be just fine, but if you made Registrations on your T5 that call up the Custom Styles, then those registrations won't work on the Genos.
The registration just will NOT FIND the Custom Style, because of different path references. You will have to edit the registrations and renew the reference to the Custom Style.
See my earlier post.

Regards, Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »
That is the beauty of backing up your Tyros 5 Hard Drive and then copying the files to a lagrge USB stick which most of us secure under Genos. This will then find your links.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.

Eileen, does the USB port on the Genos support USB 3? That is, should I buy a USB 3 stick or is it worth the extra cost? Thanks.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
... does the USB port on the Genos support USB 3? ...

Genos is USB2, but is fully compatible to read USB3 without problems.
The sticks I use for Genos is all USB3, works flawless, and when use at PC they are a bit faster than USB2. ;)

Edit:
Forgot to mention, but of course Gnos write to USB3 sticks as well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:38:14 PM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »
Thanks Jonny!