Author Topic: Please Yamaha, iimplement SSS in the next Firmware version  (Read 7027 times)

Please Yamaha, iimplement SSS in the next Firmware version
« on: February 24, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
SSS Smooth Sound Switching

Since Tyros 3, I'm really tired to hear sound hiccups when I change registration. The Montage does it correctly. It is always headache to search for a combination of sounds, volumes, DSP between 2 registrations that minimizes this bug.

There is a ton of DSP now. I'm ready to sacrifice DSP for songs if it helps to implement this feature.

Soundphase.

Bachus

Re: Please Yamaha, iimplement SSS in the next Firmware version
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Actually the montage offers half of his 16 channels to do sss..  if you use more then 8 “sounds” on the montage there is no SSS..

So yes, yamaha did sss on the montage, but the way they did this makes it highly unlikely for the Genos.  If they want to add sss to Genos, they need to develop it from scratch. Sure tht can be done, altough i dont see that happen..

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:03:19 AM »
mmmmhhh .... 8 channels only, effectively, it's very few. I didn't know.
Thank you for the information.

R1,R2,R3,L,Mp1,Mp2,Mp3,Mp4,8 channels for the style => 16 minimum for Genos .... So, I imagine, we need to double the Montage processor capacity for a Genos with SSS ....

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:53:24 AM »
mmmmhhh .... 8 channels only, effectively, it's very few. I didn't know.
Thank you for the information.

R1,R2,R3,L,Mp1,Mp2,Mp3,Mp4,8 channels for the style => 16 minimum for Genos .... So, I imagine, we need to double the Montage processor capacity for a Genos with SSS ....

Do you need that many?
Surely when you change registration it's only the panel voices (aggravated by some of their effects) that cause the worst noises because they change immediately to the new voice and effects which may be incompatible, especially if the keys have not been fully released. To sss those it "might" be done with 2x 4 channels?
Styles seem to change in their own Time, not immediately but finishing with the previous style and voices before picking up the new ones,  in a more controlled hiccup free way. At least if they do cause hiccups I have never been awake enough to hear them. ;)
Are there some style types that cause this problem?
John
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:06:30 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:45:16 AM »
It’s only DSPs that cause the problem. So if you’re willing to give up DSPs, you’ll have seamless sound switching.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
Do you need that many?
Surely when you change registration it's only the panel voices (aggravated by some of their effects) that cause the worst noises because they change immediately to the new voice and effects which may be incompatible, especially if the keys have not been fully released. To sss those it "might" be done with 2x 4 channels?
Styles seem to change in their own Time, not immediately but finishing with the previous style and voices before picking up the new ones,  in a more controlled hiccup free way. At least if they do cause hiccups I have never been awake enough to hear them. ;)
Are there some style types that cause this problem?
John
Yes you're right John.  I never experienced hiccups for Styles nor Multipad. Only R1,R2,R3,L voices problem to resolve.

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »
Yes you're right John.  I never experienced hiccups for Styles nor Multipad. Only R1,R2,R3,L voices problem to resolve.

That still requires a total overwrite of the software, since its fully based on 32 channels each with their own specific need, they would have to add 4 extra channels to their software, with their own DSP chains.

You are probably right, that this would be enough, but from my technical background, i would say this would mean a lot of work for Yamaha. You never know, but i highly doubt they will put that much effort in a patch.

But maybe i am wrong, i have been wrong before.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:26:19 PM by Spirit of the old South »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
Styles seem to change in their own Time, not immediately but finishing with the previous style and voices before picking up the new ones,  in a more controlled hiccup free way.
There is a reason for this. With styles you never have notes held across style variations (Main A-D, Fills etc). When you change a style while the previous one is still running, the change occurs at the end of the current style variation. At that time all current notes have been turned off. So no problem here. Recall that the hiccup with keyboard voices occurs only if you switch the voice (DSP) while you hold the note (sound) of the previous voice.
Regards, Michael

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 10:10:48 PM »
There is a reason for this. With styles you never have notes held across style variations (Main A-D, Fills etc). When you change a style while the previous one is still running, the change occurs at the end of the current style variation. At that time all current notes have been turned off. So no problem here. Recall that the hiccup with keyboard voices occurs only if you switch the voice (DSP) while you hold the note (sound) of the previous voice.

It's something normal that a player wants to change registrations while he keeps the current keyboard notes pressed or, simply wants to correctly listen to the end of the release parts from the previous registration voices.
If it was not a normal way to use a keyboard, this major improvement wouldn't have been implemented on Montage.

It's now time the TOP OF THE LINE electronic keyboard of the famoust multinational music instruments provider, implements this "normal feature"

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
@Soundphase: your answer seems not related to my posting. I just explained to you WHY you never experience hiccups in styles. Of course, seamless sound switching for keyboard parts is desirable, this wish has been expressed for many, many years.
Regards, Michael

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 05:02:12 AM »
@Soundphase: your answer seems not related to my posting. I just explained to you WHY you never experience hiccups in styles. Of course, seamless sound switching for keyboard parts is desirable, this wish has been expressed for many, many years.
There was no problem at all, you were right and your explaination was useful. I juste found thèse hiccups awful although the Genos sound is really very good.

keynote

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
I owned a Roland Fantom G7 that had seamless sound switching. The Fantom G series was released in 2008. Here we are in 2018... ten years later... and it is absent on the Genos but alas present on the Montage. It should be a doable endeavor if Yamaha is up to the task. My gut feeling is they'll wait and make it available on Genos 2. All the more reason to do the upgrade dance once again. ;) Or should that be..  :'(  For what it's worth, we bought the Genos knowing full well it did not have seamless sound switching. We bought the keyboard for what it is not for what we want it to be.

Seamless sound switching might be harder to implement on an arranger I'm not sure. It is a nice feature though and a highly sought after one I might add. Yamaha knows it is an important feature and that's probably why they added it to the Montage in order to compete with the Korg Kronos for one. Keep those ideas coming folks! Yamaha personnel browse this forum and so the more ideas we offer the better it is since it gives Yamaha much needed food for thought. What's important to musicians should garner the attention of Yamaha but of course they pick and choose according to their own business strategy. Which is probably why we'll see it implemented on Genos 2 rather than the current Genos through an OS update. Although we can still dream can't we?  8)

Mike   

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:28 AM »
I owned a Roland Fantom G7 that had seamless sound switching. The Fantom G series was released in 2008. Here we are in 2018... ten years later... and it is absent on the Genos but alas present on the Montage. It should be a doable endeavor if Yamaha is up to the task. My gut feeling is they'll wait and make it available on Genos 2. All the more reason to do the upgrade dance once again. ;) Or should that be..  :'(  For what it's worth, we bought the Genos knowing full well it did not have seamless sound switching. We bought the keyboard for what it is not for what we want it to be.

Seamless sound switching might be harder to implement on an arranger I'm not sure. It is a nice feature though and a highly sought after one I might add. Yamaha knows it is an important feature and that's probably why they added it to the Montage in order to compete with the Korg Kronos for one. Keep those ideas coming folks! Yamaha personnel browse this forum and so the more ideas we offer the better it is since it gives Yamaha much needed food for thought. What's important to musicians should garner the attention of Yamaha but of course they pick and choose according to their own business strategy. Which is probably why we'll see it implemented on Genos 2 rather than the current Genos through an OS update. Although we can still dream can't we?  8)

Mike   
I already hoped it would have been implemented in Genos, since the main microprocessor changed. And I imagine the OS was re-written. .... But .... not ....