Author Topic: Update hasn't improved Playlist  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Duffy

Update hasn't improved Playlist
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »
Am I alone in finding my playlist is still not in alphabetical order after installing new update.
It was fine when I first restarted Genos and I was enjoying going through it but, after about 15 minutes, I found that it was all out of order again.
Switched Genos off and restarted again but it's still out of order and there seems no way to sort it.

Offline StuartR

Re: Update hasn't improved Playlist
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:38:52 AM »
Am I alone in finding my playlist is still not in alphabetical order after installing new update.
It was fine when I first restarted Genos and I was enjoying going through it but, after about 15 minutes, I found that it was all out of order again.
Switched Genos off and restarted again but it's still out of order and there seems no way to sort it.

I don't know if it's related to your issue but I can tell you that the internal DB that maintains the index of searchable items doesn't refresh that often and I don't know what exactly triggers a refresh. I've seen a message on the screen saying the last time the index was refreshed was 30 minutes ago.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:27:22 AM »
They say that an import of MF file will create an alphabetical order playlist.
Also the last indexed is in the Changed list of this update...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:36:54 AM »
They say that an import of MF file will create an alphabetical order playlist.
Also the last indexed is in the Changed list of this update...

Regards,
Vali

I can tell you that I deleted a large folder of registrations (over 700) and then copied it back and that didn't trigger an index operation. Subsequent searches still said the last index rebuild was over 30 minutes ago.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:38:11 AM »
Hi.
I have loaded the playlists from the Yamaha downloadsite before the update to v1.20.
Just tested, all is in alphabetical order. Also the 'example' list. Even after a fresh restart, everything is the same.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 03:49:06 AM »
Hi.
I have loaded the playlists from the Yamaha downloadsite before the update to v1.20.
Just tested, all is in alphabetical order. Also the 'example' list. Even after a fresh restart, everything is the same.

So this is good, don't ?!

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 06:31:55 AM »
So this is good, don't ?!

It works here, and if you want to have it alphabeticly it's probably good as is.
But I asume it's easy to rename by use of numbers before names to have your own playlist in the order of personal liking, or make personal playlists from scratch.
Btw, I seem to remember there is a thread/post where a excel file to use to work with playlists is uploaded by a member?
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
Here’s what I’ve found.  I imported an MFD file from my S970 and the file turned playlist is in alphabetical order.  I have also built my own playlist and I set it not in alphabetical order but the order I want to perform the songs in.   I do not see a function anywhere where if I wanted to alphabetize them I could.  Maybe I’m missing something there?
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
An alphabetical playlist is identical to the list in the T5 and is of no extra advantage. On the T5, I have created set lists by doing what Gunnar does. For example:

1 Fly Me To The Moon
2 Back Home Again
3 All Of Me
Works great! Where's the big advantage of the so-called Genos playlist? Of course most Canadians won't know until next year sometime when Canada gets passed over with the Genos and finally gets the Genos 2 (LOL)  :P.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »
For those of you who already have the app SongBook+ on an iPad or tablet .. . .and connect the iPad to your Genos keyboard.

Now that it is very easy to control the keyboard with the iPad/SongBook+,  using the SongBook+ you can easily create as many playlists as you want in any order (alpha, genre).  You control the gig with the iPad.    I do not even use the Genos playlist feature.

If you do not have SongBook+ or equivalent app just disregard my comment.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
My understanding is that registrations are placed in alphabetical order, not playlists.

This was also true of my Korg PA4X.  The master list(Songbook) was in alphabetical order, however, setlists(similar to playlists) were in order of when they were added.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »
For those of you who already have the app SongBook+ on an iPad or tablet .. . .and connect the iPad to your Genos keyboard.

Now that it is very easy to control the keyboard with the iPad/SongBook+,  using the SongBook+ you can easily create as many playlists as you want in any order (alpha, genre).  You control the gig with the iPad.    I do not even use the Genos playlist feature.

thanks

The playlists can be used in 2 ways - If you have a gig playlist then you would want it to stay in the order you entered it.
If, like me, you want to set up for a new song which you haven't played before, then I use Yamaha's suggested setting as a base to start working from but, how do you find a song in a list of more than 1500 songs if they are not in alphabetical order?

What's needed is 2 boxes on the screen where you can tick whether to keep a playlist in the same order or whether to put it in alphabetic order to make searching quick and easy.
Surprised that Yamaha didn't consider the possibility of how the playlists would be used.

Thanks to the guys who posted their findings and suggestions how to help but I think I will leave the playlist alone until Yamaha makes it worthy of the fantastic Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
My understanding is that registrations are placed in alphabetical order, not playlists.....

I'm not sure about if each playlist will be automaticly sorted, have to take a look, but the content inside each playlist is alphabetical unless you reorganize in other way.
As you can name every playlist imported or created as you desire, to me this is a minor issue because I have no need for that many lists.
But when have a lot of song settings saved inside the playlist, it is a very nice option.

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Antonio

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
IMHO, the expected changes with the 1.20 are, unfortunately, only a face-lifting, which substantially changes. It seems that the Genos keyboard was designed and built (well) by Senior Engineers, and left in the hands of Junior Engineers.
All of this Genos is a Mister Jekill and Mister Hide.
This was a keyboard to be put on the market in November 2018.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »
It seems that most people are very pleased with the new update. It is not hard to put your playlist in the order you want it. Use the UP Down arrows to select the positions and then press Save.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:12 AM »
It seems that most people are very pleased with the new update. It is not hard to put your playlist in the order you want it. Use the UP Down arrows to select the positions and then press Save.

I'm also very pleased with the new update Eileen, except for the playlist problem.
I don't know how many hours it would take me to place many hundreds of tunes in correct alphabetical order but I don't have enough time  or patience and prefer to spend my time actually playing the Genos rather than do something a computer could do in a couple of minutes.
I still think it's strange that some peoples playlists are alphabetical and mine isn't (although it was for the first 15 minutes after the update before it reverted back).

I also made the point that we should choose whether to have the playlist alphabetical or not because if you have a gig playlist, you would need it in the order you created it.
It should be quite simple for Yamaha to give us a choice in this matter.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Here’s my 2 pennies worth. First a Playlist entry is simply a registration.  What I do is have registrations in a a master gig folder, by default they are sorted alphabetical order.  If I want to configure a Playlist all I need do is add my registrations to the Playlist feature, it’s pretty simply to reorder them at that point.   

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Antonio

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »

Your advice is always on time and welcome. Slowly I can digest this bizarre genos.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:04:09 AM by Antonio »

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »

thanks

Al,

Are you able to do this wirelessly on Genos?
guitpic1

Offline valimaties

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 08:34:24 PM »
If the playlist was a coded file as registration bank is, I don't see a problem to be unpleased, but if it can be ordered by computer job, I see this as a caprice.
Yes, this is a feature that could be inserted in a next firmware update, but sincerely, there are "problems" a lot more important as sorting a playlist... like style creator 16 channels availability, CASM editor integrated... these are important updates, not sorting a playlist  :-\

Most of fixes or changes by 1.20 firmware was important fixes  and updates to this OS. If we send mails to them they will look at the problem. We don't know how much time they have or how many of Yamaha stuff is watching on this site to have time to view all the posts in this forum... As long as we don't have a direct relation or feedback from them by solved problems was by reading this forum I have to believe that mailing or contact them by phone was the only way they knew about the bugs solved.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 02:59:45 AM »
Al,

Are you able to do this wirelessly on Genos?

Yes.  I am using the Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless midi adaptor that connects the iPad and SongBook+ app to the Genos keyboard wirelesly and instantly.   It is a thing of beauty.  I highly recommend it.  With SonBook+ you can create your own playlists (as many as you want in any order you want).  You control the gig from the iPad/Songbook+.   I highly recommend it.  Because of this, i do not need or use the Playlist feature of Genos.  Hope it helps.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 03:09:06 AM »
Tx
guitpic1

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
Yes.  I am using the Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless midi adaptor that connects the iPad and SongBook+ app to the Genos keyboard wirelesly and instantly.   It is a thing of beauty.  I highly recommend it.  With SonBook+ you can create your own playlists (as many as you want in any order you want).  You control the gig from the iPad/Songbook+.   I highly recommend it.  Because of this, i do not need or use the Playlist feature of Genos.  Hope it helps.

thanks

Al great suggestion, thanks for bringing that point up.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks