Author Topic: What is NEW in GENOS  (Read 27955 times)

Offline Tommy 73

Re: What is NEW in GENOS
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
Never worry about space for samples or anything as a separate hard drive is all you need.
If people are performers In clubs , then just use what you need for that set ,and all other backed up to a hard drive.
I reckon the Genos will have plenty of headroom for the studio and performer 8)

People are worried about arpegiators WHY!!??   Use vst' s. Go great with the Genos or Tyros 5  skys the limit combinations :)
The Genos with those physical sliders and assignment s will blow you out of the water
The sounds will have to be better and going by Fred saying this thing is crazy the Genos Is a no brainer :o ;D

Or am I just ARPING ON!!!! ::)
What is the fuss with arps as all it means that you have to play a little more without them ,that's all, otherwise sit back and listen to Pink Floyd
We love Pink Floyd...here they are in my studio...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Thecooltool

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
*** Unbelievable! Thank you for Joystick vs that stupid wheels. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Best improvement on this model!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
We love Pink Floyd...here they are in my studio...

Yea... on a computer monitor.  LOL

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
Yea... on a computer monitor.  LOL

Joe H
no in my studio framed on the wall
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline Joe H

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 08:28:46 PM »
Bachus,

But... Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am waiting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

;D

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »
Hay Joe.. ..

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline Stubby

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »

I keep hoping for a leaked manual, but I think I can wait until Monday.  :D

A question for those familiar with Yamaha's habits -- do they usually publish their manuals before their new keyboards hit the shelves?  Leaked manuals are another issue, tho.

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
Here is the old girl saying hello to you....if you still don't believe me joe....

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:48:41 PM by Tommy 73 »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Here is the old girl saying hello to you....if you still don't believe me joe....

What part of town do you live in?  I can be there in a hour!

:)    :)    :)    :)    :)

Joe H

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »
So is see pa4x to the left, kronos in lower position...

Now you got me wondering what on top?
this photo missing drawmer 1973

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »
Closer for Bachus still missing drawmer 1973

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
Could have guessed, a Roland masterkey for comtrolling the integra?

Nice setup Tommy..

Roland+korg+yamaha gives you the whole soundpallette..

I sold my integra not to long ago...
Thanks Bachus just a little fun with Joe there ...joe any time your welcome ... now back to Genos.....

Offline Joe H

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »
I have to say Tommy 73,

You are the first person on this forum to sport a studio better than mine!

8)   8)    8)

Joe H
(can only give mine two  8)   8) )

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
I have to say Tommy 73,

You are the first person on this forum to sport a studio better than mine!

8)   8)    8)

Joe H
(can only give mine two  8)   8) )
Thanks Joe ...but you have not had the pleasure of me playing ...we are on the 4th set of new neighbours this year (!)  and I have a feeling the Genos could make me single again  :o
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:35:18 PM by Tommy 73 »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »
Thanks Joe ...but you have not had the pleasure of me playing ...we are on the 4th set of new neighbours this year (!)  and I have a feeling the Genos could make me single again  :o

It's hard to tell... but it just might that Pink Floyd could be a problem too!

;D

Joe H

Offline pjd

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
Of course this is speculating: this is what we are doing here all the time.

Hi Kari --

Thanks for the post. It's nice to hear from someone who is interested in the circuit level.  :)

I've crawled through the schematics of the Montage and and the Yamaha patents covering the memory interface, etc. for the tone generator. http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-hardware-platform/ and http://sandsoftwaresound.net/swp70-tone-generator/

So, yeah, I'm already familiar with ONFI.   :D

There are two very different purposes for the internal drive (maybe it's an SSD, maybe not) and the waveform memory. The waveform memory directly feeds the SWP70 through a dedicated communication bus, ONFI compatible. The TG actually gets its incredible memory bandwidth through its dedicated wave working memory (SDRAM) which better supports random access than NAND flash.

The internal drive holds styles, MIDI song files, etc. and communicates with the host (control) computer (i.e., an ARM processor in the Montage, who knows what in the Genos.)

Yamaha has used (roughly) this architecture in every high-end Motif/Montage synth and every Tyros.

Of course, we're all welcome to design our own synthesizers.  :)  I'm just holding back my own speculation on what's inside Genos until I can see the Genos service manual.

Hope this helps our discussion -- pj

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
It's hard to tell... but it just might that Pink Floyd could be a problem too!

;D

Joe H
i will let are freind who worked nights in the old rover factory deal with this one ..lol ;)

Offline pjd

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Closer for Bachus still missing drawmer 1973

Nice studio, Tommy! If I posted a picture of my room, you wouldn't see the keyboards for all of the paper laying around.  :D

-- pj

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »
Nice studio, Tommy! If I posted a picture of my room, you wouldn't see the keyboards for all of the paper laying around.  :D

-- pj
Are yes but you are our very own Einstein of technology that's what all that paper is telling me... or is it the tax returns  ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:58:31 PM by Tommy 73 »

Offline pjd

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
Are yes but you are Einstein of technology that's what all that paper is telling me... or is it the tax returns  ;)

Music -- lines and dots! I've never been able to memorize very well. My teacher was always sad.  :'(

Have a good weekend, everyone -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2017, 11:11:19 PM »
i will let are freind who worked nights in the old rover factory deal with this one ..lol ;)

"THE TROUBLE IS THE HUMANS" :o

Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »

"THE TROUBLE IS THE HUMANS" :o

Hasn't it ALWAYS been that way?

???

Joe H

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2017, 04:56:05 AM »
Using USB sticks would be like taking a step backwards. The one thing I miss on my 970 is a hard drive.
I don't use the 500 GB disk of the Tyros at all, except for the stuff that is put there by expension packs. All of my songs, recordings, registrations etc. are stored on a tiny 64 GB USB drive, which only protrudes 2-3 mm when inserted in the Tyros, so it can even stay in there when the Tyros is put in the case. I prefer this because I do a lot of copying, editing, renaming etc of registrations and the USB file interface (to the PC) of the T5 is very slow, the USB thumbdrive outperforms it easily 6-7 times. I also hate that the T5 needs to be rebooted to be in the USB file mode. You can copy over USB midi with the Yamaha tooling, without needing to reboot, but that is even slower.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2017, 05:19:36 AM »

The stated 58 GB "SSD" size is strange: usually SSD sizes come as powers of two. So the logical size would be 64 GB.

it’s almost certainly a 64Gb drive, with 6gb reserved for the system (presets, user memory, expansion packs, etc). A lot like the way most tablets are organized.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Kari V

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
it’s almost certainly a 64Gb drive, with 6gb reserved for the system (presets, user memory, expansion packs, etc). A lot like the way most tablets are organized.

Fred

Yes, I thought about that, too, but initially 6 GB looked too big to me for that purpose. Expansion packs should be in the 58 GB and the user samples are stored in the stated 1.8 GB reserved for that in the sample flash memory.

If the OS is Linux based like many embedded systems, then the figure looks about right, for instance Ubuntu requires 5 GB, and the Netbook Edition requires 4 GB, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:36:11 AM by Kari V »

Kari V

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

I've crawled through the schematics of the Montage and and the Yamaha patents covering the memory interface, etc. for the tone generator. http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-hardware-platform/ and http://sandsoftwaresound.net/swp70-tone-generator/

So, yeah, I'm already familiar with ONFI.   :D

Don't worry, I have read your blogs already a long time ago and I have even referred to those here on this forum  :)

The part referring to ONFI was just pointing out that someone who provided that information to Misu seemed to have some deep technical information about the Genos flash memory interface.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:13:28 AM by Kari V »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »
16 velocity levels..
Can only be done if the main sound cosist out of 16 elements
That means that it actually consist out of 2 or more awm2 voices (which has 8 elemenst and so a max of 8 velocity levels)

Hi Bachus,

it seems, that Yamaha usually uses one element per velocity layers. We have done some Tyros legacy voices inspection, showing that the internal samples are usually of type "piano-soft", "piano-med", "piano-hard", and then using three elements with velocity switching we get velocity layers.

However, using YEM it is possible to use many velocity layers within one voice element. We had some user made voices here, that used up to eleven velocity layers for a grand piano, using only one voice element.

So 16 velocity layers are already possible with our T5 or PSR keyboards. So it's not a technical issue, but a question of effort and wave memory.

And, speaking of drum voices, there is only one voice element in drum voices. And here we can place as many velocity layers as we want (max 127).

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
I hope Yem is replaced by banks and Individual loading
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline metcam

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

I hope so too,,hope so too...

Regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

The following users thanked this post: ugawoga

Offline pjd

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
Don't worry, I have read your blogs already a long time ago and I have even referred to those here on this forum  :)

The part referring to ONFI was just pointing out that someone who provided that information to Misu seemed to have some deep technical information about the Genos flash memory interface.

Hi Kari --

The hazards of trying to converse on a forum! I wish we were chatting over coffee in a shop somewhere. Much more cordial than typing, typing, typing.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »

We've already been told a new version of YEM is in the works.  Probably to support whatever is new in Genos, but I hope improvements for all instruments supported.

Joe H

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »
Hi Kari --

The hazards of trying to converse on a forum! I wish we were chatting over coffee in a shop somewhere. Much more cordial than typing, typing, typing.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments -- pj
i couldn't agree more :)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
Coffee anyone?

If this globe wasn't so big, we could have anuall coffee and beer meetings.

Too bad one of those 80 wealthiest people on the world who own half of everything there is isn't into arranger keyboards.  Because thay could finance such a gathering with their "pocket change".

;D
Joe H

Offline AlBags

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
Hay Joe.. ..

Hi ... What's the history on that print? Never seen before!

Thx!  Al (UK)
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!