Author Topic: assignable buttons in Genos  (Read 9917 times)

Ben22

assignable buttons in Genos
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
Hi,
Having trouble saving a change. I'm trying to make button "F" Harmony/Echo. Select this and accepts.If I change registration and press"F" it defaults back to nothing assigned.
Any help appreciated. Also tried other buttons and same thing happens. Seems like you need to "Save" change somewhere, but I don't see save function.Do I need to do a system reset?
Thanks, Ben.

Offline jsb1999

Re: assignable buttons in Genos
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »
Assignable button assignment can be saved in a registration, or not, depending on whether you have the box checked in the Registration Memory screen.
It sounds like you don't want to override your settings, so you don't want to save them in your registrations.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:36:16 AM »
Assignable button assignment can be saved in a registration, or not, depending on whether you have the box checked in the Registration Memory screen.
It sounds like you don't want to override your settings, so you don't want to save them in your registrations.

You need to re-memorize your registrations with the Assugnable Button unchecked.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Ben22

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
Thanks to Fred and jsb1999. Now got it working. Didn't realize you had to save to registration. Thought you could have assign button programmed as a default setting until you change it. Buttons A to G seem to be set as default whether you save to registration or not. They were there from new without saving. That's why I thought I could do the same to "F".

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
Didn't realize you had to save to registration. Thought you could have assign button programmed as a default setting until you change it. Buttons A to G seem to be set as default whether you save to registration or not. They were there from new without saving. That's why I thought I could do the same to "F".
Ben,
No, you don't "have" to save to a registration.  In fact if you always want to preserve your manual settings do "not" save assignments to registrations, ie. ensure the assignment box is unchecked. Because you have already made registrations with assignments included you need to remove the latter from them so they don't interfere in future, hence Fred's recommendation to re-memorise with assignment unchecked.
The complication has arisen because when you receive the keyboard all registration memorise categories are checked by default including the assignable box meaning that any registration made by unwary owners has the potential for undoing any later manual changes made to assignments (and incidentally, other features too).
John
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:26:07 PM by jwyvern »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:58 AM »
Ben,
No, you don't "have" to save to a registration.  In fact if you always want to preserve your manual settings do "not" save assignments to registrations, ie. ensure the assignment box is unchecked. Because you have already made [/i]registrations with assignments included you need to remove the latter from them so they don't interfere in future, hence Fred's recommendation to re-memorise with assignment unchecked.
The complication has arisen because when you receive the keyboard all registration memorise categories are checked by default including the assignable box meaning that any registration made by unwary owners has the potential for undoing any later manual changes made to assignments (and incidentally, other features too).
John

THANKS, now I finally understand why I have had problems. But why does Genos quasi force us to use registrations. As a fact on earlier models I used registration banks just for  having certain styles and voices ready for  something I played often to  be able to play  a  tune in the right tempo, key and with the right styles.  Genos styles are (rightly so) not tune-specific, but that does not mean every  BB tune sounds ok with every BB style,  which is why I have dozens of styles converted to YAMAHA STY files from other keyboards because they happened to have the perfect style for a certain tune. I dearly miss the search engine of long ago Technics models where you could input  "in the.." and it would find the registration for "In the Mood" out of hundreds in less than one second.  I read Genos  was supposed to be better in this respect than Tyros but can someone PLEASE explain how this works. Furthermore I am  unwilling to use a list where Genos automatically plays the next midi file as I play the melody myself and need a few moment to recollect how that tune goes and a gig is not a juke box like situation. I never play a pre-programmed set of tunes,  I always ask the dancers, "what do you want me to play next ?"

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
So far I’ve only tried a few assign buttons.  Most of them work, without saving to registration.  So the assigned buttons will stay until you change it to something else.  One exception is the fade in/out button.  I need to save this to registration, otherwise it’ll be gone after powering the keyboard off.  Strange!!!!!