Author Topic: The Genos / The Tyros 5  (Read 4081 times)

Mike2

The Genos / The Tyros 5
« on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
I owned the Tyros 5 for about 3 years. It was my first experience with a Yamaha keyboard. I always bought every new Technics model, from the mid 90's. and my last one was the KN-7000. The Tyros 5 was such an improvement in ever aspect that the keyboard had. My Genos is like that to me now. It takes me a month to get my ears, adjusted to sounds, that a new keyboard brings. The main difference with the Genos, for me are the styles, voices, the editing and the simplicity of quick recording. All the styles, voices, rhythms, chord, pad, bass and phrases, are set to a default, and at first, I was not that impressed. One thing I do, and once again sound is subjective, but I set the chorus for all my voices, right 1,2,3 to 40 using the Real Large Hall reverb, also editing and changing the drums for the rhythms takes the keyboard to a new level, also increasing the pad and phrases as you listen to the style.  My favorite, is the Revo VintageMutedKit. Some of the Revo drums, I don't care for, and for this reason, I don't care for the style. But by changing this to the VintageMutedKit, it completely changes the sound of the style. Also a big help is to increase the Sty Reso assign knob to 20 to 30 at times. And lastly, in the mixer, the Master compressor settings, I set it to Rich, and save it as User1. I don't care for flat. These adjustments completely change the dynamics of the Genos for me. I feel like I'm right in the middle of a band. I hear sounds, that I never did hear.
I hope this may help someone with a Genos. I love to maximize the best sound I can get from a keyboard. I don't gig anymore, but will I'm sure, and playing in a 12 x 14 room of mne at home, these setting are great. I use the Lucas Nano 300, and have owned them all, but very satisfied with this small portable speaker system.
Mike..

Offline EileenL

Re: The Genos / The Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »
So nice to hear you are enjoying your Genos and setting it up as you want it. Some things are done a little differently but once you are used to it it is a real dodle.

Gandalf43

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:54:59 AM »
Thank you for your positive report Mike and I agree with Eileen ,
but it would have been even more convnicing if you had recorded a short bit of a style /voice in the standard version and a second recording in the version which you’ve improved before. :) :)

It would be so easy to do recording eg with a Tyros via a midi file and do the same
with the Genos
or Genos standard via Genos with these special settings  ::) ::)

Too difficult ?? or any other reasons  ;) ;)

I am sure there are enough prospective buyers here around  ;) ;)

Cheers
Udo
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:14:55 AM by Udo »

Lloyd E

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:31 AM »
I agree that doing what you have said, makes the Genos sound much better. it "opens" up the sound and produces a larger stage and separates the sounds. Lloyd

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 01:56:43 AM »
...... I always bought every new Technics model, from the mid 90's. and my last one was the KN-7000.......

Same here, and I still use some 50 TECHNICS-styles that I converted to YAMAHA  STY files. But here again we see how varied the tastes of keyboarders are.  I use reverb very sparingly as the places I play at often have too much natural reverb  (no I am not playing in churches)  and I feel to-days music too overloaded with effects, so very little Chorus also.  But to each his own. That you can tweak modern keyboards is one of their greatest features. In younger years I played a Selmer -sax, and already learning to growl by singing the melody into the mouthpiece while playing was very difficult, not to mention Earl Bostic's  technique of playing the same note but changing the fingering very rapidly so that he sounded like a stallion in heat  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxBLiKpRm0    which I never mastered.

Kaarlo