Author Topic: Volume Level Drops In Style All OF A Sudden  (Read 9523 times)

Reg

Volume Level Drops In Style All OF A Sudden
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
  Just when I was becoming confident with the operation of my Genos, another problem
appears.  Today I was using a  preset style and suddenly the volume dropped to almost a whisper.  Master volume was set at midway point.  I switched to another style- same thing.   I had to turn off the Genos and reboot.  Last week  I had a note sustain at the end of a style and the only way ti stop it was to shut down the Genos.  I hope someone has a possible explanation.  Not a happy camper.  Reg.

Offline StuartR

Re: Volume Level Drops In Style All OF A Sudden
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »
  Just when I was becoming confident with the operation of my Genos, another problem
appears.  Today I was using a  preset style and suddenly the volume dropped to almost a whisper.  Master volume was set at midway point.  I switched to another style- same thing.   I had to turn off the Genos and reboot.  Last week  I had a note sustain at the end of a style and the only way ti stop it was to shut down the Genos.  I hope someone has a possible explanation.  Not a happy camper.  Reg.

I've encountered the minimal volume issue myself on one occasion. Just went in and raised the voice levels back up. Never figured out what caused it. Hasn't happened again yet.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
Are you using registrations when this happens. Have you checked the volume of those. Do you have the style Dynamics on or off.

keynote

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
This should not happen so obviously we're dealing with another bug/flaw or kink that needs to be ironed out. Keep em' coming folks. The more details we provide the easier it is for Yamaha to get to the root of the problem and find solutions to this and other anomalies that people are experiencing with their Genos. The Genos is a great keyboard and in some ways ahead of its time but since Yamaha switched to a new Linux operating system their software engineers are still in the process of learning the ropes I think and we as end users are basically beta testers that helps Yamaha in the grand scheme of things. So look at it as a win/win situation.  :) That is if they actually fix the problem(s).  ;)

Mike 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:10:31 PM by keynote »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »
This should not happen so obviously we're dealing with another bug/flaw or kink that needs to be ironed out. Keep em' coming folks. The more details we provide the easier it is for Yamaha to get to the root of the problem and find solutions to this and other anomalies that people are experiencing with their Genos. The Genos is a great keyboard and in some ways ahead of its time but since Yamaha switched to a new Linux operating system their software engineers are still in the process of learning the ropes I think and we as end users are basically beta testers that helps Yamaha in the grand scheme of things. So look at it as a win/win situation.  :) That is if they actually fix the problem(s).  ;)

Mike

A couple of weeks ago, I've posted a big error, which of course, I've sent it to Yamaha, too. The answer from Yamaha was to simply reinstall the firmware... I don't know to tell you why the first time of firmware installation have not been good, and the second time will be ok... is the same firmware, is not other ???

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline JohnH

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
Are you using registrations when this happens. Have you checked the volume of those. Do you have the style Dynamics on or off.
  Eileen-----WHERE do we go to style dynamics on/off ??--EXPLAIN---------THANKS---JohnH

Offline StuartR

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I've posted a big error, which of course, I've sent it to Yamaha, too. The answer from Yamaha was to simply reinstall the firmware... I don't know to tell you why the first time of firmware installation have not been good, and the second time will be ok... is the same firmware, is not other ???

Really? That's an ill advised reply from Yamaha, IMHO. Perhaps they meant to imply you hadn't installed the latest firmware? I would have pushed back and asked to speak to a supervisor

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
  Eileen-----WHERE do we go to style dynamics on/off ??--EXPLAIN---------THANKS---JohnH

JohnH, you need Menu2 and touch Style setting. Dynamics Control is the first line.

JohnW (not Eileen)

Offline AlBags

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »

Hi ..
Not sure I'm going to get used to this Style dynamics setting .. Basically when you play hard (LH and RH)  you will get what can be a large increase in volume. Maybe only suitable for some types of styles/sounds, and I havent found yet!
In the interim, I leave mine off! (Menu2/Style Setting/Setting/Dynamics control/OFF

That's prob whats causing you concern (unless you have a dodgy vol pedal!)
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
Part of the beauty of all Yamaha keyboards is that you can set them up as you want them to be.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:22:18 AM »
Hi ..
Not sure I'm going to get used to this Style dynamics setting .. Basically when you play hard (LH and RH)  you will get what can be a large increase in volume. Maybe only suitable for some types of styles/sounds, and I havent found yet!
In the interim, I leave mine off! (Menu2/Style Setting/Setting/Dynamics control/OFF

If you set it to the Wide setting that is what you can get if your attention lapses! But you can still set it to lower values without turning it off completely. I'd suggest starting at a lower level and hopefully your playing will automatically acclimitise to it, and maybe you can even move up a notch.
If you discount it too soon you lose the opportunity of ever giving it a fair evaluation.
John

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 03:43:23 AM »
I remember some years ago my Tyros was silent, I just couldn’t understand why this should be and after checking loads of sets of registrations and playing around with it for 1/2 hour noticed that my new volume pedal was right up.
Graham
Graham Foxall

Current Yamaha GENOS + GNS MS01
with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Reg

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 07:47:20 AM »
    Thanks  to those who replied.   In response, the Style Dynamics  option was turned off at the time of the problem.  Also I had been using a Bonus Playlist registration and style that I cannot recall the name  of now.  This was the second time.  Sometime earlier it happend also.  If it occurs again I will note the location although I believe it could happen anywhere.   The volume peddle was not an issue.  Thanks. Reg

Offline BartW

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
Reg,

I have the EXACT SAME issue happen to me today. Playing a preset style on D variation. All of the sudden, style volume goes from 100 to 59 WHILE I was playing and not messing with anything else. The dynamic style was OFF. So yeah, it is a bug. Fortunately, I am a play at home guy so not big deal but if this happened to me at a gig, it would be really startling and embarrassing. I hope that this is a software bug vs. a hardware issue.

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Reg

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »
  Thank you Bart.  Sounds too coincendental  to be something other than a bug. It could create a problem in a  live performance.   I will be contacting Yamaha to add this one to the list.  Reg

The following users thanked this post: StuartR, AlBags

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
Reg,

I have the EXACT SAME issue happen to me today. Playing a preset style on D variation. All of the sudden, style volume goes from 100 to 59 WHILE I was playing and not messing with anything else. The dynamic style was OFF. So yeah, it is a bug. Fortunately, I am a play at home guy so not big deal but if this happened to me at a gig, it would be really startling and embarrassing. I hope that this is a software bug vs. a hardware issue.

On Tyros in the first months after launch some people were finding individual part volumes or other properties were suddenly jumping to other values. This was related to how the sliders work. When you first move them or brush with a hand inadvertently the values can jump significantly. Most people will realise this but there were cases where values occasionally would jump up or down without any touching as if the sliders were too sensitive in some positions. I had this happen many times but after firmware updates the problem fizzled out and I never saw it again.
I only mention this so if anyone else finds a similar occurrence on Genos maybe they can bear this possible cause  in mind and if it does appear to be slider jump (unassisted by human hand!) report it to Yamaha.

John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:22:06 PM by jwyvern »

Offline BartW

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »
On Tyros in the first months after launch some people were finding individual part volumes or other properties were suddenly jumping to other values. This was related to how the sliders work. When you first move them or brush with a hand inadvertently the values can jump significantly. Most people will realise this but there were cases where values occasionally would jump up or down without any touching as if the sliders were too sensitive in some positions. I had this happen many times but after firmware updates the problem fizzled out and I never saw it again.
I only mention this so if anyone else finds a similar occurrence on Genos maybe they can bear this possible cause  in mind and if it does appear to be slider jump (unassisted by human hand!) report it to Yamaha.
 John

Great point and I can see this happening. If the hysteresis on the sliders is not set appropriately or not set at all, there can be a situation where a minute movement of the slider (e.g. caused by vibration from playing "enthusiastically") can make the system "think"  that the slider moved and if there is no hysteresis the value can jump to a high value. Fortunately if this is the case, this is easily correctable with software.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 04:34:25 AM »
Great point and I can see this happening. If the hysteresis on the sliders is not set appropriately or not set at all, there can be a situation where a minute movement of the slider (e.g. caused by vibration from playing "enthusiastically") can make the system "think"  that the slider moved and if there is no hysteresis the value can jump to a high value. Fortunately if this is the case, this is easily correctable with software.

Perhaps it's a good idea to leave all the sliders at midpoint so if there is movement, you won't get a radical change.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 03:13:21 PM »
Perhaps it's a good idea to leave all the sliders at midpoint so if there is movement, you won't get a radical change.

Yes, that can be a choice, but if you gig and (as it is normally) you change a lot of registrations with different values on channels volumes, the middle position of sliders is not a good idea and I don't see how you can have for each song you play (quickly) a middle position :)
As an addition to your workaround, I find more useful a "Slider sensitivity" parameter, which could setup the movement which OS will consider as a user interaction, not by environment occurrence ...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
It's the Dynamics control as previously said.
It allows soft and louder expression which can be useful to play with feeling .
I am experimenting with It  at the moment
Switch dynamic control off and everything stays at the same level.
It's not old bug bug!! ;D

There is a lot of nuances to explore. like frequency ranges of how instruments sound which can be adjusted.
The arpeggios are great for filling out songs, but that could be intregrated in a style.
Lots of delving to do.
In a couple of months i will put some music up, but I am still learning the Genos and Cubase.

ATB
John
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:27:39 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline BartW

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
It's the Dynamics control as previously said.
John

If you took the time to read our posts carefully, you would have read that the Dynamics Control was OFF in both cases.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 01:42:59 AM »
Hi Bart
well , that should not happen  then
I have not had the volume drop problem yet
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox