Author Topic: Genos VH vs TC Helicon Perform VK  (Read 10806 times)

Tyros5Mad

Genos VH vs TC Helicon Perform VK
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
Hi All,

I refer you to my final recording of To Love Somebody. In that recording I settled on using the Perform VK as I do now with all my songs.

The internal Genos VH is not bad at all, but I am used to the Perform VK

Link: http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43992.0.html

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:18:49 AM by RichardL »

Offline guitpic1

Re: Genos VH vs TC Helicon Perform VK
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
Nice demo.  Hard to tell a difference for me....maybe 2nd one?

Before Genos, I gigged with the PA4X....TC Helicon.  I was concerned about Genos but to me my voice sounded just as good with the VH as with TC Helicon.

Actually, to my ears, the EQ and PA I used made the most impact on how my voice sounded..much more so than whether it was a TC Helicon or Yammie VH.

Just my $.02.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline manuel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »
Hello Richard

I own also a Genos and here my observations:
I know that you did not tweak the VH2 on the Genos and I think is not fair, since the built in unit is not a dedicated unit like the other.

Many differences, on the first take, you did not EQ , put reverb or even adjusted the Volume vs the second unit(Volume was higher and had a little reverb). I think is not to fair to either devise you have used, since also results vary depending also on the microphone specs. I use the AKG D5 that is Supercardiod, and has great sound, I compare it with several other name brands and some with 3 times more expensive, did not had the nice sound of the D5.

I am been objective, and hear very well those differences, by the way, Nice vocals.....but, please, try to match them a little better in Volume, EQ and Reverb, on the Genos in order to give a fair opinion.

My 2 cents.
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
LOL - thanks for the responses so far.

manuel - I was not trying to stack the sound in favour of any one of the units. I agree the first one had no reverb. I am recording the song again with tweaks.

guitpic1 - I also kind of lean towards the 2nd recording.

Any idea which was the Genos? The good news for me is that they were so similar.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:21:01 PM by RichardL »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
I think No.1 was Genos but both were very good.

Offline MarcusAhlback

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
I think number one was better. Sounded more realistic.
Kind regards Marcus
Yamaha PSR-S770
Casio PX5-s

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
Thanks again folks.

For the record No 1 was the Perform VK and No 2 was the Genos.

I have recorded a final version for the upcoming video using the Perform VK with some extra reverb and tweaked the volumes of the harmony as well. See the opening post.

Regards,
Richard

Offline soryt

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
The Genos recording has les "Flanging"effect , sounds best to me .

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

keynote

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 08:21:31 PM »
Nicely done Richard! I agree with you that the Genos VH2 is quite acceptable.

As long as we're doing vocal harmony demonstrations I too recently recorded a song using the Genos VH2 and I also used 'standard trio' for the harmony part. The song is called "On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson. A little background. Before I bought my Genos I listened to a couple demos online showcasing the Genos VH2. The demos were really bad and as a result I thought the Vocal Harmony on the Genos was not up to par. Once I got the Genos I found out first hand that the vocal harmony 2 is actually pretty decent. Of course it helps if you have a decent mic to record with and whether or not you can carry a tune which is basically a prerequisite for achieving adequate results in most cases.

All the sounds are from the Genos. i'm using a Shure SM58 mic. Enjoy!

On the Road Again 2

Mike

The following users thanked this post: GrantB

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:31 PM »
There is nothing to complain about there from vocal harmony! Was excellent, as was the whole recording.
Mike

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
Mike (Keynote):

Great rendition of this Classic song. Good voice my friend.

By the way, I have 2 microphones that I use for recording. One is a SHURE WH20XLR headset mic and the other, which I like a little better at the moment, is an Audio Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB / XLR Mic

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:23:30 PM by RichardL »

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 06:19:33 PM »
Hello Richard and Mike

All are very very good demos !!!

Mike, for "On the Road again", the background sounds come from Genos ? A midi file ?

Soundphase

DonM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 04:32:58 AM »
My opinion is that the T.C. Helicon Perform VK sounded better.  Genos sounded good too though.
Mike, One the Road Again sounds great.  Love the style!  Is that a Factory Genos style?

keynote

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:24:09 AM »
Hello Richard and Mike

All are very very good demos !!!

Mike, for "On the Road again", the background sounds come from Genos ? A midi file ?

Soundphase

Hi Soundphase. And you too Don. ;) Yes, it was a midi file with backing track(s). The midi file had chords embedded so it was just a matter of turning the vocal harmony on and off as needed. It was a quick way to showcase the Genos VH2 for demonstration purposes on this thread. I hope to do more songs using the VH2 as time permits. Previously I thought about getting a TC-Helicon unit but as of now the Genos VH2 seems sufficient.  8) I did get a new audio interface recently though. It's the Universal Audio Arrow and it's brand new on the market and was recently showcased at winter NAMM. It is the world's first thunderbolt 3 audio interface by the way. And I was astounded that it fits perfectly on top of my Genos on the right side in that 'vacant' space where some people have questioned why Yamaha left that area void. Well, now we know why.  ;D LOL

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:26:19 AM by keynote »

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »
Hi Mike,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an audio interface?
Why do you need it?
Thanks
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
Hello Richard

I own also a Genos and here my observations:
I know that you did not tweak the VH2 on the Genos and I think is not fair, since the built in unit is not a dedicated unit like the other.

Many differences, on the first take, you did not EQ , put reverb or even adjusted the Volume vs the second unit(Volume was higher and had a little reverb). I think is not to fair to either devise you have used, since also results vary depending also on the microphone specs. I use the AKG D5 that is Supercardiod, and has great sound, I compare it with several other name brands and some with 3 times more expensive, did not had the nice sound of the D5.

I am been objective, and hear very well those differences, by the way, Nice vocals.....but, please, try to match them a little better in Volume, EQ and Reverb, on the Genos in order to give a fair opinion.

My 2 cents.

I agree with manuel's comments completely.  I think had you tweaked the Genos a bit, it would have sounded as good as Perform VH.  The Genos had poor EQ and Reverb settings which added a LOT of color to your voice.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Hi there,

I totally agree with Manuel and Joe. With some tweaking the Genos VH could sound as good or maybe even better than the TC Helicon Perform VK. What I would like to know though is this. Is the Genos VH the same as what is in the Tyros 5? If so why does the Genos sound better than the T5? Is it the fact that the Genos has better (or more) DSP's or what?

Regards,
Richard

willem7397

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
Richard and Mike,
Really nice demo's showing that there is no reason to not use Genos VH.

I got my Genos just a couple of days ago and tried the std VH settings a bit. It's indeed an improvement over Tyros.
As Richard I purchased a Perform VK unit in the past to improve VH. Still really like the unit with it's 1000+ downloadable settings and it's ideal to use as an effect unit for a second singer.
It fits nicely on the empty space at the right side of the sustain button.

As mentioned above there are a lot of effects on Genos to play with. I'm still going trough a steep learning curve how to do this :)
I think that's part of the fun of getting a new keyboard.

Rgs,
Willem

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
Yeah Willem I remember you buying the VK and your daughter singing a song, which I liked very much. I am keeping the VK don't worry. I still prefer it over the built-in VH of Genos.

keynote

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
Hi Mike,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an audio interface?
Why do you need it?
Thanks
Eric

Hi Eric. It's the same thing as an internal sound card for a PC or Mac only it's an external device. In this case it's a professional quality device that can produce studio quality recordings. It has quality preamps (pristine quality). I hook up the main outputs from the Genos to the Arrow inputs and then run the outputs of the Arrow to my Mackie mixer. The Arrow is bus powered with the thunderbolt 3 cable which also carries the audio signal to and from my PC. I record the sounds (audio/midi) from my Genos to my DAW software on my PC i.e. Sonar Platinum. I used Sonar Platinum for recording "On The Road Again." The "interface" is thunderbolt 3 (as opposed to USB or Firewire). If I would have just said external sound card that likely would have cleared up any confusion. Sorry.  :)

By the way, if anyone is thinking about buying an Arrow know that your PC or Laptop and/or Mac computer must support thunderbolt 3. Some motherboards support thunderbolt 3 by way of an Add-in card (AIC). Street price is $499 for the Arrow.

Mike 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:21:43 AM by keynote »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
Nicely done Richard! I agree with you that the Genos VH2 is quite acceptable.

As long as we're doing vocal harmony demonstrations I too recently recorded a song using the Genos VH2 and I also used 'standard trio' for the harmony part. The song is called "On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson. A little background. Before I bought my Genos I listened to a couple demos online showcasing the Genos VH2. The demos were really bad and as a result I thought the Vocal Harmony on the Genos was not up to par. Once I got the Genos I found out first hand that the vocal harmony 2 is actually pretty decent. Of course it helps if you have a decent mic to record with and whether or not you can carry a tune which is basically a prerequisite for achieving adequate results in most cases.

All the sounds are from the Genos. i'm using a Shure SM58 mic. Enjoy!

On the Road Again 2

Mike

Thanks,  excellent recording and excellent use of the Vocal Harmonizer. I use it a lot, and the Genos is better than for example what you hear here

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Hi Eric. It's the same thing as an internal sound card for a PC or Mac only it's an external device. In this case it's a professional quality device that can produce studio quality recordings. It has quality preamps (pristine quality). I hook up the main outputs from the Genos to the Arrow inputs and then run the outputs of the Arrow to my Mackie mixer. The Arrow is bus powered with the thunderbolt 3 cable which also carries the audio signal to and from my PC. I record the sounds (audio/midi) from my Genos to my DAW software on my PC i.e. Sonar Platinum. I used Sonar Platinum for recording "On The Road Again." The "interface" is thunderbolt 3 (as opposed to USB or Firewire). If I would have just said external sound card that likely would have cleared up any confusion. Sorry.  :)

By the way, if anyone is thinking about buying an Arrow know that your PC or Laptop and/or Mac computer must support thunderbolt 3. Some motherboards support thunderbolt 3 by way of an Add-in card (AIC). Street price is $499 for the Arrow.

Mike

Thank you for the explanation.
That's what I thought it was, but wasn't quite sure.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970