Author Topic: Tyros 5 sound distortion  (Read 3981 times)

Offline nking

Tyros 5 sound distortion
« on: March 06, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
Hi,
I purchased my Tyros 5 in August 2017 and have become increasingly aware of a distortion from the right hand speaker; this is most noticeable when playing notes around middle F and certain instruments e.g. Vibraphone . I have the volume between 3 and 5 o’clock, quite loud. I have done a restore of all settings to the factory defaults.
 The sound is fine when listening through headphones so I decided to swap the left and right speakers, same distortion. Upon closer examination I have found that if I detach the right speaker and hold the case in my hand the distortion is virtually eliminated so it’s the speaker case vibrating (natural resonance around the frequency of middle F). Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution, I’m quite disappointed as I never had this fault with my Tyros 4  :( 

Offline Rick D.

Re: Tyros 5 sound distortion
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
Hi nking,
Have you reset your EQ and Compressor settings? Having the volume up between three and five o’clock seems excessive. You may have a setting in the EQ that is incorrect for those speakers.
My volume usually stays around 9 o’clock with the Genos settings one of the members suggested to make the Tyros 5 have more punch like the Genos does. Before that I think I was usimg Gary’s EQ settings and my volume stayed at 12 o’clock. First try the factory setting in the EQ for those speakers and see if the distortion goes away. If it is still present, I would go back to where you bought them and get a new set under warranty.
Hope this helps,

Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
nking, try reversing your speakers. If the distortion follows the speaker, the speaker is at fault. And yes, 3 to 5 o'clock is way too high a gain value. I seldom go above 11:00.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
Lee,

He said he already swapped the speakers.

Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Oops - thanks Rick  :-[ !
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.