Author Topic: Folder hierarchy  (Read 5952 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Folder hierarchy
« on: February 22, 2018, 04:04:19 AM »
Re Folder management

How do you rename a Folder?

I got a bit confused with creating Folders
And nesting one Folder into another ( and maybe into another Folder- I believe a total of THREE Folders nested within each other is the Tyros maximum - Is this assumption correct? ) is confusing.
Because I am slow with things Tyros, a little extra detail in your explanation would not only help me, but I am sure others as well ;D
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline jtrue

Re: Folder hierarchy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 04:24:24 AM »
It don't mean a thing...

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:08:13 AM »
I rename registrations all the time. But when I try to rename a Folder I run into a problem.
The tutorials are great , but I did not see a specific area where renaming folders came up. Nor how many Folders can be nested within each other.
I tend, to just cherry pick my study of tyros navigation. If anyone wants to answer my 2 easy questions, that would be cool!
Thanks in advance.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
If I recall correctly, up to the tyros 4, you could have up to 150 files or folders in the root directory, and the same number of folders and files within folders. I could be wrong, on this, though. I think Fred probably has a better handle on this than I do.

Yes, you can rename the folders, but this could mess up any registrations associated with those folders because it would change the route to that folder or files within the folder(s). I try to avoid doing these things.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »
Gary.... Alright... the Maestro Himself. How you doing ?

I am sure registration - folder hierarchies have been discussed before. And you are welcome to redirect the questioning!

But

Let me lay out my potential categories as I see them now.

An alphabetical A- Z for Registrations

But also, a Set List section or folder or whatever - presumably independent of the Alphabetical Registrations

Music Finder (folder!! or maybe no folder for this) for those requests that come out of the blue.

Folder for Midi Songs... I am not sure whether the Midi Songs should be connected in Registrations or not?

A Popurri section of undetermined style- not sure what song the style matches with

A Popurri for Voice combinations   eg   two clarinets and a Tuba!- I do not know where these cool sounds fit with the styles, or registrations or Songs.. so a popurri folder for Voices

The big unanswered question is various combinations of Styles - Voice combinations
Midi Songs- Registrations- Music Finder!!!!

This might just be "my problem".. but I thought I would put this out there.
Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »
Bert,

Sorry I didn’t truly before this, but I don’t see any difference between renaming a file a renaming a folder.

You say you "rename registrations all the time". If so, you know the procedure is:
1. Locate the file.
2. Press the Name (1 down) button.
3. Select the file you want renamed.
4. Press OK (7 down button)
5. Enter or edit the name.
6. Press the OK button (8 up).

Renaming a folder is the exact same procedure, except where it says "file", substitute "folder".

You can have up to 500 files in a folder on modern Yamaha keyboards (250 on older ones). There is no limit to the number of folders you can nest within other folders, except that each folder uses up one filename space. No filename can be longer than 50 characters including its extensions.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
You and Fred and a few others ( Tyrosaurus and Eileen and who am I overlooking! :)  )
have been helpful through my on and off again wrestling match with Yamaha.

Gary kind of scared me when he said something I do not comprehend about two things
he referred to the "Root level" and if I changed a folder name it might mess up some files.
Any further clarification is always helpful for one such as I, who is comfortable playing music in 12 keys but can't figure out computers worth a darn!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
The "root level" is where files are when they aren't in any folders.

Regarding renaming folders, Gary was reminding you that if you rename a folder, registrations that refer to files in this folder will no longer work, because the keyboard can't find them any more. This is a problem you've had before, so we're just trying to help you avoid future problems.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
If you consider the "Root Directory" as the Ground Level (Earth).
In the ground to can put Plants (Styles etc) or put Trees (Folders)
The trees can grow by adding more Folders (Branches)  etc. etc.

RE:  Messing up files by renaming things.  Registrations etc refer to named items or file paths. There if you change the name of something the registrations will have the wrong address.  i.e. It gets lost.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
Very nice ( helpful ) analogy between Tyros directory and Roots of trees.  :)
Thank you

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:08:17 AM »
Fred

In your video on troubleshooting registrations.. I saw something on your tyros I was not aware of.  At beginning of video,  you were pressing the Tab button   scrolling through what appears like Sequence numbers for registrations.

Steps to have the 8 registrations within a bank, play, in your pre determined order?

Thank you for all you do.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
Fred

In your video on troubleshooting registrations.. I saw something on your tyros I was not aware of.  At beginning of video,  you were pressing the Tab button   scrolling through what appears like Sequence numbers for registrations.

Steps to have the 8 registrations within a bank, play, in your pre determined order?

Thank you for all you do.

Glad to be of help. As I said in the video, I think the sequencer is the most underused feature in Yamaha keyboards.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ