Author Topic: How can I make this score easier to play?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline cando614

How can I make this score easier to play?
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Hi folks,
I've been trying to learn the attached hymn, and I'm struggling with it.  I'm used to playing from fake books, and easy Hal Leonard-type stuff.  I'm guessing this one was scored for an organ with bass pedals (which I have no experience playing!)  Even when using the "AI Fingered" mode on my Tyros, the chord / bass changes come so frequently and close together that I'm finding it difficult to play smoothly on-tempo.  Perhaps I can omit some chords, or substitute some of the slash chords with conventional ones so they can be played using inversions, thus reducing the amount of hand movement.

Very grateful for any guidance (either general or specific) from our music teachers / more experienced players, as to how I can make this song easier to play, while keeping the feel of the original score intact!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MarcusAhlback

Re: How can I make this score easier to play?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »
Hi.
Yes that looks like a score for organ.
Try some of these tricks to simplify it.
1. Only change chords on beat 1 and 3 in each measure.
2. Start by only playing one note in each hand. Melody and root. Then listen which notes you need to add to get the desired feeling. The written score might give you a clue.

Good luck Marcus
Yamaha PSR-S770
Casio PX5-s

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

Not sure if its something like this your after...
Cheers

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:45:53 PM by Kytrinh »
Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30

Offline frozzers

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
You could try this one from which I've stripped out some of the chord changes.

I've also attached the original sheet music (from the Classical Fake Book) so you can add any chords you might want to put back in later.

I've never played it before but it sounded OK when I did!

Chris

The following users thanked this post: DaveD, Bertie59

Offline Bertie59

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »
Thanks Chris - I've downloaded your pdf's to try - hope that's ok - this is a hymn which I like too but I couldn't play the organ version either.
Thanks.
Sue  :)

Offline frozzers

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
No problem Sue - that's what they're there for!  :)

Chris

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
If this helps - I believe the chords in parenthesis (brackets) are substitution chords and can be ignored. Please correct me if I'm wrong :). It won't be the first time or the last.

I also agree that most of those chords on the 2 and 4 beats can be ignored. Play those on the 1 and 3 beats instead. It's been my experience that when there are four chords in a bar, they are mimicking four part vocal harmony, and hence, can be trimmed down. Again, those with more training can correct me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:37:25 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
It looks like a simple piano score. The chords are likely for guitar and the chords in parenthesis are for guitar players who are not comfortable in flat keys so they are for capo position on the third fret which allows then to play in a more key while raising the key to the same as the score. I think it’s written with a chord per beat because that kind of chord changing is common in church music. But that kind of chord changing would not work well on an arranger so you would have to simplify it. Whether it then sounds ok or not would be a personal thing.
Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Mike :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.