Author Topic: EQ & Compression settings  (Read 5504 times)

Offline trebor1950

EQ & Compression settings
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:03:11 AM »
Not sure where this should be.

Question: Has anyone come up with some good alternative General EQ and Compression settings they wish to share?

Offline valimaties

Re: EQ & Compression settings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:35:03 AM »
Hi , trebor1950.

This was discussed already, and I say it again: everyone has its pa system or home studio speakers... eq and compression, definitely, will relation with most of environment situations. My best eq can be your worst one! For example I use flat eq in keyboard but make some graphical adjustments in my Behringer X32 Compact mixer for my RCF speakers and Dynacord subwofer :)

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 05:37:43 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: trebor1950

tyrosman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:35:12 AM »
the best way to eq is to set every thing flat then adjust your setting to the Room :) if using a mixing desk then set everything at 12 o clock position then you can go either way

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
Hi Val

I tried those soundpacks sites settings and they say they are a great start.
I found them on my Yamaha DXR 8 speakers muddy and loud.
What I did is try the Yamaha presets and the Loudness one came over very clear in my room.
I then adjusted the different frequencies to get a warm clear sound
I think the best way to explain the Eq for people is It is only adjusting like your hi fi with bass and treble, but there are a few extra sliders.
The best thing is to go through each slide up and down until you are happy with that frequency. It Is a bit of a fiddle ,but you get there

Everyones room is different,so someones meat is another mans poison. :-[

All The Best
John ;D

Hi John.

Setting an EQ to a room is not so simple, and digital EQ of Tyros/Genos/PSR or whatever, is not so simple, and I tell you why: The Q Factor parameter (which can do the difference) is not graphical represented... I definitely wish a screen with a professional Digital EQ setting up, because changing settings only by a knob or a slider you cannot see the frequencies cutted off by this Q Factor, a visual - graphical interface, will make the difference :) ...
Look at this two pictures ("the power of Mr Q" ;D ):

First setting will raise also the frequencies bellow and above the parent-frequency (the frequency over we apply the Q Factor), but the second  one will not do that, it will raise only with an minimum value above and bellow.

I also I want to see a LowCut virtual button and the frequency from where to cut and a high cut, also with the frequency from where I want to cut.
All this parameters could be created, but only time will say if Yamaha will make a full feature keyboard!

And coming back to our subject, the environment, how big is the room, the material from which the wall is made, brick, cement, plasterboard, if you have parquet, or laminate flooring, or carpet or floor tiles, if you have furniture, if you have soundproofing or anti-phonic walls... EVERY this detail alter the frequencies.
You made your sound better to your home studio, or your studding room, but I tell you, if you go with the same settings in other room of your house, does not sound good anymore, even if they are your settings...
Everyone has to make its own settings for EQ, for compression... Start from flat eq and change each parameter, till you achieve the better sound in that room. Those settings are not good for other PA system or other rooms, so everytime you have to modify some frequencies values... Environment, environment, environment!!!

Regards,
Vali 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:42:46 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
For my use, I set up EQ and Compression for each speaker system I use.   Although I’ve used sweepable EQ(Vali’s example), I find I don’t need it for Genos.  I use the least amount of compression and EQ that works.

One thing that might help.  Set the Genos system to say 100% volume level(sliders/master volume) and turn the PA volume off.  Then start the Genos and gradually turn up the PA to the max volume you want.

This will help control spikes in volume and give a decent volume level to set EQ/Compression.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.