Author Topic: My First week of having Genos and a brief comparison with my Tyros5 and KorgPa4x  (Read 35408 times)

Offline bluali

Finally I got my Genos and I did a very brief comparison with my Tyros5 Keyboard. I was surprised that the main Sounds are  all the same on both keyboards. However I like the Genos design and light weight. Overall if you have Tyros5, don't rush! I could not find a big difference sound-wise. To me, Genos is like re-packaging of Tyros5 with different look and feel. I recorded my comparison with an iphone camera and shared it on YouTube ( https://youtu.be/4U8S28tz3Mg ). I apologize for my poor English speaking. I hope the video helps.

Added in 4/12/2018:
Genos is the best Yamaha arranger so far and Tyros5 is also very close to Genos. Obviously those who have had keyboards such as Korg, PSR series or even TY3/4, they can be very impressed by Genos (and Tyros5).  As a mater of fact in main sounds such as Piano and Guitar and Violin, etc, there is not a huge differences between Genos and Tyros5. What I meant in my post to show that if you have Tyros5 do not rush for buying Genos! you still have a great keyboard! However, the arranger applications is not all about the sounds, I see Genos is more advanced and better than TY5 in other aspects such as weight , design, ease of use in live performances, better effects,etc .
I am so glad that Yamaha usually listens to people and noticed that the "Search" feature that I had mentioned in my YouTube Video was added recently to Genos and it is so helpful.(Thank you Yamaha! :)) )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:39:14 PM by bluali »
Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000

The following users thanked this post: ikmusic, panos

Offline travlin-easy

Your English is as good as the locals here. Where to do you live in Maryland?

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Offline panos

Nice keyboards there Bluali,

I like the Youtube auto translator's English.
Genos is either Gena's or Genus.
And Tyrus is Titus,Tires or even a Tiger! :D
Nice function though,it helps a lot.

Offline bluali

Your English is as good as the locals here. Where to do you live in Maryland?

Gary  8)
Thanks Gary, I live in North Bethesda .

Lloyd E

Only about 99% disagree with you.  Lloyd (owner of a Genos)

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline EileenL

Not a good set up to demonstrating voices. My Genos pianos are much better that they were on Tyros 5 and I think a lot would agree.

May I suggest creating a midi file of a piano passage that demonstrates all the qualities of playing, higher octave lower octave, sustain, rapid play notes, big chordal passages.

Then set up all keyboards to record to a DAW, setting gain structure and levels to 0db

Then you can record the same passage, then first with headphones, determine your findings,

Then have this playback through your performance speaker, and without moving, listen to them all in the same location, then I think you will actually have a more unbiased and realistic opinion.

Frank A. Ventresca
https://audioproct.com

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, fjafan

Gandalf43

Hi Bluali,

I agree with you 100% but I can understand commercial and lobbyist attitudes :) :)
Over here the Genos doesn't sell at all well which is not so good for the manufacturer and dealers.

It is good for all those who bought a Genos and love it. I am interested to hear some music which
shows the one step ahead of the Tyros.

Cheers
Udo

PS. That reminds me of a great song:
Tyros was my first love ......and it might be my last  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:27:11 AM by Udo »

Offline guitpic1

I’ve had the Tyros 4 as well as the keyboards you see in my signature.  I’m trying out the Genos... have a good 15 hours plus on it.

The sounds of the styles/voices on the Genos are every bit as good as anything I’ve owned.  Truth is, to me, I think they are better than anything I’ve owned.

Love the screen, layout and controls of Genos.  There’s not much to dislike on the Genos.

That said, you can listen/read about the Genos, but until you spend some time with it, it’s hard to understand why many owners like it so much.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

ash1

i had a chance to try out the Genos a few weeks back at my local dealer and have since decided not to buy it
i really thought the sound was going to be better well far superior to the tyros 5
but like the video above points out the sounds are pretty much the same for the most part
all be it rehashed styles called new styles 
im gutted i really wanted to buy the Genos
i will hold on to my tyros 5 and see what comes down the line maybe a Genos 2
i will probably not buy another arranger now though i cant see a Genos 2 being released for a couple of years
i expect the Genos price to come down a fair bit quite quickly over the next few months
i have heard from a good source that sales are not as good as they thought they would be at this point

all the best ash1

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

I've sold over 60 in 3 months, much better seller so far than the Tyros 5. The main reason sales are not as good for a lot of stores, it that there is an allocation system, so stores are having a hard time getting Genos in. I am constantly waiting for shipments to send out to customers, when the Tyros 5 was released, there was no problem in getting them in, never a backorder of more than a week or so
Frank A. Ventresca
https://audioproct.com

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, StuartR

keynote

If you like the Tyros 5 then by all means keep it. Different strokes for different folks as they say. The main thing is to enjoy what you play. The musician does make a considerable difference in the grand scheme of things. A skilled musician can make just about any keyboard sound good. Another critical piece of the puzzle is the actual sound system you run the keyboard through. Buying a high-end keyboard is an expensive undertaking although if you run it through a cheap sound system don't blame the keyboard if it doesn't sound all that great. Cables are another piece of the puzzle too. Buy some excellent cables that are highly rated and you might be surprised the difference they can make. With pristine sound and authenticity being the real goal the Genos improves upon the process with 32 bit digital to analog converters which helps the Genos produce a cleaner more pristine sound. The REVO! drum kits are vastly superior to the Tyros 5 drum kits I might add also. Here is a recent video by Peter Baartmans that is an excellent illustration on just how good the Genos can sound in a live setting using a decent setup and a brilliant delivery by the man himself.

Peter Baartmans playing the Genos

Mike

Offline stephenm52

I like what Audioworks wrote, I believe he is right on.  I also have to go along with Guitpic1, the Genos is probably the best sound arranger I’ve owned.   I can never be completely sold watching a You tube video which is the same reason I did not buy a Genos until I played it hands on. 

I believe LLoyd E is on to something 99% of the folks who bought them think they are great.  I write this not because I have to justify the dollars spent.  I’ve got 2 other arrangers, 3 more if you count my CVP 307 in the mix.  If I didn’t think the Genos was worth it, it would have been sold already.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:36:46 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

vanray

THANKYOU ! bluali

This really  confirms my suspicions
There really is no difference between the Tryos 5 and the Genos
regarding sound quality.
I listened with my EYES-SHUT .

90% of Music is usually listened to ON-LINE , via sources like Youtube , & Social Media.
I dont believe the Hype, but i do believe my Ears .

vanray

i had a chance to try out the Genos a few weeks back at my local dealer and have since decided not to buy it
i really thought the sound was going to be better well far superior to the tyros 5
but like the video above points out the sounds are pretty much the same for the most part

Totally Agree !

Offline EileenL

You have to play it for yourself and here it live to appreciate the quality of sound. Even my old Tyros 5 registrations sound miles better in Genos.

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline rattley

I've had my Genos since mid-November. I still have my Tyros 5. I haven't been very aggressive trying to sell it. Was hoping to find a local buyer. It is currently listed on eBay. I play my Genos several times a week. I've had a few interested people over to hear Tyros 5.  I hid the Genos (really!!) and hooked up Tyros 5 in its place playing thru the same stereo system I have had for years. The first time I did this I immediately noticed how lackluster the Tyros 5 sounded compared to Genos.  I certainly never felt that way before when I only had the Tyros 5.  After these demonstrations and these nice folks left I hooked up the Genos and played.  I loved my Tyros 5 the entire 3 years I owned it. Now my ears have been delighted by the way Genos sounds.  For me, sound quality and voice realism are why I upgrade.  Not so much the other new features.  I can only dream as to what will follow Genos !!  -charley

Offline StuartR

You have to play it for yourself and here it live to appreciate the quality of sound. Even my old Tyros 5 registrations sound miles better in Genos.

Agree. I had both the Tyros 5 and Genos side by side and sold the Tyros 5 a week later. All in all, the Genos was a much improved design.

Offline metcam

Agree. I had both the Tyros 5 and Genos side by side and sold the Tyros 5 a week later. All in all, the Genos was a much improved design.

Same here. Sold Tyros5.

GENOS is much much better in all ways.

Very happy with GENOS.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Gandalf43

Hi friends,

now that we have heard a lot of pros and cons,  lets compete with some
great music done with the wonderful options we have.

A great Sunday to all of you, Genos and Tyros lovers  :) :)

Udo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:01:30 PM by Udo »

tyrosman

Genos is far better all Round

Offline Bud2

All I can say is when I sat and played my T5 Registrations on the Genos I was really impressed, then I played with the new OTS on the Genos and was so impressed I emailed my dealer and told him I didn't need to play his shop one when it arrived to decide if I wanted one or not because I had played one at the Yamaha Weekend and was blown away by it so I wanted the first one he had in stock.
Bill

Offline Grayfox

I think it’s worth pointing out that some people don’t have very good hearing and are not therefore going to benefit from the greatly improved sound and also if you wear hearing aids they are not any good for music only speech, unless you pay a lot for them.
Graham
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Gandalf43

If you use your headphones upside down everything sounds much better  :) :)

Offline StuartR

I think it’s worth pointing out that some people don’t have very good hearing and are not therefore going to benefit from the greatly improved sound and also if you wear hearing aids they are not any good for music only speech, unless you pay a lot for them.
Graham
My hearing has gone to seed but I can still tell the difference thanks to what I perceive as a big increase in dynamic range.

Offline ugawoga

The Tyros 5 is boxy sounding compared to the Genos
That is being highly critical

The Genos is much sharper sounding than the Tyros

I reply to Udo about headphones .-------- I could not fathom out when panning a sound on my headphones, the sound came out the opposite side. left would be right  and right woul be left.
I sat down thinking ,what is up with these flaming  headphones and after a cup of tea I realised you can turn them around on your head.
One of my blond moments ::)

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:20:00 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline StuartR

If you use your headphones upside down everything sounds much better  :) :)
I'm gonna have to try that. Kinda the chin strap effect!😁

Offline ugawoga

That must be the Donald Trump method!!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:25:34 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

I sat down thinking ,what is up with these flaming  headphones and after a cup of tea I realised you can turn them around on your head.
One of my blond moments ::)

LOL For a moment I thought they might be metric! :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline ugawoga

Hi

Anyone saying the Genos is not the Instrument they thought It was are deluded.
I have the Genos and DXR8's In the home and when you set everyhing up things sound flat  and you get a little bewildered.
It is only when you sit down and think about your moves the bigger picture unfolds.
I have made six registrations now and practicing as much as I can.
I am going to take my time over these six registrations and get them to sound as professional as I can for my own satisfaction.
A lot of people compare the Genos with other keyboards and moan, but they have not looked at the real deal here.
I set my sounds up and things were not as I would like them. Some muddy and some toppy etc.

Since I have been experimenting with the eq for each section  and all the other little enhancements on my monitors the sounds are very much quality and alive when playing through my DXR8's.
You can get the drums sounding absolutely fantastic and the styles plus your Instruments.
The Tyros 5 is not a patch on the Genos even if there are a few bugs which I hear will be sorted out on the 25th of this month.

Well, since I have been having a fiddle I have not looked back.
A bit of loving care with the Genos and It is a Genius
Big tip** do not bother with the  Genos speakers at Ł300. Get those DXR8's for a Ł1000 and never look back. Once tuned In they blow your mind for quality.
Change the Genos three times and the DXR 8's will pay for themselves and last a lifetime.
Well mine anyway at 67. I will have to get some flying lessons In or I'm going down!! ;D
I can also keep my spirits up with a slug of red eye!!

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:25:02 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Will49

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration for anyone to say that Tyros 5 is lacklustre compared to a Genos, and I reckon those who say Genos is twice as good as T5 are talking utter nonsense! Far more credible to me is the assessment of those who say that Genos is marginally better in some respects, and openly admit that T5 is still quite a decent piece of kit. Sometimes I will get a bad day, and whatever I try to do on my T5/76 doesn’t sound right at all. I will then sit and watch a few of Peter Baartman’s video demos of T5, and will immediately be reassured that I own one of the best keyboards there is… and that any temporary misgivings are just down to my inability to get the best out of it!

During Tyros 4's reign as Yamaha's flagship keyboard, I happened to get into a very interesting discussion with a very knowledgeable person in the field of electronic keyboard instruments. He predicted that the Tyros line would soon come to an end to make way for a completely new design, and a new name. Well, we all knew that that would happen one day soon anyway, but he went further by saying that most of Tyros' innards, including many of its styles (revamped, of course) and other features, would probably be transplanted into the new machine. The main reason for that, he said, was down to the fact that top end keyboards have already reached such a high level of excellence that any major (or ground-breaking) improvements in sound quality from one model to the next is extremely difficult to achieve. Another interesting thing he said was that it's natural that folk who trade up to a newer model will want to reassure themselves that they did the right thing. In fact, they will so much want their latest purchase to be the best yet, that they will gradually convince themselves that they can actually hear vast improvements when, in reality, such imagined improvements hardly exist at all! And whatever improvements that do exist are often the result of tweaked effects and other settings. Like I said, that conversation took place way back in the days of T4. Oh, and I didn't tell you what the chap did (and still does) for a living did I? Well, he happens to be one of Yamaha's main dealers… but he obviously can't be named here.

Kind regards,
Will
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:25:04 PM by Will49 »

ash1

i am one of those people who thought the Genos sounded better
but when i got the chance to try the Genos a few weeks back i could hear no difference
the sounds were just the same as the Tyros 5

all the best ash1
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:52:09 PM by ash1 »

Offline valimaties

:D There are a couple of users which exaggerating about sound of Genos, telling us its sound is "miles over Tyros 5"  ;D ;D
No way... It is better, indeed, improved, compared to Tyros 5, but not so "miles over" :D

I think your Bose system does not cover all frequencies and for that the sound of Tyros 5 seems the same as Genos. It is not, I tell you ;) !

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Gandalf43

No problems friends ,

we can talk and talk...........
I have my own thoughts    ::) ::) ::)

The sales figures will tell how good the Genos is !!

A nice day to all of you

Udo

Offline Gunnar Jonny

No, it won't tell anything about how good the Genos is, but how many they manage sell. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Will49

Hi Udo, It’s obviously good to see that Genos is doing so well. But I think the totally new design has something to do with it as well. Granted, not entirely but it has obviously helped boost sales.

By the time Tyros 5 appeared, it even looked more or less identical to the previous models… all four of them! By that time, some people may have started to yawn, and feel a bit bored with the ‘same old, same old’ look. Enter the Genos… a whole new design, different colour, touch screen, the lot! The punters immediately came out of their semi-hibernation… “now this IS different, it looks totally different, it’s the very latest, it’s unbelievably expensive… so it just HAS to be the best ever”!
I’m sure that if Yamaha had put all of the Genos inside the old casing of the Tyros range, and called it Tyros 6, the sales figures wouldn’t be even close to what they are now! ;)

Regards,
Will

Gandalf43

Hi Gunnar,
Hi Will,
I agree with you !! But sales figures means for at least 4 years !!
I’ve talked to music friends over here who say : apart from the touch screen
nothing new and compared with Tyros is looks cheap which is probably
a matter of taste.
Don’t underestimate a power of the neighbour to neighbour talk and they don’t
want to sell that thing only for 12 month ???

As Will said , a new product causes often a so called Snob Appeal effect but that doesn’t mean anything.

I’ve prepared a Tyros – Genos challenge  based on some instrumental songs.
With the Tyros Audio recording and the Genos Audio recording everybody could
hear if there is a difference or not.
I dropped that idea cause I do not want any further going harsh “discussion”  about that subject.
In the first place and after all that talk about the brilliance of the Genos I wanted
to buy one. After I’ve seen , played and heard it I decided against it.

Nevertheless, congratulations to all the new Genos owners !! :) :) :)
Enjoy your new toy and send us some nice, convincing songs !! :) :) :)

A nice and sunny day (as it is over here)  to all of you

Udo

Offline EileenL

I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I saw Genos was black as having had the Tyros 1,2,3,4,and5 had gotten used to the silver colour and thought of the old keyboards I had had in black that showed up all the marks and went shinny on the parts you used a lot. Having a touch screen which I did not really want and realising it was fixed I approached with caution. Once I heard it, all the above did not matter
I was sold on what I was hearing and just OTS being used to demonstrate.
  On getting it home the first thing I did was load in one of my favorite Tyros 5 registrations and just could not believe my ears. The sound was so much clearer and the bass from the style was vastly improved and much nicer to the ear. Don't get me wrong as I had loved my Tyros 5 and still think it is a great keyboard but there is a big difference between the two. OK there is a new learning curve with touch screen but once used to it you realise that in a lot of cases it is quicker to use and set up. For those who used the MF the playlist is a vast improvement over that and is very versatile in allowing you to set up your own Set Lists with everything you want to use saved along with it.
   Having the 76 note keyboard it is so much better when setting up split points for the Left and right three parts. More space to do this now.

Offline bluali

:D ..I think your Bose system does not cover all frequencies and for that the sound of Tyros 5 seems the same as Genos. It is not, I tell you ;)
FYI I have combined the QSC K12.2 Speaker with the Bose L1/B2 (model2) to cover all range of audio frequencies!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Hi Gunnar,
Hi Will,
I agree with you !! But sales figures means for at least 4 years !!
I’ve talked to music friends over here who say : apart from the touch screen
nothing new and compared with Tyros is looks cheap which is probably
a matter of taste.....

Coming the route via several brands during the years when I did jump to the T4, the one and only Yamaha model I have owned till now.
I have to say, when handle it, I feel that Genos are a kind of 'light weight & cheep plastic fantastic' built. That feeling don't make me think it justifies the hight price level at all.
But in my eyes it looks good, touchscreen and updated OS is nice stuff, and it do in fact sound a bit better than T4 right out of the box. Also it is very good to play, keys feel good and fit my taste.
Some new features that probably never will be used by common home users, and if I may say so, bottom line is that Genos is a 'New Tyros in disguise'.  ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Fred Smith

Coming the route via several brands during the years when I did jump to the T4, the one and only Yamaha model I have owned till now.
I have to say, when handle it, I feel that Genos are a kind of 'light weight & cheep plastic fantastic' built. That feeling don't make me think it justifies the hight price level at all.
But in my eyes it looks good, touchscreen and updated OS is nice stuff, and it do in fact sound a bit better than T4 right out of the box. Also it is very good to play, keys feel good and fit my taste.
Some new features that probably never will be used by common home users, and if I may say so, bottom line is that Genos is a 'New Tyros in disguise'.  ;)

One of the big reasons I bought the Genos is because of the "light weight". A Tyros is tough to cart around. The Genos, even with 76 keys, is so much easier.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline StuartR

One of the big reasons I bought the Genos is because of the "light weight". A Tyros is tough to cart around. The Genos, even with 76 keys, is so much easier.

Fred
Yes, and I don't think it's made of cheap plastic either. It feels like some type of plastic resin hybrid material. Very lightweight and yet strong. Nicely done, IMHO.

Offline Will49

Don't get me wrong as I had loved my Tyros 5 and still think it is a great keyboard but there is a big difference between the two.
Hello Eileen,
I think it must be quite a while since I last responded directly to any of your posts… hope you are keeping well!

Well, I salute you for your honesty! Coming from you, that remark alone is worth a million posts on the matter as there are several Genos owners who seem intent on putting the T5 down by basically claiming that Genos is twice better – which, of course, is a technological impossibility!! What I am prepared to accept from reading the myriad of posts here though (until I get to try a Genos for myself) is that the overall sound may indeed be clearer and (as you just put it)  “…nicer to the ear”. After all, it comes from Yamaha and follows 5 levels of Tyros so it just has to be a decent keyboard… but not ahead of T5 by the unrealistic amount that some seem to claim! You also mention your initial reservations concerning the black finish. I understand exactly how you must have felt as all my previous black keyboards showed up every bit of dust and turned shiny around some of the most frequently used buttons… but no such problems with any of the Tyroses though.

By the way, you also mention the advantage of having 76 keys (and I agree), but I always thought your Tyros 5 was the 76 note version… perhaps I got it wrong? Anyhow, glad to see that you are getting to grips with the new learning curve, and that you are enjoying your Genos!

Best regards,
Will
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:44:32 AM by Will49 »

The following users thanked this post: Pianoman

Kaarlo von Freymann

........and I reckon those who say Genos is twice as good as T5 are talking utter nonsense! Far more credible to me is the assessment of those who say that Genos is marginally better in some respects, and openly admit that T5 is still quite a decent piece of kit.
.............but he went further by saying that most of Tyros' innards, including many of its styles (revamped, of course) and other features, would probably be transplanted into the new machine. The main reason for that, he said, was down to the fact that top end keyboards have already reached such a high level of excellence that any major .....improvements in sound quality from one model to the next is extremely difficult to achieve.
Another interesting thing he said was that it's natural that folk who trade up to a newer model will want to reassure themselves that they did the right thing. In fact, they will so much want their latest purchase to be the best yet, that they will gradually convince themselves that they can actually hear vast improvements when, in reality, such imagined improvements hardly exist at all! And whatever improvements that do exist are often the result of tweaked effects and other settings. Like I said, that conversation took place way back in the days of T4. Oh, and I didn't tell you what the chap did (and still does) for a living did I? Well, he happens to be one of Yamaha's main dealers… but he obviously can't be named here.

Kind regards,
Will

Dear Will, thanks for an excellent post, a post I have actually been yearning for. What you say reminds me of HI-FI magazine tests of super - expensive cables that claim to be  unidirectional, e.g. one must make the connection correctly  out to in. And invariably some people write in that they can hear the difference  ;D.  I happen to have both my "old" Tyros 5/6 and the new Genos standing in my recording studio both hooked up to the same output system simultaniously. The only apparent difference are the drums. And I am glad Genos got rid of the non transferable audio drums which can only be copied to the user drive which is a dwarf.  They are nice drums, but only 1 in 50 of my friends was able to say when the style was using the acoustic drums,  maybe because I never like some younger people turn up the drums to 90 dB. If there otherwise is any difference sound-wise it is of a magnitude that has no importance whatsoever when you are playing in a place where  people are for instance just dancing without even saying a word. If someone dares open his mouth any difference is illusionary.  What really makes me sad is that all the bugs the Genos has  - my Tyros had plenty of them and it took a long row of updates to finally get rid of them -  are not mentioned by so many posters. If this were a political forum I would suspect they are trolls, but as this is not a political forum it must just be that they have a so far gathered a very limited knowledge (My Genos finally arrived yesterday, it is fantastic) or have a very strong reason to praise the new YAMAHA child.  Mine has so many bugs that the  boss of the YAMAHA department of the importer has been kind enough to make an appointment to come and go through all the problems I have listed. He must be aware of there being bugs. Otherwise he would not spend his time with me, just send another Genos.  I went  to 2 gigs with the Genos instead of the Tyros as I firmly believe you can only really test an instrument  in a live situation just like you need to drive a car in heavy traffic to see whether it is better than the previous model. (Range Rover claimed I would due to a much lower cabin noise level be far happier with the new model and took me for a ride. I was sneaky enough to have a very precise noise meter with me. The new model was actually 2 dB louder than my old Range Rover)  The Genos froze several times, it did revert to default on many programmed settings,  just to name a few things. YAMAHA Scandinavia has confirmed that registration banks can not be transferred from Tyros to Genos at this time, which seems logical as  the addresses the buttons must call up are not equivalent. Nevertheless  some people on forums claim all you have to do is put a USB stick into your Tyros, copy the registration banks and put the USB stick into your Genos, Either they know something YAMAHA does not know or make false claims. What makes me a little weary is that these things are posted by people who are Genos vendors.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

The following users thanked this post: bluali, Pianoman

Offline EileenL

As I have mentioned before Tyros 5 registrations work fine in Genos. The thing to remember is that if you have used third party styles unless you copy them by first creating a back up of your Tyros 5 hard drive to computer and then copy these files onto the root directory of a USB stick the registrations will not find the links. This USB stick must be first one put into the keyboard and read USB1. Most of us put this stick into the underneath USB port. You will also need to put your extra playlist from Yamaha onto this stick for them to work properly.
  Have you updated your OS to 1.10.

Offline Fred Smith

Nevertheless  some people on forums claim all you have to do is put a USB stick into your Tyros, copy the registration banks and put the USB stick into your Genos, Either they know something YAMAHA does not know or make false claims. What makes me a little weary is that these things are posted by people who are Genos vendors.

That's all I had to do. Had my Genos working with all my Tyros registrations within 15 minutes of turning on the Genos.

You're better off asking for help rather than saying that people who have actually done something don't know what they are talking about. You don't make very many friends that way.

To add to what Eileen said, you need to upgrade to OS version 1.10 before you do anything.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline StuartR

Dear Will, thanks for an excellent post, a post I have actually been yearning for. What you say reminds me of HI-FI magazine tests of super - expensive cables that claim to be  unidirectional, e.g. one must make the connection correctly  out to in. And invariably some people write in that they can hear the difference  ;D.  I happen to have both my "old" Tyros 5/6 and the new Genos standing in my recording studio both hooked up to the same output system simultaniously. The only apparent difference are the drums. And I am glad Genos got rid of the non transferable audio drums which can only be copied to the user drive which is a dwarf.  They are nice drums, but only 1 in 50 of my friends was able to say when the style was using the acoustic drums,  maybe because I never like some younger people turn up the drums to 90 dB. If there otherwise is any difference sound-wise it is of a magnitude that has no importance whatsoever when you are playing in a place where  people are for instance just dancing without even saying a word. If someone dares open his mouth any difference is illusionary.  What really makes me sad is that all the bugs the Genos has  - my Tyros had plenty of them and it took a long row of updates to finally get rid of them -  are not mentioned by so many posters. If this were a political forum I would suspect they are trolls, but as this is not a political forum it must just be that they have a so far gathered a very limited knowledge (My Genos finally arrived yesterday, it is fantastic) or have a very strong reason to praise the new YAMAHA child.  Mine has so many bugs that the  boss of the YAMAHA department of the importer has been kind enough to make an appointment to come and go through all the problems I have listed. He must be aware of there being bugs. Otherwise he would not spend his time with me, just send another Genos.  I went  to 2 gigs with the Genos instead of the Tyros as I firmly believe you can only really test an instrument  in a live situation just like you need to drive a car in heavy traffic to see whether it is better than the previous model. (Range Rover claimed I would due to a much lower cabin noise level be far happier with the new model and took me for a ride. I was sneaky enough to have a very precise noise meter with me. The new model was actually 2 dB louder than my old Range Rover)  The Genos froze several times, it did revert to default on many programmed settings,  just to name a few things. YAMAHA Scandinavia has confirmed that registration banks can not be transferred from Tyros to Genos at this time, which seems logical as  the addresses the buttons must call up are not equivalent. Nevertheless  some people on forums claim all you have to do is put a USB stick into your Tyros, copy the registration banks and put the USB stick into your Genos, Either they know something YAMAHA does not know or make false claims. What makes me a little weary is that these things are posted by people who are Genos vendors.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

Sorry but you are incorrect. My Tyros 5 registrations (almost 700 of them) all work just fine on Genos. I play them every day and I'm using one of my two Genos keyboards in a live band. Haven't had any lockups.

Offline valimaties

Sorry but you are incorrect. My Tyros 5 registrations (almost 700 of them) all work just fine on Genos. I play them every day and I'm using one of my two Genos keyboards in a live band. Haven't had any lockups.

Sorry, but you are incorrect, too :) I don't know what are you saved in your registrations on Tyros 5, but I have had some issues with my Tyros5 registrations loaded in Genos, as some of Delay DSP has Feedback parameter over the maximum value accepted, or other issues, like Distortion DSP on guitar as on Tyros 5 I had Chorus DSP, etc...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

Well one expects to have to do some resetting of Tyros 5 registration banks anyway so no big deal. I have not had any problem with mine as yet.

Offline mikf

It has always been the case that styles, registrations etc are largely transferrable between arranger models in the PSR /Tyros range, but sometimes need tweaking. That is why people devised conversion software, and even after using the conversion they may still not be exact. This is because there are differences in styles and voices, and all the registration can do is pick the nearest thing.  For example, even if Yamaha have not made big change to a voice, they might have tweaked some parameters between models, and his applies also to voices used in the style. So when people say they can transfer they don't necessarily mean they are exactly the same in every case, or that they worked without a little tweaking here and there, because they really cannot be. I wouldn't call this a bug.
Mike