Author Topic: T5 to Genos  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Kytrinh

T5 to Genos
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Greetings All..
For those that have both T5 and Genos or have upgraded, through speakers or FOH PA, is the sound significantly different and worth the upgrade?
Im faced with a good deal on a used T5 or perhaps stretch further (doubled in price) for the Genos.
I just really want to focus on the new sound engine and want to know whether to opt for the Genos.
Thanks Folks!
Ky
Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30

Offline Will49

Re: T5 to Genos
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »
..is the sound significantly different and worth the upgrade? Im faced with a good deal on a used T5 or perhaps stretch further (doubled in price) for the Genos.
Hi Ky, I guess you will have many answers to this one, and will be even more baffled than you were before you asked the question! Some will say that Genos' sounds are a sigificant improvement over the T5, others have been honest enough (against formidable opposition on here) to say otherwise. Even if someone gave you a T5 and a Genos to try for a week or two, and you felt that the latter sounded better... would it be "significantly" better, or more to the point, would you consider it to be worth "double in price" of the deal you've been offered on a T5?

I opted for the T5/76 route and am pleased to say that it's an excellent arranger... the best I've had to date! At the end of the day though, it depends entirely on what YOU need from a keyboard, and how much money YOU are comfortable to part with.

Kind regards,
Will
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:22:41 PM by Will49 »

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Thank you Will, yes you are right! It is a very open question and one im sure has been debated on every keyboard forum over every keyboard released. What sounds good in ones ear, may differ in another.. like in your reply, i will reassess  both my needs and finance and determine from there.
Cheers
Ky

Offline Will49

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
Thank you Will
You are very welcome Ky.  :)

Good luck!
Will

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
Greetings All..
For those that have both T5 and Genos or have upgraded, through speakers or FOH PA, is the sound significantly different and worth the upgrade?
Im faced with a good deal on a used T5 or perhaps stretch further (doubled in price) for the Genos.
I just really want to focus on the new sound engine and want to know whether to opt for the Genos.
Thanks Folks!
Ky

Hello Ky.
I think most people will pay tribute to Genos. Because it really is better than Tyros 5 in terms of quality, sound color.
I am using Tyros 5 and Genos simultaneously, so I can be sure of that. However, if you have been using Tyros 5 for a long time and are completely satisfied, completely mastered it on stage, then when you switch to Genos you will encounter a lot of inconvenience and embarrassment when using Genos, you need at least 3 months to master her.
Mai Dinh Thang from Vietnam.

https://scontent.fsgn5-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26233216_1989160237777207_7239636870013236843_o.jpg?oh=eadc57d8339b8f013cdbf2dda362f606&oe=5B26BB8A
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline Will49

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 03:17:37 AM »
I think most people will pay tribute to Genos. Because it really is better than Tyros 5 in terms of quality, sound color.
Hi, I am yet to see and try a Genos, however, as it comes from Yamaha, I have no doubt it has some sounds that are a bit better than their counterpart on T5. But by what margin are they better? And are whatever improvements it has worth double the cost of a used T5 (which is what the original poster quoted)? I think not, to be perfectly honest, but I suppose the answer to that depends on how well-off a person is. For example, if I was a minted, money no object kind of chap, I would probably have paid Yamaha whatever figure they'd care to come up with for a Genos... just so that I could say: "I've got the very latest flagship Yamaha arranger". ;) And if I then happened to discover that some of its sounds were, indeed, better than its predecessor after all, well that would be a little added bonus I suppose! ;D

Kind regards,
Will

gdc

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 04:03:43 AM »
I too went from a T5-76 to the Genos. It does take a few weeks to get used to the different way of doing things and there is a bit of a learning curve involved. I really like the touch screen as it's so fast especially when naming songs. But the biggest difference between the T5 and the Genos is the sound. It really is super clear and there is terrific presence. You can hear the difference easily. Sounds and especially drums are very realistic. I don't regret buying it at all. I wouldn't recommend buying one then doing a gig the next day. That might be a disaster. I've had mine for a month and my first gig is in 2 weeks, so looking forward to that. I feel comfortable with the machine now and am really happy I bought it.
Graeme

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »
Hello Ky.
I am using Tyros 5 and Genos simultaneously, so I can be sure of that.

Xin Chao Anh Thang..
Yes, I agree and it has to sound better as its the new flagship and techonolgy has advanced and you get for what you paid for. Mind you, where i am a new T5 is listed not that much cheaper then Genos. At the moment im still using the T4, when the T5 was released and i listened to a live demo, have no urge to upgrade and told myself I'll wait for the next model up. Few years later Genos arrived, i have a very short limited time to play a few chords on a variety of styles and flick through a few sound and aleady know its night and day difference from my T4..told myself..thats it, locked in on Genos..

Now.. the hiccup up is the great deal on a used T5, its really less than half price of Genos...sigh

Cam on Anh
Ky

Kaarlo von Freymann

switching from T5 to Genos is not a piece of cake
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »

Dear forum members,

Here is one more who has both Tyros 5/6 and Genos.   You might have read tests in HIFI magazines about audio cables supposed to be specific  in direction  (e.g. it is claimed it makes a difference which end you plug into IN  and which into OUT and sure enough there will be people who give feed back they can hear the difference.)   

To me my Genos sounded less good than my Tyros until I realized how much work I had put into tweaking the Tyros, for instance  output equalization and compression.  I started to do the same tweaking on Genos,  and as a fact I got very near to the same sound. But you must realize you cannot achieve this by just inputting the same values, you must FIND which values give the same sound, or a sound better than the one than you have on your Tyros.  I realized I had tweaked all the Preset Styles also, not to mention styles from earlier Tyros models and Technics keyboards.  Especially the drums in the Genos  styles  MUST be tweaked if you want the tranferred  Tyros Style to sound what you want it to sound on Genos.  And here I come to some things I have so far not been able to do on Genos, which, if YAMAHA will not fix them will make me sell the Genos and keep the TYROS 5.

on Tyros styles you can change instruments and their settings separately for Intros, A B C D and Endings. On Genos I have so far found only a global change possibility, e.g. if you change the bass from  Accoustic to Slap,  you have  Slap on
Intros, A B C D and Endings, a  HUGE step backward in sound quality we define "sound quality" as the sound  the user wants. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if it can be done on Genos as easily as on TYROS.

I have followed a dozen  instructions on the internet on how to get TYROS  Registry Banks transferred to Genos. So far nothing has worked and YAMAHA tells me there still is no solution for that problem.   Is YAMAHA wrong ?   PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you have found a way to do that.

On powering on the Pitchbender reverts to  +/- a whole note from the half note I set it to .  PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you have found a way to avoid that reset.  +/- one full note is far too much for wind instruments. 

The screens that can be set to the assignable buttons  are limited, not free. PLEASE LET ME KNOW  whether that really is so. I  am not interested in TEXT AND SCORE but a lot of screens the buttons will not accept.

On my Genos the settings of the sliders will after a few  ON OFF cycles default to something else than what they were set to. The same is true for the knobs. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if that is a general bug or my personal bug. As a test I set all knobs to have no influence on anything in all 3 alternative settings. It did not stay that way for long. 

I know by experience that often users will avoid telling the truth on a forum because they are afraid their dealer might feel insulted and want to  be on good terms with him.  So if you prefer sending me a normal e-mail, please use   v.freymann@welho.com     Thanks. 

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

The following users thanked this post: Kytrinh

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 05:59:31 AM »
Number 1 can be easily done in Genos.
I do it all the time.
Go into style creator, hit menu button again and on the first page go to mixing console.
Change what you want, hit back buton til you back in style creator, under basic change from A to B etc and do it again.
Once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast.
Anything you can do on Tyros you can do on Genos and more.
The work flow might be a little different.
Hope this helps.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »
Have you updated the OS system to 1.10.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »
Number 1 can be easily done in Genos.
I do it all the time.
Go into style creator, hit menu button again and on the first page go to mixing console.
Change what you want, hit back buton til you back in style creator, under basic change from A to B etc and do it again.
Once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast.
Anything you can do on Tyros you can do on Genos and more.
The work flow might be a little different.
Hope this helps.
Eric

Thanks Eric, I am doing my first gig with the Genos this Saturday, I will then immediately dig into your advice and get it done.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Have you updated the OS system to 1.10.

Thanks Eileen, actually not yet. My dealer F-Musik  has promised to do that for me next week. I remember doing that with my Tyros 5 myself a long time ago, and for me (b.1935) it was a little complicated, so I decided to accept their offer.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »
Xin Chao Anh Thang..
Yes, I agree and it has to sound better as its the new flagship and techonolgy has advanced and you get for what you paid for. Mind you, where i am a new T5 is listed not that much cheaper then Genos. At the moment im still using the T4, when the T5 was released and i listened to a live demo, have no urge to upgrade and told myself I'll wait for the next model up. Few years later Genos arrived, i have a very short limited time to play a few chords on a variety of styles and flick through a few sound and aleady know its night and day difference from my T4..told myself..thats it, locked in on Genos..

Now.. the hiccup up is the great deal on a used T5, its really less than half price of Genos...sigh

Cam on Anh
Ky

Hello anh Ky.
Tôi đoán anh là người Việt Nam sống ở hải ngoại?
Như tôi đă viết ở trên, nếu anh đang rất hài ḷng với Tyros 5 khi làm việc th́ anh ko cần thiết bỏ ra số tiền lớn để nâng cấp lên Genos.
Tôi hiện sống ở Việt nam. tôi làm việc trong studio riêng, đồng thời phục vụ âm nhạc cho các tiệc cưới, cho nên nếu chỉ để làm việc th́ Tyros 5 là đă tuyệt vời cho những công việc đó. Tuy nhiên khi đă yêu thích và chọn đây làm nghề mưu sinh th́ tôi sẽ phải chạy theo công nghệ, phải nâng cấp cho phù hợp với thời cuộc. Tôi có thể tiếp tục làm việc với Tyros 5 và chờ Genos 2 để nhận được sự hoàn hảo và khác biệt lớn hơn.. Nhưng quan điểm của tôi là sống không chờ đợi.

Bên cạnh đó, tôi cũng cần có Genos để sản xuất các gói âm thanh, các style để cung cấp cho cộng đồng người Việt đang sử dụng Genos ở hải ngoại. Bởi v́ trước đó tôi đă làm với Tyros 4-5 và được rất nhiều người Việt ở hải ngoại sử dụng.

Theo tôi, nếu tiền bạc là một vấn đề lớn th́ anh Ky nên tiếp tục sử dụng Tyros 5 và chờ đợi Genos 2. Bởi v́ Tyros 5 vẫn đang rất tuyệt. C̣n nếu anh là người quan tâm đến chất lượng âm thanh, sự khác biệt về âm thanh khi tŕnh diễn trên sân khấu th́ tôi chắc rằng anh sẽ không hề thất vọng với Genos.
Nếu anh có thời gian, hăy xem qua một vài video demo của tôi về Tyros 5 và Genos ở kênh Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlxXim_D16VRHvdvgCdBVw?view_as=subscriber

Hy vọng có dịp trao đổi tṛ chuyện riêng với anh nhiều hơn về Tyros 5 và Genos.
facebook của tôi. https://www.facebook.com/mdthangsnicker

Thân chào!
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: Kytrinh

Offline Fred Smith

Re: switching from T5 to Genos is not a piece of cake
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

I have followed a dozen  instructions on the internet on how to get TYROS  Registry Banks transferred to Genos. So far nothing has worked and YAMAHA tells me there still is no solution for that problem.   Is YAMAHA wrong ?   PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you have found a way to do that.

Simply copy your T5 registrations to a USB stick. Insert that stick in the Genos. The Genos will load them just fine. I had all my registrations working within 15 minutes of getting my Genos.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »
Greetings All..
Thanks Folks!
Ky

Ky
I have both T5 and Genos.  To answer your questions, i would not get into comparing these two keyboards.    If money is tight go for T5.   If you have the money go for Genos.

My thinking is that Genos is better in sound. Not sure it would justify twice as much in price (you mentioned that ratio).    If you have the money go for Genos, simply because it is a newer model.  However, if money is tight, i would go for T5 because it is an excellent acquisition based on quality/price ratio.   (not so say that Genos is not an excellent acquisition too, it is just based on how much money you have or want to spend).

Hope this helps.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Ky
I have both T5 and Genos.  To answer your questions, i would not get into comparing these two keyboards.    If money is tight go for T5.   If you have the money go for Genos.

My thinking is that Genos is better in sound. Not sure it would justify twice as much in price (you mentioned that ratio).    If you have the money go for Genos, simply because it is a newer model.  However, if money is tight, i would go for T5 because it is an excellent acquisition based on quality/price ratio.   (not so say that Genos is not an excellent acquisition too, it is just based on how much money you have or want to spend).

Hope this helps.

thanks

Thanks for the heads up Al Ram..
you are dead on, i shouldnt really ask the question as without a doubt Genos is the latest and greatest that Yamaha has to offer at the moment,
However at half the cost, the almost near new T5 is too hard to pass through considering the price of a new one is only slightly cheaper than the mighty G here in Australia. Neverless we do live in great times to be able to have these choices, and i do envy all you Generation Genos's..😃

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
Simply copy your T5 registrations to a USB stick. Insert that stick in the Genos. The Genos will load them just fine. I had all my registrations working within 15 minutes of getting my Genos.

Fred

Thanks Fred,  my Genos then must be defective.  It cannot read the USB stick and there are no registrations  being copied.  (Styles and Midi files are being copied )

Hopefully things get better with the next upgrade.

Kind regards   Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
Thanks Fred,  my Genos then must be defective.  It cannot read the USB stick and there are no registrations  being copied.  (Styles and Midi files are being copied )

Hopefully things get better with the next upgrade.

Kind regards   Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

Then use another USB stick. They're cheap. Or check it on your computer. If your computer can read it, your Genos can read it.

My bet is it's not your Genos, and an OS update won't change anything.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »
Are you pressing Regist first which it at the top of the screen on left before looking on the USB for your registrations.

Offline bluali

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 01:21:12 AM »
Greetings All..
For those that have both T5 and Genos or have upgraded,.... want to know whether to opt for the Genos.
Thanks Folks!
Ky
to my exprience (but I miay be wrong) , it does not worth if you have to pay more than $800 for upgrading. I have compared both and I could not find that much difference on the sounds. I shared a video I took from both T5 and Genos. you can find it over here:    http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42970.0.html
Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
Are you pressing Regist first which it at the top of the screen on left before looking on the USB for your registrations.

Hi Eileen,
First of all let me say besides Heidrun Dolde  I know of no lady having your expertise and helpfulness in technical matters concerning keyboards like you have. THANKS.
The importers sales manager for YAMAHA keyboards was here . (F-Musiikki  treats me  outstandingly well maybe partly because  I am their oldest living client, I bought my first keyboard, The Hammond Piper from them in 1968 half a century ago and my father bought his Steinway grand from them a century ago) 

It seems we found some points to keep in mind as to the transfer of register banks from Tyros to Genos. In case the styles used and the reg bank are on the Tyros user drive everything works out like many people here have stated  here correctly.  My problem is due to the fact that I had so many styles that they did not fit into the small user drive on the Tyros so ALL the styles I used were copied to  partition 1 of the HD. Now as there is no "partition 1 of HD"  equivalent on Genos, the transferred user registrations calls up addresses that are not there. 
We copied a reg bank and the styles used on them  from HD 1 to USER and then  we could transfer that to Genos and it worked. But as the User is so small  there is no way to copy all styles from HD 1 to it, so what we found out did not help very much.  As there has been some post by me that people felt were unfriendly, let me say  sorry, I did not mean to be rude to anyone. The situation seems to be:  for those who did not make partitions on their HD and had everything on the Tyros User, there should be no problem. For those who had to make the arrangements I had to do with hundreds of styles gathered over 20 years - Technics had some unique ones you could make YAMAHA usable - there seems to be a problem. And it seems obvious he problem is not a bug but due to hardware differences, so it seems it  cannot  EASILY be corrected in a Genos update. Your comments are most highly appreciated
Kind regards from cold, snowy sunny Helsinki

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:27 AM »
Hello Kaarlo,
  Thank you for your very kind words. On my Tyros 5 I never partitioned the hard drive. I made folders up and then folders inside them which contain hundreds of styles including the Tecnics ones that I helped convert many years ago. I named the folder Styles.  Because these styles could be moved about when adding new ones and maybe deleting some I did not really have use for I did not link my registration sets to those because I knew they might now work latter with the registrations I had made. What I did was to work out what styles I would use for a certain set list and save all the styles into a folder I created called Set List one on the hard drive. I then chose a style from this folder and made up my registration bank from this.  I then saved the registration into this folder. I continued like this until my set list was complete.
  Doing it this way meant I was able to back up my Tyros 5 hard drive to my computer. I then got a 64Gb USB stick and formatted in on Genos then I copied all the files from my Back Up onto the USB and when inserted into Genos all my links were there.
  The user section on Genos is not small it is around 56Gb and takes the place of a Hard Drive and will hold all that was on my Tyros 5 which was a lot.
   Tyros 5 User section was very small and I never stored anything on there apart from User Voices and Multi pads but I always kept a back up of them on my Hard Drive. This way I was able to transfer them to Genos.
   I hope you get things sorted out OK. If I can be of any help please ask.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:03:45 AM »
Hello Kaarlo,
  .........Doing it this way meant I was able to back up my Tyros 5 hard drive to my computer. I then got a 64Gb USB stick and formatted in on Genos then I copied all the files from my Back Up onto the USB and when inserted into Genos all my links were there.

Tyros 5 User section was very small and I never stored anything on there apart from User Voices and Multi pads but I always kept a back up of them on my Hard Drive. This way I was able to transfer them to Genos.
   I hope you get things sorted out OK. If I can be of any help please ask.

Hello Eileen,
Knowing beforehand what the consequences of what you do will be,  is what makes all the difference.   ;) I did not realize there was a draw back in splitting the HD into 4  partitions and as a fact it served me well through all the TYROS models until now. I am glad it finally got sorted out why some people have had success in transferring reg.files and some others like me not

Something else:
Now as you wrote you have worked on converting Technics styles to work on Yamaha keyboards (something I also did)  I am tempted to bother you with one particular style that has become corrupted and the original is lost.  You might have that style, it is very easily recognizable.  Would you be willing to listen to an MP3 file and see if you have that style ?  I see no icon to mail a MP3 file on this site. Would you mind listening to a file sent by ordinary e-mail, in which case I would need your normal e-mail address.  If you could sent it to my normal e-mail  v.freymann@welho.com I would mail you the MP3.  You see writing "If I can be of any help please ask." means people WILL ask!

Cheers 

Kaarlo