Author Topic: Best position to keep sliders and knobs  (Read 10730 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Best position to keep sliders and knobs
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
Hi,

When we start the keyboard, the knobs, I figure, should be at the default zero position.

What should be the position to keep the sliders - all down or all up or all middle.

And what happens after we change the knob and slider positions during a song. Are we supposed to get them back again at their starting place before we begin another song ?

Since I use my microphone settings a lot, is it possible to get that shortcut into knobs or sliders.

Regards

Anand

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: Best position to keep sliders and knobs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
Hi,

"When we start the keyboard, the knobs, I figure, should be at the default zero position.

What should be the position to keep the sliders - all down or all up or all middle.

And what happens after we change the knob and slider positions during a song. Are we supposed to get them back again at their starting place before we begin another song ?"

This kind of system where the actual volume  does not correspond to the physical position of the slider is not optimal and often you must pull the slider down to zero and then quickly up to where you need it to be which is  is bad in a live situation. Top grade mixers have motorized faders which of course here is out of the question. I usually have them in about 2/3 up.

"Since I use my microphone settings a lot, is it possible to get that shortcut into knobs or sliders."   

YES, that is what I do and it is possible due to the "assignable" feature. So far I have had the problem that the assignments are lost and revert to default. You know that happens on Windows all the time. But let's wait for the upgrades.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
When we start the keyboard, the knobs, I figure, should be at the default zero position.

And what happens after we change the knob and slider positions during a song. Are we supposed to get them back again at their starting place before we begin another song ?

Since I use my microphone settings a lot, is it possible to get that shortcut into knobs or sliders.

I have the sliders in the middle. This gives you, on average, the least amount of movement for any change, and minimizes the risk of a "pop" (when you slider starts from a different value than the actual setting).

You can assign the microphone to a slider. To have the keyboard remember this setting, create a setup registration that you load every time to power on the keyboard.

Fred
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:51:23 AM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »
Hi --

This problem crops up when moving the sliders in drawbar mode. Some folks like to play the drawbars and make constant adjustments when playing.

Martin Harris, in his demonstration videos, warms up the drawbars by moving them around before starting a tune. So, the drawbar settings have already caught the slider position. (Or is it vice versa? :) )

I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be a mode or button or whatever to sync all values to the current slider positions. I design terrible user interfaces, so maybe some UI genius can think of a good way to do this. That said, it doesn't get in the way of my fun!

All the best -- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:50:46 AM »
Hi --

This problem crops up when moving the sliders in drawbar mode. Some folks like to play the drawbars and make constant adjustments when playing.

Martin Harris, in his demonstration videos, warms up the drawbars by moving them around before starting a tune. So, the drawbar settings have already caught the slider position.

This would make a great subject for a little workshop video from Yamaha. We shouldn't have to ponder and guess what should be done here. This is one place that active Yamaha participation would pay off.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
A great idea of sliders to take the values of saved in registrations, that means sliders have to be motorized (as a lot of digital mixers has), but this I don't think will be available in a Genos 1 to "5"  versions :D
I think a min value for sliders will be better than a higher value. I think is best to rise the value, than to be high and when you move the slider to blow your ears :D It's ok when you sing at home, on some 60-120W, but when you perform on a party, with 1200-2000W and the volume is rising much faster than it should, it is not a good idea moving slider from a high position to low... or you move it very fast to zero and rise again to desire position ...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline badpuppa

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »

Just an idea.

I think the levels of the sliders and knobs of the control area should maintain their displayed levels until the physical position of the sliders and knobs approximately matches the displayed level and then move with the controls from that point.  Thus it would work like a motorized control with you being the motor.

Perhaps I’m missing a problem with this solution, if so please enlighten me.

keep smilin’

badpuppa

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:53 AM »

... I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be a mode or button or whatever to sync all values to the current slider positions. I design terrible user interfaces, so maybe some UI genius can think of a good way to do this. That said, it doesn't get in the way of my fun!

All the best -- pj

This is why I and Bachus brought up the option of encoder knobs instead of regular pots.  It is possible also to use encoder code with the faders as well.  I say this because this  feature is on my Peavey PC1600x controller.  Peavey calls this function "Replace".  The PC1600x reads the current value of the incoming data and starts from that value.  It is smooth change without the abrupt change in Volume or whatever.

For the price... Yamaha could have (should have) given us the best implementation like on the Motif and Montage.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:04:14 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:20:44 AM »
Peavey calls this function "Replace".  The PC1600x reads the current value of the incoming data and starts from that value.

Hi Joe --

Yamaha could add a "replace" mode and make the mode (replace vs. catch) configurable. Software update, no hardware necessary.

Even so, replace mode could/will still cause a jump in value. Let's say that a player chooses a new drawbar setting through a registration button. The slider position won't match the new software value until the slider is moved, whether it is catch or replace. If the slider is far away from the new software value, then a big jump will result. Or, is there some other functionality needed?

All the best -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:22:16 AM »
pj,

I think as Fred suggested, keep the sliders in the center position for best results.  The advantage of encoder knobs (pots) is that they are continuous 360 degree rotation rather than a center detent and minimum and maximum stops.

Let's hope you are right... then Yamaha can fix this with a firmware update.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:23:17 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »
Hi Joe --

I agree with Fred's suggestion for parameter control. However, drawbar players should follow Martin Harris' example and warm up the slider positions and drawbar settings before diving into a tune.

Take care -- pj