Author Topic: News about firmware 1.20  (Read 10256 times)

Offline voodoo

News about firmware 1.20
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »
Hi,

the news message for the new firmware is here:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2018/genos-firmware-update-v12.html

Just a few months after launch, Yamaha’s Genos is already firmly established as the new standard for workstation keyboards. Musicians from studio to stage have joined the already strong numbers of home players in their support of this exciting new generation of instrument.

Yamaha continually strives to enhance the usability and grow the functionality of Genos. To this end, and after valuable feedback from users and forum communities, we are delighted to release a new operating system, OS v1.2, on February 22nd 2018.

Version 1.2 sees more than 50 refinements and new features, details of which can be found on the on the Yamaha website shown below.

Alongside Genos OS v1.2, we are also releasing a new version of Yamaha Expansion Manager: v2.5.1. This provides convenient Expansion Pack configuration and Voice edit functions for Genos and other Yamaha workstation keyboards. 

The new OS and YEM 2.5.1 can be downloaded from the Yamaha website
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Offline voodoo

Re: News about firmware 1.20
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
And now it's out.

[V1.10 to V1.20]

-You can now search through the following contents: Voice, Style, Song, Multi Pad, and Playlist

-You can now play multiple Audio Link Multi Pads simultaneously. You can also switch to the behavior in which only one Pad can be played back at once, as in version 1.10 or previous. This setting is made from the display called up via MULTI PAD CONTROL [SELECT] -> [Menu].

-You can now select and play an Audio Style file on the USB flash drive directly.

-You can now edit Audio Styles with the Style Creator function.

-You can now select the Drum Kit of the "Expansion" folder on the Drum Setup window of the Style Creator.

-You can now record the sound of Audio Style and Audio Link Multi Pad playback with the Audio Multi Recording function.

-You can now select whether playback of a Multi Pad stops in the following cases, on the Style Setting display:

・When Style playback is stopped.

・When the Ending section of Style is played back.

-You can now select whether playback of Style and Multi Pad stops when MIDI Song playback stops, on the Song Setting display.

-You can now select the displayed font on the Lyrics display, when showing lyrics of Audio Songs.

-You can now select the Ensemble Voice category, even when you call up the Voice Selection display via the Voice Part Setup display or the Mixer display.

-You can now switch between "Menu 1" and "Menu 2" by pressing the [MENU] button on the Menu display.

-You can now switch between the "Dual Player" and "Song List" modes by pressing [SONG] on the Song Playback display.

-The current playback position (bar/beat) of Style or MIDI Song are now shown on the Home display.

-The current playback position (bar) of the Style is now shown on the Style Creator display.

-A new LIVE CONTROL assignable parameter is available: "Keyboard Volume."

-The default settings of LIVE CONTROL slider assign type 1 are changed: the "Keyboard Volume" is assigned to slider 9.

-A new "Regist Bank Edit" display has been added.

-The following four functions are newly assignable to the ASSIGNABLE buttons:

・Regist Bank Information

・Regist Bank Edit

・Style Information

・Multi Pad Edit

-Changes: When the following data types which include a file link to an external drive is loaded, this instrument will search related files from all the connected USB flash drives, regardless of which drive path is specified.

・Registration Memory

・One Touch Setting

・Audio Link Multi Pad

-Changes: When a Music Finder Record file is imported as a Playlist, the Playlist Records will be output, sorted in alphabetical order.

-Changes: When the Voice of one of the keyboard parts is set, Modulation Hold will be set to off, and then Modulation (+) and Modulation (-) parameters will be reset.

-Changes: You can call up the Regist Bank Edit display with the DIRECT ACCESS function.

-Changes: In certain types of the File Selection display, some shortcuts of related functions that can be called up via the "Menu" icon have been added.

-Changes: When showing the lyrics of an Audio Song, the lyrics of one row before the current playback position will remain.

・Before update: All lyrics before the playback position would disappear.

・After update: Lyrics of one row before the playback position will not disappear if they are on the same page.

-Changes: The behavior of the instrument when the Song Recording display is closed has been changed.

-Changes: On the Search display, the elapsed time from the last time the search index has been updated is shown.

-The maximum single file size has been increased to a maximum of 4 GB.

-The maximum number of "new" Audio Recording files has been extended to 2,500.

-The design of the following displays has been changed:

・Regist Bank Information display

・Style Information display

-Fixed a problem in which the Multi Pad information would not be stored to the OTS of a User Style.

-Fixed a problem in which the REGISTRATION MEMORY buttons and REGIST BANK [-]/
  • buttons would not work properly when a particular display was shown.

-Fixed a problem in which some parameters were not stored/restored with the System Backup function and Registration Memory function.

-Fixed a problem in which the Registration Memory Bank name would not be shown properly on the Home display, when a Bank file of the Tyros series was loaded.

-Fixed a problem in which the instrument would occasionally not respond to operations, when certain Registration Memory Bank files of the Tyros series was loaded.

-Fixed a problem in which some Playlist Records would occasionally not be loaded when a Playlist file was loaded.

-Fixed a problem in which some Preset Voice folders would occasionally not be shown on the Voice Selection display.

-Fixed a problem in which noise would occasionally occur when changing the "Organ Rotary Slow/Fast" parameter in some Effect Types.

-Fixed a problem in which certain parameters of a MIDI Song could not be recorded properly when re-recording with the MIDI Multi Recording display.

-Fixed a problem in which the instrument response would slow down when certain Preset Wallpaper was selected.

-Fixed a problem in which the detailed settings of some functions assignable to the Foot Pedals on the Assignable display would not be shown properly in some cases.

-Fixed a problem in which the setting of switching between the AUX Out and the Sub 3-4 on the Line Out display would not be restored properly.

-Fixed a problem in which Auto Power off would be executed when the Panel Lock function was enabled.

-Fixed a problem in which the Factory Reset function on the Utility display would occasionally not work properly.

-Fixed a problem in which some parameters were not stored properly to the "MIDI" Setup File when saving the data on the Utility display.

-Fixed a problem in which some parameters were not stored properly to the MIDI Setting file when saving the data on the MIDI display.

-Fixed a problem in which some assignable Functions on the MIDI External Controller display would not work properly.

-Fixed a problem in which wireless LAN connection would not be established in Infrastructure mode, when the password included some special characters.

-Fixed a problem in which the lighting of the buttons would occasionally not work properly.

-Fixed a problem in which some displays would occasionally not be shown properly.

-Fixed other problems.

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: terryB, Joe H, pchan

Offline AlBags

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
Great. Well see today what we are getting.

A.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Some nice new features:

* extended search
* playback of more than one audio link multipad
* drums setup now available for expansion drums

But there seem to be many issues that are not addressed:

* editing DSP parameters when more than one insert DSP is assigned
* more flexible assignment of live controls, including putting DSP parameters or song position pointers to hardware controls

What are you missing from this list?

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
"You can now select and play an Audio Style file on the USB flash drive directly".
Does this mean, when you edit an audio style, you can store it outside and share with other's, who has the source style installed on the Genos?

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
"You can now select and play an Audio Style file on the USB flash drive directly".
Does this mean, when you edit an audio style, you can store it outside and share with other's, who has the source style installed on the Genos?

Quote 'fix list':

-Changes: When the following data types which include a file link to an external drive is loaded, this instrument will search related files from all the connected USB flash drives, regardless of which drive path is specified.

·Registration Memory

·One Touch Setting

·Audio Link Multi Pad
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
Quote 'fix list':

·Registration Memory

·One Touch Setting

·Audio Link Multi Pad

That is, they did not fix the random order of drive letters, but they patched the load procedure to look on all drives instead?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Thanks Uli for the info in your post. Should keep heads down for a bit, going thro the changes. ;)
Cheers
Terry

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
That is, they did not fix the random order of drive letters, but they patched the load procedure to look on all drives instead?

Uli

If that fix the problem, I think is good. But, I don't think that fix the problem! ;)
For example, if I use the underneath USB, day by day, and for some mistake I start my keyboard with front USB also connected. That stick will be USB1, and the underneath will be USB2. I have on USB 1 (front USB) an older version of a style, and a registration which stores new version of style, which have to load from USB2 (now). In this version of firmware, when I press registration which stores style from USB2 (underneath, which was USB1 till I start keyboard with front USB connected) will search and will find an old version of style on USB1 (front USB), and that's not good...
Tonight I will make a test :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
If that fix the problem, I think is good. But, I don't think that fix the problem! ;)
For example, if I use the underneath USB, day by day, and for some mistake I start my keyboard with front USB also connected. That stick will be USB1, and the underneath will be USB2. I have on USB 1 (front USB) an older version of a style, and a registration which stores new version of style, which have to load from USB2 (now). In this version of firmware, when I press registration which stores style from USB2 (underneath, which was USB1 till I start keyboard with front USB connected) will search and will find an old version of style on USB1 (front USB), and that's not good...
Tonight I will make a test :)

Regards,
Vali

Surely they thought of this and used the internal file descriptor rather than the file name in their search for the correct file? If not, then chaos could reign!

Offline StuartR

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 09:56:17 PM »
Some nice new features:

* extended search
* playback of more than one audio link multipad
* drums setup now available for expansion drums

But there seem to be many issues that are not addressed:

* editing DSP parameters when more than one insert DSP is assigned
* more flexible assignment of live controls, including putting DSP parameters or song position pointers to hardware controls

What are you missing from this list?

Uli

Cheer up, the great news is that they listened to us and are providing not only bug fixes but real changes and improvements, similar to what they are doing with Montage! We'll just keep calling and emailing them issues and suggestions and hopefully continue to get results.

The following users thanked this post: mcbrown, pjd

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »
.... What are you missing from this list?

I would like to add a new feature to the list that would be very useful for me ( and maybe some others? ) :
A option that let me choose whitch of the chord names shown in the display, real chord played at the keys or the chord comes out when transpose button is used. 
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline metcam

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:39:29 PM »
And now it's out.

[V1.10 to V1.20]

-You can now select whether playback of Style and Multi Pad stops when MIDI Song playback stops, on the Song Setting display.

Hi
I am away from my home so I do not have chance to install and check new wersion at this time.

Can somebody explain this? :

""You can now select whether playback of Style and Multi Pad stops when MIDI Song playback stops, on the Song Setting display"":.

Did I understood right?  Is That mean we have now options even if we stop song the style and multipad wil continue playing without stoping?

If yes than that is great.
Yamaha did this time realy good job with update.

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:47:52 AM by metcam »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Marcus

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:55:33 PM »
This firmware update was the big one. Very nice, I am presently cloning my backup Genos and getting ready to switch from my Tyros 5 to the Genos for gigging in the next couple of weeks. So excited, what a fantastic arranger. As good as the Tyros 5 was, the Genos is a huge upgrade, especially where it counts, styles, sound quality and double the polyphony. I can now compose complex arrangements for live performances with no note drop-off, as I had to be more careful on my Tyros 5.

I have been too busy to check out the Genos VH2, but I shortened my custom brackets to work with the right speaker mount holes on the Genos that allows my Roland VP-7 vocal processor to just sit nicely above the open area on the Genos above the USB port. The Roland unit is black, I painted the mounting brackets black and the Genos is black. I did use the Tyros 5 VH2 sometimes in conjunction with the external  Roland unit and most likely will still use it with the Genos. The Roland VP-7 has a couple of human voice/choir presets that I would miss too much.

I can now work with the Audio Styles in Style Creator and must check out that references to using more than one audio multipad at a time. The Genos is really shaping out to be the ultimate performance arranger of my dreams...despite all the silly rants and criticisms at times in this forum. If the Genos is not a good fit for you, go for your alternative and let us use this forum to help fellow Genos users. Makes it hard to bother reading or posting tutorials and stuff with so much criticism.

Regards, Marcus

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
... If the Genos is not a good fit for you, go for your alternative and let us use this forum to help fellow Genos users. Makes it hard to bother reading or posting tutorials and stuff with so much criticism.

Regards, Marcus

Hi Marcus.
No offence, but please read only the tutorial stuff in this forum, and let us which find bugs to post them and discuss of them and share them because, this forum,  even if it calls "tutorial", I think it means for a lt of users also a helping forum, not only "how can I do that"...
We need things, new features not yet implemented, and if we came with ideas that could make this arranger better and better, that means we represent something good for this comunity. If you don't need help, don't bother read this kind of posts! If you think Genos is full of features and it is better to let it as it is now, go read other posts that make your interests and don't post here anymore!

Sory, I'm not agree with your kind of thinking.

Yes, Genos is a good keyboard, arranger, Yamaha give us a lot of improvements in last update, and we have to give them a Big Big THANKS, but if it is place for better features, let us discuss that thing here, to share thoughts each other ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
Uli,

Thanks for the report.  I think this verifies that the Genos has a complete re-write of the OS allowing new features to be added.  It will be interesting to see if the MIDI sequencer capacity is increased from 400k to maybe 800k or even bigger.  I suspect with the use of faders and knobs it will generate a lot of MIDI events that will consume much of the 400k memory limit not to mention people who will use the side-chain feature will find themselves running out of memory too.

I agree with you that there needs to be more options and flexibility with Fader and knob assignments including minimum and maximum value settings and sysex strings that will get recorded to the on-board sequencer and even transmitted over MIDI.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:32:12 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Marcus

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
Hi Marcus.
No offence, but please read only the tutorial stuff in this forum, and let us which find bugs to post them and discuss of them and share them because, this forum,  even if it calls "tutorial", I think it means for a lt of users also a helping forum, not only "how can I do that"...
We need things, new features not yet implemented, and if we came with ideas that could make this arranger better and better, that means we represent something good for this comunity. If you don't need help, don't bother read this kind of posts! If you think Genos is full of features and it is better to let it as it is now, go read other posts that make your interests and don't post here anymore!

Sory, I'm not agree with your kind of thinking.

Yes, Genos is a good keyboard, arranger, Yamaha give us a lot of improvements in last update, and we have to give them a Big Big THANKS, but if it is place for better features, let us discuss that thing here, to share thoughts each other ;)

Regards,
Vali
Hi Vali
Sorry if you misunderstood my point. There is a difference between one being concerned, pointing out issues and bugs, and outlining improvements and listing recommendations or forwarding suggestions to Yamaha. In all years I have been in these forums, I never witnessed so much criticism and negativity towards a Yamaha product. It is disheartening trying to sift through all the pointless rubbish and negativity all the time. Good luck finding and searching the tutorials among all the negativity.

I didn't suggest or say I didn't need help or appreciate ideas or suggestions for improvements, as PSRtutorial is the best resource on the net for Yamaha resources. I don't need to go through thousands of Genos post entries of constant negativity. If the Genos bothers someone so much that it deserves so much criticize, buy and enjoy your alternative keyboard. 

It was the thoughtful suggestions to Yamaha that got us the latest firmware update, not the few that rant or want to sue Yamaha for a defective product.

Marcus

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
Yes Marcus I have to agree with you. It did become a pain just signing into the forum and hearing Genos being slated off.
I have been saying this for years that Yamaha do not take part in forums and if you want to report something you feel is not right then you have to contact them directly. This report is then sent to the team of designers who will check it out to make sure it is a genuine fault and not user error.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
Yes Marcus I have to agree with you. It did become a pain just signing into the forum and hearing Genos being slated off.
I have been saying this for years that Yamaha do not take part in forums and if you want to report something you feel is not right then you have to contact them directly. This report is then sent to the team of designers who will check it out to make sure it is a genuine fault and not user error.
AMEN. Please call or email Yamaha and let them know directly about your suggestions and bug reports. That's the best chance you've got.👍

Offline valimaties

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
Definitely, is users fault of open multiple threads about the same things...
Yesterday I was the first opening a thread about "New Firmware 1.20"... After a couple of while, when the Genos webpage was updated, this thread and others appear on forum... I ask if there was necessary this and other posts!

We have to understand and to be more orderly, regardless to posting on forum. If the subject essentially is the same, we can post a lot of things in the same thread, not opening another!

I propose to admins to create a new board on Genos section, calling "Genos Bugs & Solutions". With this board opened, all other boards will be only with tutorials regarding "how can I do?!"!

I think it is better for everyone!

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline metcam

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »

I propose to admins to create a new board on Genos section, calling "Genos Bugs & Solutions". With this board opened, all other boards will be only with tutorials regarding "how can I do?!"!

I think it is better for everyone!

Best regards,
Vali

I agree.
In that case will be easier for YAMAHA to read posts because YAMAHA read posts on This best forum.

Regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »

......I propose to admins to create a new board on Genos section, calling "Genos Bugs & Solutions".

Agree. :)
Not only Bugs & Solutions, but also room for good ideas for new features or further ideas regarding features already there.
Why? Because people at Yamaha do read forums just as other brands developers does, but they do not take any active part to write or discuss.

Edit.
Btw,
Vali, the emailadress you provided for Yamaha support works great. Got reply same day, and second reply today.
:)  8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:20:36 PM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »
Glad to help.

Regarding new board on this Genos forum, I've wrote to Joe. I hope he read and will create for us ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: StuartR