Author Topic: Android vs. Apple product support for Genos  (Read 3132 times)

keynote

Android vs. Apple product support for Genos
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
With as much attention as Apple receives from Yamaha, it’s easy to forget that Android is the most popular mobile OS around the world and in the United States. Android enjoys a commanding lead over Apple's iOS with approximately 85% market share worldwide. But as we know the Genos only works with iOS devices not android devices. This is truly unfortunate and it makes you wonder why Yamaha would cut off one's nose to spite one's face? In other words, why overlook people who own android devices when in reality they make up the majority of smartphone and tablet users worldwide? The majority of people who buy the Genos are also more likely to own an android device not an iPhone or an iPad. Why prioritize one and neglect the other?

Yamaha will do what's in its best interest but in this particular case I think they missed the boat. Yamaha's decisions are negotiated from a business standpoint but not all things are considered expedient. In this instance Yamaha has alienated more than three-quarters of its consumer base. If you own an iPhone or an iPad congratulations. But to the many more people who own android devices why are they "hung out to dry" in the grand scheme of things?  Why is Yamaha catering to Apple owners exclusively? Yes, Apple products are slightly more secure than your typical android product but that gap is narrowing. Yes, people who own Apple products tend to buy more apps than android users do but there are more android users so that should make up the difference in the long run.

I guess I'll end it on that note. My words are not intended as a critique but rather as an encouragement that hopefully leads to action. It would be wonderful if Yamaha added android functionality to the Genos. What prevents them from doing so currently? In a word, nothing as far as I can tell. I'm trying to encourage Yamaha to think about that possibility especially when billions -  billions - of people own Android devices whereas Apple devices only number in the hundreds of millions worldwide. Even so, Android users are the ones left out of the equation in this particular scenario. What more can I say? I don't expect a fix to be provided in the next OS update but perhaps the one after that?? Android users would rejoice and it would be a win/win situation for Yamaha in my opinion. 

Mike
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:01:46 PM by keynote »

Offline EileenL

Re: Android vs. Apple product support for Genos
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
I asked this question some time ago now and was told it is because Apple is more secure.