Author Topic: Ordered Genos...getting cold feet  (Read 6386 times)

Offline guitpic1

Ordered Genos...getting cold feet
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »
I’ve got a Genos on the way...I’m comfortable that it’s worth the $$$. 

What I’m struggling with is spending that much $$$ on my hobby..even though I think I’ll really like the keyboard.  🤔

I used to gig 4 - 6 times a month...seniors...don’t know if I’ll do that anymore and that paid for my instruments.

This will be my 6th Yamaha arranger that I’ve owned includinga Tyros4 and PSR’s.  I still have my S970 which I might sell if I keep the Genos...I’ve got some time to try it out.  I like my S970 but am not in love with the keybed.

I’ve also got a PA4X...great keyboard as well but a much different animal than my Yamaha’s that I’ve had.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.

By the way, one of the best things about these arrangers is this community.  👍👍👍

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:08:13 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Re: Ordered Genos...getting cold feet
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
Hi Guitpic1,

I certain amount of "buyer's remorse" is normal, especially if you're like me, who has a loved one who sometimes says, "What did you need to buy that for?" or "Why do you need another keyboard? What's wrong with the one you have? It sounds great to me!" When making larger purchases, I have always asked, "Will this purchase compromise my ability to:"

• Meet my family's money obligations?
  • Provide a decent home and education for my kids?
  • Put a few bucks away for my retirement?

If the answer is "No" in all three cases, I buy it. Reason: life is too **** short! I know the Genos has had some growing pains and often fails to meet expectations, but I still believe it's a great keyboard, and hopefully all the hurdles will be knocked down soon by Yamaha. I'll know in the next month when Canada FINALLY gets some. Just my two cents worth :).

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
Guitpic1,   You're gonna love it! Just enjoy and don't look back.  You know I'm in the same boat with you, Genos, Pa4x and s970. You only go around once in life.  I know I'm going to sell the s970 come this March when we are back home.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »

I’ve got a Genos on the way...I’m comfortable that it’s worth the $$$.  .......
....By the way, one of the best things about these arrangers is this community.  👍👍👍

I’ve got a Genos on the way as well, but I’m not comfortable that it’s worth the huge amount of $$$ regardless of a fairly good deal..
If the ♪♫♯♪♫♪ slow boat from Cina ♪♫♯♪♫♪ don't show up within reasonable time, I probably get enough time to get back to common senses and cancel the order.

Yeah, you're right, this is a great community .... even if some moderartors now and then has been too fast at the delete button. ;)

EDIT:
Just got confirmed that Genos, speakers and some "in pack stuff" is ready to ship from tmy dealer, and will be on the way tomorrow.
Well, guess it's going to be a exciting weekend.  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:01:46 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline maartenb

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
What I’m struggling with is spending that much $$$ on my hobby..
How much hours of fun do you expect to have with the instrument?

(Cost of Genos - sale of other keyboard) / hours of fun = $$ per hour

Is it still "much"?

Maarten

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:17:06 PM »
Hi --

I've always got an eye on my wallet.  :)

Usually, I tend to hang onto cars and keyboards for 5 to 10 years, especially when they are reliable and fit my needs. When a car or keyboard is 10+ years old, it's time to update/upgrade. Junk failing like water pumps, struts, front panel buttons, keys, etc. often hasten the decision.

Even though I bought Genos, I'll keep using the MOX on a weekly basis. The S950 should see some occasional work, too.

I don't jump at the newest and latest. That's why I totally respect folks who love and decide to stay with their T4, T5, S910, whatever. I'm thoroughly enjoying Genos. While getting my pop songs and registrations in order, I often run across a situation where "Darn, that old S950 voice sounds just fine in this context."

Genos is a musical instrument that I want to learn and master inside and out. A "buy and hold" strategy is consistent with this goal.

Just my personal approach -- YMMV.

-- pj

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:05:53 AM by pjd »

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »
Good comments, folks!

In view of Ben's recent EQ settings to the T5, I may delay my Genos purchase for a while. I did a show this past Sunday with the new settings, and the sound was killer! I've never played with EQ settings on any keyboard, and yet, I fully realize the Yamaha factory settings are very general and conservative. We always need to consider our speakers when setting up EQ. The T5 is still an excellent board. I'm a little concerned that Yamaha will drag their feet on bug fixes and requested updates. I hope not, but you never know. That will also be a factor in my purchase. Hope I haven't drifted off topic here  :-\.

I've never regretted upgrading through the PSR and Tyros series keyboards.

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Many tx all.  Genos will be at my doorstep this week.  I’ll put it through the paces this week and next to see if it’s for me.

Tx again all for taking your time to respond.

😊😊😊
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:11:20 PM »
Along the lines of "you only live once", and not to be overly morbid...but...

Whatever it is you're passionate about and brings you joy, no one on their deathbed would say, "I'm sure glad I didn't buy that one thing I really like!" :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Will49

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »
In view of Ben's recent EQ settings to the T5, I may delay my Genos purchase for a while. I did a show this past Sunday with the new settings, and the sound was killer!
Hi Lee. I've seen quite a few EQ suggestions for the T5 flying around, and if not too much trouble, could you please point me in the direction of the exact one you are referring to? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Will
P.S. Apologies for asking a T5-specific question on here. Please feel free to respond via PM if considered more appropriate.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:04 AM »
Hi Will,

No trouble at all. Here is the thread http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41147.0.html

My settings are displayed in the 9th post from the bottom. Best to you...

EDIT Thanks to Ben for these settings too!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:57:44 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Will49

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »
Hi Will, No trouble at all. Here is the thread http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41147.0.html
Hello Lee, Many thanks for your prompt reply. I will certainly give them a try tomorrow! 😉

Best regards,
Will

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
Glad to help, Will :)!