Author Topic: Is there a way to search MSB-LSB-PC# address on display menu?  (Read 5079 times)

topick

Is there a way to search MSB-LSB-PC# address on display menu?
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a way from keyboard's display menu to search for voice correct addresses (I mean the MSB, LSB and the PC number)?
Not sure but have a feeling that the data list provided by Yamaha may have few errors.

I'm trying to create an INS file for my PSR-A3000, and noticed some of the voice won't play and found additional voices those are not listed but do play?!

Now, if there is a way to view every single voice's address direct from the menu will be a great help.

Thanks,
Topick

Offline deepsae48

Re: Is there a way to search MSB-LSB-PC# address on display menu?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
Function==> Utillity, tab to Config 2
Press B
Left bottom corner there is VOICE NUMBER , press button 2 to select SHOW
Exit
Now select a sample Voice
you will see something like  #63-006-17 on top of the voice
The left number (63 or 64) is MSB, the middle number is LSB

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
Did you adjust the Program Change number by -1 to match the range that most DAWs expect?

topick

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
Thanks it works.
Assuming the far right number is the PC number? configured as (-1)?

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:47:27 PM »
Yes, the order is MSB-LSB-PC#. In the Data List the PC#s are listed 1 greater than their actual MIDI values-- that is, the PC#s can be from 1 to 128 in the Data List, but in the actual MIDI data they are from 0 to 127, or 1 less than what the Data List shows. So if you're using the values in the Data List to create an INS file for a DAW, you will need to subtract 1 from the PC#s as shown in the Data List to get the correct MIDI value for the DAW to use.

However, not all DAWs do it the same way, so you need to be mindful of which numbering style your DAW uses. For instance, Ableton Live uses 1 to 128 for the PC#, and it also uses 1 to 128 for the MSB and LSB-- so if you're using Ableton Live then you wouldn't need to adjust the PC#s, but you would need to add 1 to the MSBs and LSBs! Crazy, huh? :o

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
Crazy, huh? :o

Right, Michael

I think it is a historic notation.
In most situations lists starts at number 1...
But in progamming lists always starts at 0...

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

topick

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
I'm using Sonar platinum. Being an old computer programmer myself, understand the confusion behind 0 and 1. What I did, I  converted the data list (provided by Yamaha) to MS excel sheet and added an extra column 0-127 which takes the pc#(-1). Between us boys, learned it in hard way.

Once it is ready and tested ok, I'll post it for everyone to use.
I may send it to you folks, if possible, for an integrity check before posting it.

Thanks for all the help,
Topick
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:19:09 AM by topick »