Author Topic: Stacking Multiple Effects On A Voice?  (Read 6055 times)

Stacking Multiple Effects On A Voice?
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
I hope this is the correct forum in which to post this question...

I can't figure out how to apply multiple effects to a voice. It seems it's possible. I've only heard something vague about not being able to save it as user voice, only as a registration?

Would someone please enlighten me on how to do this and the rules which currently apply?

Thank you!
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Dromeus

Re: Stacking Multiple Effects On A Voice?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
When you save a user voice, only one insertion effect will be stored, which is the one that has been chosen in the Voice Set.

To stack effects, go to Mixer/Panel1/Effect and press [Assign Part Setting]. You may assign any of the Insertion Effects 1-19 to the same part e.g. Right1. Problem here is that in the Mixer panel you see only the last effect added to the chain. You can easily modify the effect parameters for that last effect added, but you cannot access the other effects easily. You have to unassign the stacked effects to access those hidden in the chain. Which means, it is possible but cumbersopm to operate. Yes, you can store this setup in a registration.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may want to have a look at the Real Multi Effect Amplifier to be found in the Distortion category. Look for those "Multi FX ..." types, there's compression, wah, distortion, phaser, delay, speaker simulation all together in a single effect device.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:27:18 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:46 PM »
When you save a user voice, only one insertion effect will be stored, which is the one that has been chosen in the Voice Set.

Thank you Dromeus, good to know! I was hoping (kind of) that this was the case as I couldn't see anything there that would make it possible. Thought I might be really missing something. :)

To stack effects, go to Mixer/Panel1/Effect and press [Assign Part Setting]. You may assign any of the Insertion Effects 1-19 to the same part e.g. Right1. Problem here is that in the Mixer panel you see only the last effect added to the chain. You can easily modify the effect parameters for that last effect added, but you cannot access the other effects easily. You have to unassign the stacked effects to access those hidden in the chain. Which means, it is possible but cumbersome to operate. Yes, you can store this setup in a registration.

Ah! And...DOH! This seems to be a huge UI oversight me thinks? Hope a fix is coming. Actually, would really make sense to make the effects chain part of a saved User voice, wouldn't it?

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may want to have a look at the Real Multi Effect Amplifier to be found in the Distortion category. Look for those "Multi FX ..." types, there's compression, wah, distortion, phaser, delay, speaker simulation all together in a single effect device.

Yes, I've been using that in the absence of knowing what you describe above. However, there are some things I'd like to try that are not covered by a  multi FX patch.

Thank you so much!

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:14:13 PM »
Was my pleasure to be helpful.

However, there are some things I'd like to try that are not covered by a  multi FX patch.

Give it a go! 'Til now I only scratched the surface of this massive effect power that I believe to be one of the strong features of Genos. It would be great if you'd share your findings, I'm sure this will inspire people to dive into this exciting world of effects.

All the best, Michael
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 03:12:19 AM »
Give it a go! 'Til now I only scratched the surface of this massive effect power that I believe to be one of the strong features of Genos.

I agree! I have an extensive studio background so this ability really appeals to me. I want to exploit it to the max! :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:11:46 AM by KeyboardByBiggs »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 04:10:58 AM »

This multi effect has only one flaw: the effect setting wah source = pedal does not work. Wah pedal works only for the pedal wah dsp programs, but unfortunately not for pedal wah included the multi fx.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:12:15 AM »
This multi effect has only one flaw: the effect setting wah source = pedal does not work. Wah pedal works only for the pedal wah dsp programs, but unfortunately not for pedal wah included the multi fx.

Well now...that kind of sucks, doesn't it? :(

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 02:52:07 AM »
Well now...that kind of sucks, doesn't it? :(

Any input from Yamaha here would be appreciated.