Author Topic: Unique Way Of Creating A Song Bank Registration  (Read 8260 times)

gerarde

Unique Way Of Creating A Song Bank Registration
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
Typically, when you create a registration and making it one registration bank per song You put the style in BUTTON 1, and then save voices to use with that song in BUTTONS 2 - 10.
That can be time consuming.
I came from  PSR S970 to Genos and could not load my registrations from the S970 to the Genos.
I needed to come up with an easy way to do it since I had about 350 song registrations to create.

This is what I did.
I figured out what voices I mostly used for each genre, Country, Rock, Big Band etc.
I then created a registration, storing say Country voices into buttons 2-10.
When I saved these voices, I only saved the VOICE, FOOT PEDALS, VOCAL, etc., and not a style.
When I saved that bank, I named it 1.
The next VOICE bank, I named it 2. And so on.
When I create a new registration for a song, I first call up the appropriate bank of VOICES, 1,2,3,4 etc.
These are all at the beginning of my stored banks, so it is eazy to find them.

So, I want to create a registration for a country song and the voices I need are in registration bank 2.
I load registration bank 2, then I select the style for that song.
I make whatever changes I need, INTRO, VARIATION, TRANSPOSE, strting voice etc.
Then I save the registration bank, this time including STYLE, and then I save it in BUTTON 1, and I name the registration bank the name of the song.
When I load that registration, I can switch to any of the other 9 voices that I want, because the style is only saved in BUTTON 1.
You can create as many VOICE banks, as I call them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,etc. as you need for the different types of genres that you play.
So, think of banks 1,2,3,4, etc. as voice templates.

I hope this all makes sense and that some of you might be able to use this.
It has saved me hours and hours from having to load voices one at a time for each and every song registration I would need.

Gerard

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline pjd

Re: Unique Way Of Creating A Song Bank Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:50:46 AM »
Nice work, Gerard!

I migrated from S950 to Genos and just completed the first pass through all of the registrations. My registrations are organized one song per button, using customized OTS/styles to access variation voices. I got started by converting the old S950 registrations to T5 using Yamaha Registration Manager, then imported the T5 banks. Each converted button needed 5 or 6 manual touch-ups, but once I was familiar with the new user interface, my fingers flew.

All of my registrations, styles, WAV files, etc. are stored on the internal drive (C:). I'm copying them out to USB as a form of manual back-up. If I organize styles and WAV files using the same directory structure as the internal drive, then it should just be a matter of changing the drive letter to make them work on USB, too. Right now, this is not high priority. Time for fun.

The next pass is to play through everything and maybe select new voices. With everything playable, the second pass can be leisurely. :)

Thanks for sharing your method! A systematic approach can really get things up and running quickly!

-- pj

gerarde

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:38 AM »
PJ,
I use a lot of song based styles, so I get intros, endings, and variations for that song.
I changed the drums on almost all of them to use REVO drums, and in many cases, I changes the BASS to a new Genos bass, and even some of the background voices as well.
Boy, they sound so much better.

Gerard

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:27 AM »
Gerard,

Great system! I’m glad I found your post, moving forward it should make life easier with new registrations.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Tonyo1000

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Hi Gerard,
A little background on me first to help readers put my questions into perspective.  I recently joined the Yamaha keyboard family with the purchase of Genos.  I have no prior Yamaha experience.  I have been a long time Korg guy.  Nothing against Korg but simply fell in love with Genos’ voices and styles.    Am currently going through the typical learning curve of a new owner attempting to translate the operation of my Korg PA4X arranger to the Genos.   Most of the concepts are transferrable except the “registrations” function (still trying to wrap my head around that).   Of course have been reaching out to the Owners manual, Reference manual, YouTube, and user sites.   Then found this great Forum!

I really appreciate your post because it has helped me to get closer to understanding the application of Genos registrations.  However, I’m still not there. 

My need is to make changes to Present Styles (e.g. voices, tempo) and call them up during live performance.   My current process is to save a Preset Style as a new User Style and making changes.  But if I’m understanding your approach, the preferred method is to make changes to the Preset Style and save them as a registration (song)?   Then, I believe, the registration (song) can be added to the Playlist for recall during live performance?

Now for the newbie part.   
1.   I made several assumptions in the above paragraph.  Please feel free to critique or make corrections.
2.   Can you provide the steps on how you take a Preset Style, make changes and turn it into a Registration file (song)?  I can't seem to find that process  the manuals. 

Many Thanks,
Tony
Tony O.
Singer, Keyboard Player, One Man Band
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 10:01:08 PM »
Tony,

Regarding #2, it can’t be done. You need to create a user style, then store that style in your registration.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Tonyo1000

Offline Tonyo1000

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:55 AM »
Fred,
Thanks for the response.  I'm going to take a look at your Registrations Lessons and maybe circle back around.
Tony O.
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's

Offline jerryghr

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 03:35:33 AM »
Gerard,

Instead of calling the voice banks 1,2,3,4..................... take the guess work out and call them 1Country, 2Rock, 3Latin etc.

Regards,

Jerryghr 

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:54 AM »
Hello friends. Can this be done on the S970 as well, or are the to systems too different?  It is a great idea! So many creative people on this forum. 
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

gerarde

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:16 AM »
Hi Toril,
I had a S970 and created my registrations the same way.

Gerard

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »
Thankds Gerard :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
Most of the concepts are transferrable except the “registrations” function (still trying to wrap my head around that).

Hi Tony and welcome!

It might be helpful to think of Registrations as a snapshot of how you have everything set. A registration has no content like a style, a voice etc. It's simply a snapshot of how everything on the keyboard is set at that moment when you save it. (You can also tell it which settings to ignore in the process.)

If you want a custom style you go make that and save it. Same with a custom voice. Then when you have that custom voice selected, that custom style selected, the tempo set, the effect levels, etc. you take a snapshot of that with a registration. The you can instantly recall the way you have that all set up with the touch of one button ready for the song.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

The following users thanked this post: Tonyo1000

Offline Tonyo1000

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 01:47:44 AM »
Thank you. That explanation helps.
I think i have it figured out now.
Tony O.
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's