Author Topic: Any New Genos Tutorials  (Read 8782 times)

Offline Oldden

Any New Genos Tutorials
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »
Hi,

Genos tutorials in English seem to few and far between, anybody know of any links to good ones. I think that however much you think you know there is an awful lot more to find out.

oldden

Offline StuartR

Re: Any New Genos Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:24:58 PM »
Hi,

Genos tutorials in English seem to few and far between, anybody know of any links to good ones. I think that however much you think you know there is an awful lot more to find out.

oldden

I haven't seen ANY Genos tutorials, from Yamaha that is. Plenty of professional musicians shown playing the Genos though. Any help you get with Genos will have to come from the good and talented folks here on the user forum.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »

Search Genos Tipsters on YouTube.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline Oldden

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
Thanks,

I looked at Genos Tipsters on YouTube plus a couple from Bonners. I am quite happy sitting with a cup of coffee and watching a tutorial video, pity there are so few, you can learn a bit from demos but to me it's not the same.

Oldden

Offline StuartR

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:36:31 AM »
Thanks,

I looked at Genos Tipsters on YouTube plus a couple from Bonners. I am quite happy sitting with a cup of coffee and watching a tutorial video, pity there are so few, you can learn a bit from demos but to me it's not the same.

Oldden

Agree. Yamaha treats their arrangers as if they were just an upright piano. Just sit down and play. What about those other buttons, knobs and sliders? Here's a reference manual, it's all explained perfectly in there. Sorry but after owning a Yamaha synth and getting great Yamaha support, I'm pretty disappointed in their absence in the arranger space.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Nickt5

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:20:35 AM »
when you think of it - to produce a high end instrument like that, Yamaha would have produced something on DVD or on-line but hey- they will let someone else make a few bucks doing a third party production which is always the case.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
when you think of it - to produce a high end instrument like that, Yamaha would have produced something on DVD or on-line but hey- they will let someone else make a few bucks doing a third party production which is always the case.

This is not a bad approach for companies.  Owners helping others generates business.  For most of the new technology I’ve purchased over the past 20+ years, I got my answers on owners forums.  The one exception to this is the Korg PA4X video manual posted by Korg...excellent but the video just touched the surface of the 4X capabilities.

Let me ask this question.  Let’s say you spoke English, and had a tech question.  Would you rather have someone fluent in English answer your question or someone who knew the answer but wasn’t familiar with English?  A person who spent half their time trying to translate in a way you’d understand?
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 03:37:22 AM »

Well, don't know if anyone else did that for Montage but regardless Yamaha provided a user forum complete with online Yamaha support. You can't get around the fact that Yamaha is treating their arranger owners completely different.

Offline Bob D

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »
I believe Daniel Watt is doing the 5 dvd tutorial for Genoa as he did for the Tyros 5.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »
I believe Daniel Watt is doing the 5 dvd tutorial for Genoa as he did for the Tyros 5.

Thanks for that heads up. I've emailed Daniel to find out. I'll post his response here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:48:10 PM by StuartR »

Offline Oldden

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
Hi,
For people not familiar with Daniel, there is a link below to a video he made explaining how ensemble voices work on a Tyros 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtORVYXJFEA

oldden

Offline StuartR

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 03:03:40 AM »
Hi,
For people not familiar with Daniel, there is a link below to a video he made explaining how ensemble voices work on a Tyros 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtORVYXJFEA

oldden

Very nicely presented by Daniel. This is exactly the kind of thing that Yamaha could be providing us. I guess you can get some of this, but at a price ($185 US). Ouch. Yamaha provides similar workshops for their synth line, free of charge.

keynote

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
Very nicely presented by Daniel. This is exactly the kind of thing that Yamaha could be providing us. I guess you can get some of this, but at a price ($185 US). Ouch. Yamaha provides similar workshops for their synth line, free of charge.

Owners of the Yamaha Montage are in many cases professional keyboardists and many of them are also younger in age than your typical arranger keyboardist. Yamaha markets the synth (formerly workstation) line to professionals whereas they market their arrangers to mostly home hobbyists although with the arrival of the Genos Yamaha is now trying to market it to the younger generation including singers and songwriters, primarily as a sketching tool. You won't see high-end arrangers on stage with touring bands but you will see the Montage and the Korg Kronos and other high-end workstations on TV and at concerts in a live setting. Yamaha sponsors well known musicians who play the Montage so they almost have an obligation to provide extra support for this "professional" product they are trying to market to professional musicians.

On the other hand people who tend to buy the Genos are generally older folks with deep pockets and since that's the case Yamaha probably feels they can also afford to pay an extra $185 for a series of DVD's explaining the Genos in a more detailed manner. But I think it is also in Yamaha's best interest to provide free tutorials and other technical support information online because they are now marketing the Genos to a younger generation including singers and songwriters who may in some cases be well known professional musicians also. Once you start seeing the Genos being used by popular bands in a professional setting then perhaps Yamaha will change their tune and start providing the necessary tools they now provide to owners of their synth line - for free. Recognition is the key most likely. Once the Genos is recognized by the musical elite i.e., by well known musicians in a professional setting then Yamaha may start to pay more attention to what is already a real money maker for them in general. The Genos is flying off the shelves and Yamaha is naturally making a handsome profit on each unit sold. They could theoretically use some of that extra cash for an official website and then pay someone to oversee it like Phil Clendeninn does now over at www.yamahasynth.com. I guess it doesn't hurt to dream, right? ;)

Mike     

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Oldden

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
Hi, I agree,

If you wanted to learn the guitar there are good free online courses available, Justin Sandercoe, Marty Swartz for example plus many others. The courses are good and you can learn a lot and if you want to go further, they all sell books, DVD's and a lot of other stuff. It would be nice if Yamaha did something similar, a couple of good free courses plus a collection of back up extras to buy if you wished.

Oldden

The following users thanked this post: EileenL, StuartR

Offline maartenb

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
I am quite happy sitting with a cup of coffee and watching a tutorial video

Oldden,

What subjects would you like to see? (This is a sincere question.)

Maarten

Offline StuartR

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 12:39:15 AM »
Oldden,

What subjects would you like to see? (This is a sincere question.)

Maarten

I know you didn't ask me personally but I'd like to see workshops on the advanced use of live controls, style modification, voice editing and DSP's.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
Hi Maartin,

I agree with Stuart, the courses he  mentions would be very useful. If I go back a bit to guitar courses which I mentioned earlier. a number of them start off with a basic grounding then you can diverge into jazz, blues, finger style and so on. I think this sort of thing would work for keyboards, get everybody singing of the same songsheet first as it were, then perhaps go onto more complex things after.

oldden