Author Topic: Touch screen issue setting parameters  (Read 11288 times)

Offline valimaties

Touch screen issue setting parameters
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
Hi.

I want to ask you all if someone is disturbed by the following issue:
     When I'm in a screen, for example Mixer -> Pan/Volume ... If I touch on a slider, which is not selected in advance, the volume changes. The correct approach I think that has to be -> touch -> select control -> change value... but mine, in lot of cases is only change control, directly after I touch. :(

Think what happening when you click in DSP Compressor on output level knob and change to a big value  :o :o (I was just about to break my speakers  :( )...

And this is happening in about all screens...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jwyvern

Re: Touch screen issue setting parameters
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
Hi.

When I'm in a screen, for example Mixer -> Pan/Volume ... If I touch on a slider, which is not selected in advance, the volume changes. The correct approach I think that has to be -> touch -> select control -> change value... but mine, in lot of cases is only change control, directly after I touch. :(

Think what happening when you click in DSP Compressor on output level knob and change to a big value  :o :o (I was just about to break my speakers  :( )...

Regards,
Vali

Yes if you touch a screen slider it's possible to move the value straightaway but I don't find it goes out of control if you take care (probably not practical during a gig perhaps) .   If you want to gain control without immediately moving a value you can touch the parameter value instead of the slider and the parameter wheel and buttons become active.

The tendency for output to go straight to maximum when touched on some dsp's is a pretty frightening experience I discovered early on. Since I don't find the "rotary screen icon" idea at all practical to set values accurately I go straight to the Details page nowadays but it still an accident waiting to happen, even after version. 1.2.
John
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:02:13 AM by jwyvern »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »
Hi.

Regards,
Vali

Same thing happens on mine, although the amount of change is small, say from the default of 100 to 109 or less. BUT, if you select the slider by touching above the actual slider knob and on the slider value itself, no change is made!

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:59:54 AM »
Thanks John and Stuart...

Yes, I think this is an annoying thing, and I've send a mail to them telling about this issue... This is certainly solvable by making controls/objects selectable before changing value happens and definitely a touch release before modifying value, with control / object selected...

Yes, indeed, the details screen get rid of this inconvenient thing, but in this case I don't see the point to "graphical interface" (red, green, etc boards with knobs).

In my opinion, I think the value should be modified after a drag operation on screen, not only a touch point on screen.

If the control will work as I tell now, it will be unbeatable:

* object = knob, slider
(I wrote this schema in my computer, the forum does not allow me to enter code in the posting area :) )

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:56 AM »

Hi Vali --

Yeah, this is kind of annoying. When I'm editing, I expect the value to jump, so I'm always ready to spin the wheel of fortune to set the value to what I want. It's annoying when I just want to make a very small tweak (e.g., plus or minus less than 5 units).

Thanks for mentioning this behavior -- pj
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:46:41 PM by pjd »

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
Ok, I have a temper, but On a gig ( my bread and butter ) when I touch the volume slider on my Tyros 4... I can get some of the most disconcerting ( unmusical ) changes in volume.
I mention this because I believe it is related to Genos issue.
It has absolutely infuriated me, that a $5000 keyboard has this weakness / bug...
when NO keyboard prior to my Love Hate with Tyros 4 has exhibited this jumpy behavior.
This is Yamaha irresponsibility . And I see their obtuseness continues.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:29 PM »
Ok, I have a temper, but On a gig ( my bread and butter ) when I touch the volume slider on my Tyros 4... I can get some of the most disconcerting ( unmusical ) changes in volume.
It has absolutely infuriated me, that a $5000 keyboard has this weakness / bug...
when NO keyboard prior to my Love Hate with Tyros 4 has exhibited this jumpy behavior.

Ok, I feel a little bit of anger, and I don't know if this is good for us...
It is a new OS, we have to find the glitches and to inform Yamaha. First of all, send a mail with this issue directly to Yamaha Support, and after that we can find a solution. For some pages, I don't think it is a real solution (workaround), because of missing alternatives, like in Pan/Volume page (ok, someone can say that we can use sliders, but they have the same issue, about the position of the physical slider against graphical one)...

We have to wait to see what Yamaha say about this issue. I've sent them mail, and I have to wait.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern, StuartR

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »

This has happened on every Tyros model that has sliders (T3, T4 & T5) and is a well known problem! I'm surprise that it has taken so long for you to come across it! 

Yamaha have never shown any inclination to do any thing about it in the past 9 years or so, and I can't believe that they will ever do anything about it on Tyros.  Unless some major, 'show stopper' bug comes to light, Tyros models are dead in the water as far as software updates are concerned!  One exception might be if YEM is updated in future in a way which also requires a firmware update on the keyboards to work, then they may provide an update for Tyros5 for that.

In live situations, when you are actually playing, I would recommend leaving sliders well alone. You can use the button pairs under the sliders to adjust values without sudden jumps, but even using these, don't press both upper and lower in a pair together or the level will reset to 100 for that part!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:20:53 PM by tyrosaurus »

Tankdave

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
Hi.

Regards,
Vali

Yes, I have now come across this and it is annoying and not as you would expect, the first touch should be the "base" level for the control change.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:55:22 PM by Tankdave »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »
This has happened on every Tyros model that has sliders (T3, T4 & T5) and is a well known problem! I'm surprise that it has taken so long for you to come across it! 
Regards

Ian

Hi Yan.
I just saw your answer right now... In Tyros models it was not disturbing, as we don't have touch screen, and the behavior I talk about is about touching controls, not moving physical sliders ;) Please read again, as I explain exactly the behavior... try yourself on touch screen controls ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:34:19 PM »
Hi.

Today I received a response from Yamaha Europe, and this is a part of discussion :

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
It is just sloppy programming in my opinion. I'm sure Yamaha Japan will find a fix.  For the price it should be better than this.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html