Author Topic: Back in the fold...for now  (Read 8157 times)

Offline guitpic1

Back in the fold...for now
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
Got a good deal on a Genos with time to try it out and the option to send it back for a full refund if I don’t want to keep it.

As I make my decision, your input is appreciated.

Soundwise it’s the best keyboard I’ve ever played. The design and layout are well thought out too.  The registration/playlist thing has got me scratching my head.

For the past four years, I’ve been gigging for seniors with a PSR/Tyros or my Korg PA4X.

Last fall, I had a hip replaced and am rethinking the gigging thing with an eye toward being a home player that occasionally gigs.  I love the Genos(for the most part) and let’s face it, the PSR Tutorial community, for Yamaha players, is as good as it gets. 😊

I don’t get(yet) how the registration/playlist thing works on Genos but there is support here.

Whether I keep it or not..the jury is still out.  The biggest Genos pluses are it’s sound, this community, lovely, large, touchscreen, and the layout.

That said, I can’t help but compare it a bit to my 4X.  To my way of thinking, the 4X is better built considering keys/keybed, knobs and sliders.  When I bought the 4X, I believed, as I do now, that the keyboard was a lot of bang for the $$$...don’t quite see the Genos that way.

I’m not interested in starting a Genos vs. 4X comparison..that would be of no help in making my decision. I just mentioned the 4X so you would have some understanding of where I’m coming from.

All thoughts appreciated.

Tx

😊
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:47:31 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline stephenm52

Re: Back in the fold...for now
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
Check your Jrlee email address, I’ve sent you a message there regarding playlists, it should clear things up.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
All thoughts appreciated.

This should be posted in "Genos in house" tread, but since you opened this one, I put it here. :)

Genos in house, and the first impression is actually not too bad.

Unpacked and sat to replace T4, it looks nice visually. Black is back, missed that since the KN days. In fact it's not black, it's very deep dark grey close to black. ;)
First thing to do after setup was the update to v1.10. Smooth and easy, no problems.
Keybed feels great, looks very much like T4, but more "punchy", not quite as soft as T4. But, I like it that way!
Touchscreen and OS layout is nice, modern and "up to date" visually, nice touch response as is, and very configurable to personal like.
Yamaha has worked a lot with the styles, also most intro/end/fills I've tested till now are updated or redone. All to the better as far as I hear it till now.
The Revo drums is great, and the bass and drums do sure make things more live.

Older Tx/T4 stuff loads and play just fine as far as I can see by now, but not tested much because it's so much new to explore. It looks like a fresh Genos start and to create new "playlist" is better than try adapt everything from older existing archives.
Did not manage download free packs and stuff as described from Y-Soft, code to free stuff was not valid, nothing at the Yammie site did as they write it should in the welcome mail. :(
(Download and install stuff from the resourse site, like updateed T5 files, programware etc. no problems at all, packs also installed well at Genos.)

Even if I'm a lot more pleased by this new Y model than ever before, the overall sound is still very "Yamaha'ish" out of the box. A bit too "cold and CD'ish", my taste is a bit softer and warmer, but that is very personal, also probably 'old fashion' if listen to all modern stuff there is nowadays.
But again, it's as I mentioned after heard and seen YT demoes, the best sounding Yammie arranger till date.
Have to say that, just to defend the huge dump it caused in my wallet. ;)
No, seriously it looks good so far, it's going to stay and we're probably going to play together for a long time, and then in not too long add a Korg PA to replace the MA at the topof the rack.  :) :) :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
So far as I can see people are enjoying the playlist feature and is what they have been asking for for a very long time. A Music finder that stores everything. That is really what playlist is. You can make lots of your own
ideal for playing a set list at a gig. Like everything you co have to spend time getting used to it.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:29:28 AM »
Yes, I agree with Eileen, I think the Genos is the best from Yamaha for a good while and at last they have put a superb speaker system with this great keyboard, I was never impressed at all with the speaker systems that came with the Tyros but the Genos one is brillient. I can;t think of anything yet that I have found which I don't like, apart from what I posted here a while ago about the touch, but I won't go into that here as it is really a minor thing. The OTS are great and the Bonus Playlist is also great.  :)
Bill

Offline StuartR

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:34:06 AM »
So far as I can see people are enjoying the playlist feature and is what they have been asking for for a very long time. A Music finder that stores everything. That is really what playlist is. You can make lots of your own
ideal for playing a set list at a gig. Like everything you co have to spend time getting used to it.

Yes, playlists are great, IMHO. The music finder feature in past arrangers didn't provide any gigging support value to me.
Montage has a similar playlist feature and they improved it with subsequent firmware.

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »
I only occasionally perform away from home, but when I did with Tyros I always made up a playlist, by making a copy of the file  which meant placing a number in front of each item, 01, 04, 07,10, etc leaving spaces so I could slot other items in if I needed to, I saved this to the user page because sometimes when playing from the HDD the registrations didn’t change quickly enough. The problem was, if I made any changes here I would have to remember to also save the original file where I had copied it from, and some times I forgot and lost these changes.
Genos play list has made things so much easier. I can easily move the files into any order I want and change them around as often as I like. I can also make alterations to any of my songs and know that
I am changing the original file wherever it might be stored. Brilliant!
Graham
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Del 123

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 03:03:03 AM »
Hi,

I came across this really great link on you tube explaining the Genos playlist in detail plus other really good tips. Until now I found the playlist confusing but since watching the video..it is all now very clear.

The Guy works at Bonner’s music shop in the Uk and his name is Micheal. I didn’t hesitate to subscribe to his channel.

This is the link:

https://youtu.be/xAdNuIC49KI

If it doesn’t work just tap in the following: KeyboardKrazy49 in the you tube search box.

Hope this is helpful :)

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 06:01:53 AM »
Check your Jrlee email address, I’ve sent you a message there regarding playlists, it should clear things up.

Thx.  Very helpful.
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
Tx again Stephen,

I think I got it.
guitpic1

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
Tx again Stephen,

I think I got it.

You're welcome glad to have helped.

Gunnar Jonny CONGRATS on your new Genos!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline soryt

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »

@ Stephenm ,

Is it possible to share your "secret" with us all ?

Regards,
Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »
Gunnar,

Good thoughts.
guitpic1

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
@ Stephenm ,

Is it possible to share your "secret" with us all ?

Regards,
Soryt  :)

Yes I can.  I sent an email to guitpic with photos and step by step directions on how to save a playlist.  If I can figure how how to post that here I will. If not I’ll send you a PM Or to anyone else who would like to read what I sent.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
....If I can figure how how to post that here I will....

Maybe a good idea to ask Joe to put up a Genos "tips&tricks" page at the main site? A kind of "How To Do" page.
Not much genos stuff there yet. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 05:26:16 AM »
Maybe a good idea to ask Joe to put up a Genos "tips&tricks" page at the main site? A kind of "How To Do" page.
Not much genos stuff there yet. ;)

GJ, great suggestion!   The text of my instructions will display, but the photos did not. I’m going to email Joe.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks