Author Topic: Newbie Problem Recording Drums on S970  (Read 7249 times)

DemoMan

Newbie Problem Recording Drums on S970
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:23:04 AM »
I'm having an issue with the accompaniment rhythm/drum part not recording on my S970. I've only owned it a few hours so I'm sure I'm making an obvious mistake but after reviewing the online manual as well as the recording tutorial on this board, I'm not seeing the answer. I am hoping you will help a newbie get past a silly error.

Steps:
- I choose a style (it happens to be "Easy 8 Beat")
- I split the keyboard and choose some voices and turn on accompaniment,
- I press record, then start.
- I let the accompaniment drums play a measure, then I come in and play my ditty with my own ten thumbs.
- I press the fade key to fade out and the recording auto stops at the end of the fade.
- I save it, select it, and play it back. All good -- except no drums!

So I've tried:
- Checking to make sure each of the 16 tracks is set to record -- they are.
- Checking to see that TR1, TR2, and EXTRA TR are all lit -- they are.
- Checking to see that the parts are each turned on.
  - Here is where I discovered that the drums are playing from a part labeled "audio". Perhaps because they are sampled? Dunno, but if I turn off the "audio" part while playing with accompaniment turned on (regardless of whether I am recording or not), the drums stop playing.
- Checking to see that the parts are each assigned to tracks.
   - So I go to the track assignments. As I cycle through the 16 track buttons I see track assignment choices in the little scroll window for: left, right1, right2, bass, various pads, rhythm -- but no choice for "audio".
- So how do I get the drums to record (and any insight as to why the drums/rhythm are associated to the part labeled "audio"?)?

My ten thumbs need all the accompaniment help they can get -- especially drums. Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Offline XeeniX

Re: Newbie Problem Recording Drums on S970
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:00:30 AM »
Without knowing the S970 and just from a fast look at your post. Are you perhaps recording midi while using an audio style?
in that case everything will be recorded except for the audio drum parts. These can only be recorded using the audio recorder. Not sure though if that easy 8 beat is an audio style since I do not own a S-970.

*EDIT*  Just checked, easy 8 beat IS an audio style.

kind regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:09:17 AM by XeeniX »

DemoMan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
Thanks XeeniX, I'm sure that's it. I now grok that an audio style is exactly that -- wave form audio.

I had the impression that the S970 would record audio in sync with midi parts, but with your help I get it now -- I can either record midi (and in that case not use audio styles if I want to hear them played back), or I can record audio (and use whatever style I want).

Guess it's time for me to figure out how to use a DAW.

Thanks again!

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
A DAW, especially when you want more and above all an easier way to edit your recordings, is a necessary evil ;)
The midi parts of the audio style though can still be recorded in midi. That will hand you the flexibility to, for example,  reroute them to a sample player like Kontakt. Or use  for example the Addicitive drums (2) VST to replace the audio drum parts.

But even if you don't want to use a DAW there is still the possibility to mix the preset/premium/expansion midi styles with those audio styles. For starters you could save an audio style to the user area than replace the drum part from the audio style with some more or less similar/suitable midi drum style parts. Now I'm no expert in this and certainly not adequate enough to teach anyone but with some creativity and a little help from the more knowledgeable people present here on this forum you can come quite far I bet :)

kind regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:17:19 AM by XeeniX »

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Peter's solution of replacing the audio drums with midi drums is the easiest way if you want to use only the s970 and want to keep the whole song as a midi file.

In case you need to know which track is recorded to each midi channel,so if you cannot hear the drums you know that channels 9 & 10 are empty.

Here is a post of Ian's.

The default recording parts for each channel are:

Channel 1   :   Right 1
Channel 2   :   Left
Channel 3   :   Right 2
Channel 4   :    - 
Channel 5   :   Multi Pad 1
Channel 6   :   Multi Pad 2
Channel 7   :   Multi Pad 3
Channel 8   :   Multi Pad 4
Channel 9   :   Rhythm 1
Channel 10 :   Rhythm 2