Author Topic: GENOS wifi dongle  (Read 10865 times)

Offline anandmaloo

GENOS wifi dongle
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Hi,

Since the Genos unit I bought in India does not have inbuilt wifi, please suggest any dongle which I can get to fill up that deficiency in my machine. Hopefully the dongle that I get would help me add the YEM packs through wifi without completely rewriting all the packs.

Regards

Anand

Offline EileenL

Re: GENOS wifi dongle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »
Genos will always format before loading any packs so you have to make sure you have everything you want to use when you create a pack. Do this to a USB stick and load to keyboard from there.

The following users thanked this post: anandmaloo

Offline AlBags

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »
Do you actually KNOW that your Indian Genos version SUPPORTS wifi?
Maybe it doesnt .. and even the firmware may be different!
If it does not support WiFi, plugging a wiFi dongle may do nothing at all.

Al
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:09:24 AM by AlBags »
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »
Since my Genos has the same OS and the latest Firmware upgrade, it is difficult for me to know if my Genos supports wifi dongle or not, unless I plug it in.  And I surely don't want to buy it (I have to get it from US to India) without being sure about it's efficacy.  Any pointers please

Regards

Anand

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
Since my Genos has the same OS and the latest Firmware upgrade, it is difficult for me to know if my Genos supports wifi dongle or not, unless I plug it in.....

Hi Anand.

Is there any internet connection page in the menu that is visible, even "greyed out" so no settings possible, or nothing about WLAN/LAN at all?
If there is, it might be possible add a compatible USB-dongle, if not, the big question is if it's possible to install any drivers to Genos at all.

WLAN dongle usually need a driver, and if there are no preinstalled drivers in Genos similiar to what it was i.e. at Tyros 4, or any compabilitylist of Brands/Types to be used, it's most likely not possible if correct drivers can't be installed into Genos

If noone here know more certain about it, maybe you could try contact your dealer or Yamaha Support by log in to your Yamaha Account and use the mail function there?
They should be able to answer your question, and will usually respond within 48 hours.

Also there is, according to other posts here, a new firmwareversion on the way. You'll never know what's in it before it's being released.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
Go to Menu and choose page two. At the bottom on the right hand side of the screen you will see Wireless Lan.
Press this and then set it up as directed. No dongle is needed because it is now in the keyboard .

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »
According to manual page 112 it may be that his Genos don't have this function.
Quote:
*1 The wireless LAN function may not be included depending on your area.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline AlBags

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:56:06 AM »

Sure Yamaha would not offer support for a non WI-fi version.
It beats me why they would offer sell a (-Wi-fi) version.

If the setup screen is there, you have a chance, if not, probably no chance. The onboard software has to support USB Wi-Fi to use a standalone dongle. Even then, your Genos may not 'see' the connection. You'll just have to try it.

Al.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 06:41:07 AM »
anandmaloo, man, sell your Genos, or make a refund, and take a Genos from China (Genos mother country :D ) or from Europe, or from USA, where it has a buildin WiFi.

As I did in Tyros 5 and also in Genos, not every time the keyboard will be formated when you install multiple packs from YEM through Wireless Connection. I don't know exactly the circumstances when Genos (or YEM based keyboards) does not format memory... Probably, when you don't erase custom samples based on waves imported in YEM it does not format it...

Regards,
Vali 

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline maartenb

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
Is the law in India different for WiFi from other countries?
Does WiFi in India use different frequencies than 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Why wouldn't the Genos have WiFi in India?

Maarten

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
There is no menu option, not even anything greyed out. The area earmarked for the wifi option in 2nd screen of Menu is just blank. So maybe I will just have to wait for a clarification from  Yamaha / local dealer  again (who brazenly said there is no wifi in Indian model when I contacted him initially)

Thanks for your replies

Warm Regards

Anand

Funplayer

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 05:06:18 AM »
Hi Anand,
Have you checked your usb stick?
They could disturb your Wlan connection at start up and then you don’t see the WLAN button on menu page 2
To check this, remove ALL the usb sticks and start your engine again.
I have had the same problem...

Hope this helps!
Paul

Marcus

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:00:59 AM »
I was looking at the UD-WL01 USB Wireless LAN Adaptor Tyros 5 Dongle Owner’s Manual. Under specifications:

Standards - IEEE802.11b/g/n (IEEE802.11n 5GHz: not compatible)

Range of transmit frequency (Channel’s) - Models for United States and Canada 2412-2462 MHz (channels 1-11)
Others: 2412-2472MHz (Channel’s 1-13)

Security - WEP, WPA-PSK(TKIP), WPA-PSK(AES), WPA2-PSK(AES), WPA/WPA2 mixed PSK

Obviously specifications differ from each locale or country. Hopefully this additional info might help. WiFi may not even be compatible in your area or country. Again, WiFi isn’t necessary if expansion packs are installed by USB method or pack install via USB stick method.

Marcus

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »
Thanks guys for taking time out to reply. Checked without the USB sticks. No luck.

Regards

Anand

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
 Again, WiFi isn’t necessary if expansion packs are installed by USB method or pack install via USB stick method.

Marcus

Hi Marcus.
I disagree, as on WiFi transmission, in  most of cases it only update your package in Genos and is not formatting memory ;) Time is what we need... If I only add a Voice in a custom pack, I don't see why I have to reinstall all packs, and wait 10-15 minutes... On update process it lasts only couple of seconds (depending on the size of new voice)...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Marcus

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Hi Marcus.
I disagree, as on WiFi transmission, in  most of cases it only update your package in Genos and is not formatting memory ;) Time is what we need... If I only add a Voice in a custom pack, I don't see why I have to reinstall all packs, and wait 10-15 minutes... On update process it lasts only couple of seconds (depending on the size of new voice)...

Regards,
Vali
Hi Vali
Yes, you are correct, but if I didn't have WiFi it wouldn't stop me from buying a Genos. Same functions available via USB stick, but as you say, it would take at times seconds verses minutes.

I previously owned the Tyros 3, which utilizes Dimm memory for expansion. It took my Tyros 3 over 20 minutes to load the expansion, "every time" I turned on my Tyros. Personally, I load new expansion from time to time, but not everyday. At least once expansion is loaded, it is available almost instantly when you turn your Tyros 4/5-Genos on. So WiFi isn't a deal breaker for me, but it at times is definitely more convenient and preferred over the USB method or instead having to use a MIDI Interface with an iPad or whatever.

Marcus

Offline valimaties

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
Personally, if I was in place of anandmaloo, I better will bought Genos from other country, which has built-in WiFi. I don't want to be deprived of the WiFi component.
I don't know the politics of WiFi in other countries, but I don't know why some components would not be included even if they don't work in some areas!  ??? :o

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline AlBags

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »

Manufacturing cost saving!
Al.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
Manufacturing cost saving!
Al.

Come on, for a big brand as Yamaha is, is shameful, if this is the reason!!! I don't WANT to think that is the reason!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
Come on, for a big brand as Yamaha is, is shameful, if this is the reason!!! I don't WANT to think that is the reason!

It's not about money, most likely it is about restrictions in some countries. I.e. wireless bandwidth 2.4, USA, only 11 channels legal, in EU 13.
The most costeffective for Yamaha will be to pruduce all models as similiar as possible, with no differences at all.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline AlBags

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
 ....  Yes ... like make a model without wi-fi at all!
       $15 per unit saved: 10,000 units = $150,000

802.11 Standards for Wi-Fi are set by development, not licensing.
All of the a/b/g/n/ac devices will work in all the countries .. except Japan, which has a special standard extension 802.11j
What DOES vary is the Channels available to be used within these bands, as J says about U.S. This could be the only issue effecting Wi-f deletei for India. I have been there, and there is wi-fi everywhere!

The motor industry does the same .. frequently, like taking a sticker off a battery in USA market, removing ashtray in some car markets.

Al.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:58:08 AM by AlBags »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
....  Yes ... like make a model without wi-fi at all!
       $15 per unit saved: 10,000 units = $150,000

I don't think that selling price of a Genos keyboard is affected by (15$ per unit + adds) (in minus) :D
So If we think that selling price of WiFi board is something like 40$ sell price of WiFi in each keyboard * 10,000 units = $400,000 they earn without installing WiFi bord inside keyboard :)

_________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Now, If we look here

(WiFi networks in India - New Delhi)
we see that there are a lot of WiFi networks. So definitely, the WiFi is implemented also in India, I don't understand the reason of non-implementing WiFi board in Genos!

If you make a google search about India WiFi, you will find that also 2.4GHz and 5GHz are available in India!

As you can see HERE only 5GHz is different of what channels are free to use...

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:13:00 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos