Author Topic: Registration Memory Versus Music Finder  (Read 5819 times)

CmajSid

Registration Memory Versus Music Finder
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Over the last few months I have been watching on Youtube Keyboard America.com Videos a fella Mike Mixon and have learnt some very good information about features on the Tyros 5. He makes quite a big thing about storing your OTS changes and completed styles in the Music Finder and NOT the registrations, saying that you have a lot more variety of voices if you store in the music finder leaving you another eight voices available with the registrations. I would very much like to hear some views on this matter as I am a little confused as when watching the Yamaha experts they seem to be using the Registration Memory all the time?

Many thanks

Sid.

carl.waring

Re: Registration Memory Versus Music Finder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
Hi there!

I am by no means an expert but I don't understand what say they are saying. As far as I know there are no more options when saving to the Music Finder than there are when saving to Registration Memory. In fact, there are a lot less as you can only store four one-touch settings in any single MF song but up to 8 per RM.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »
What Mike dose is save a set of his favorite voice mixes to a registration bank. The advantage being that you can save a lot more functions to a registration bank like what you want your effects pedals to do and how you want Transpose to work. Now if you take a song from Music Finder as you know you can only use what is in the OTS settings. If you put the freeze button on you can now also use the voices from your registration giving you a choice of twelve voice changes instead of four. 

Offline browzer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54:28 AM »
Sid,

I don't see any advantage of using the Music Finder for this purpose since the OTS are saved to the style itself and these OTS settings will be recalled every time the style is loaded, this holds true whether the style selection is called from a registration or Music Finder entry. Even if you have a registration bank containing 8 voice settings pressing one of the OTS buttons would still recall the voices and settings stored there.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:15:07 AM by browzer »
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:35 AM »
It depends on how spontaneous you want to be in your playing.

If you're like me, you spend a lot of time arranging a song, but once it's arranged, that's the way I want to play it. So I use registrations for all my songs, and don't use the OTS at all.

If you're a jazz player where you never hear the same song twice, then you want to have lots of choices available quickly. Then Mike's recommendation makes sense.

And, finally, the value of the Music Finder over registrations (on a Tyros or PSR) is you have a search function, and a rudimentary playlist (through favorites).

Deciding what kind of musician you are will tell you what features to use.

Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:46:52 AM »
Ronnie
There is a difference, whether you call it an advantage depends on your inclination, and to some extent what Fred says above about what kind of player you are, although I would modify what Fred says to say ear and feel players rather than just jazz players. These kind of players are less inclined to stick to a pre- set arrangement, and often use the registrations for a fixed selection of favorite voices. The advantage is that these are always the same, and available in addition to the OTS and you always know what to expect without a cheat sheet when you select one. Using the registrations for selecting styles, changes, intros etc, means having a cheat sheet marked up for every song and pretty well sticking with that. This may not be necessary for players who seldom need music, or like to respond quickly to requests. Some players might also use both systems, reserving the registration method for a few more complex arrangements they play regularly, but 'free wheel' most of their music using the other method.
Mike

Offline browzer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Yeah Mike, I agree with all that you say and that the Music Finder is ideal for using as you describe, I use it a lot myself, but in my post I tried to address this part of original post:

He makes quite a big thing about storing your OTS changes and completed styles in the Music Finder and NOT the registrations,

I was trying to point out that the OTS is part of the style and not something that is only available if you you use the Music Finder.

Ronnie
Genos

CmajSid

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Many thanks to all who responded to my question it has helped me to understand better the differences between the two and I will experiment with both and see what suits me the best. It certainly shows a novice such as myself the versatility of the keyboard and thank you all once again.

Sid.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 01:01:00 AM »
I use a totally different approach. I use the MFD almost exclusively, and most of the time I use the OTS voice for the style. Now, I often use one or more of my custom voices that I created during an instrumental interlude of a song. Those voices are stored in the User Voice section, which at the touch of a button, displays 10 custom voices - not just 8 that are in the registrations, which if you do not have them memorized, you must press more than a single button to see them.

The music finder directory is a very powerful and easy to use tool that I, as a retired performer, can highly recommend. If you are a home player, none of this makes any difference at all. You could spend as much time as you wish to construct a song and it really doesn't make any difference - there is no audience sitting in front of you or standing on a dance floor.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

whataguy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:39 AM »
Another variation I find very useful is what I have been doing and that is: The folks who created the MF are a lot smarter than I so I use their talents this way. If a particular song has a style I like and use, I change the name of the song to my liking, some of their titles I don't know or have any idea of what they should sound like. Now the MF is customized to my songs. Then I play MF Roulette, I spin the MF and whatever sound I land on, I play. Easy to do when you think about it, there're all my songs using their styles. Don in MI