Author Topic: Is 'effect variation' available on Genos  (Read 10586 times)

Offline DerekA

Is 'effect variation' available on Genos
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
On the PSR and Tyros, there's a "DSP VAR" button. This is used to toggle a specified effect parameter between two settings. Typically it's used to switch a rotary speaker effect between slow and fast.

I see that Genos now has a dedicated "ROTARY SP" button, and no "DSP VAR" button. So I have a few questions:

+ Has the concept of having a variation parameter on effect algorithms just been dumped?

+ Does this button only do anything for rotary effects (assuming you've not assigned it to something totally different)?

+ Does the button only work on rotary effect algorithms which have a SLOW/FAST parameter (i.e. REAL ROTARY) ?

+ What happens if you press "ROTARY SP" when the effect isn't a rotary speaker effect, or doesn't have a SLOW/FAST parameter?

+ Like PSR/Tyros, the data list shows each effect algorithm having a parameter that's controllable via AC1; is there a way to do that from the Genos panel or pedal? (the ref manual doesn't say)
Genos

Offline jwyvern

Re: Is 'effect variation' available on Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Quote:
"On the PSR and Tyros, there's a "DSP VAR" button. This is used to toggle a specified effect parameter between two settings. Typically it's used to switch a rotary speaker effect between slow and fast."

I don't use rotary effects but I frequently used the Variation Parameter on Tyros dsp's because it gave limited flexibility in editing a single parameter and saving directly in a registration without having to use up one of the precious user effect slots.
With Genos, multiple parameter edits to insertion dsp's get saved directly to registrations anyway so in general the concept of a "Variation" button seems less relevant. In cases where it would be useful to switch directly between different parameter settings on the fly (formerly by pressing the Variation button on Tyros) that can still be done by switching registrations (each containing different edits) instead.

John

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
I guess that's true John. What's a little confusing to me though, is that the S770 / S970 then has the best of both worlds - they can also store effect parameters in registrations, but also have the DSP VAR button. I'm still not sure why it got the boot when they designed Genos.
Genos

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
Quote:
"With Genos, multiple parameter edits to insertion dsp's get saved directly to registrations ...

Did you manage to save multiple tweaked DSPs in one registration ? I mean, when you add more than one 'Insertion Effect', and tweak them, in my experience, only the last tweaked one retains its settings, all the others revert to their default parameters… :/

I really don't get why Yamaha allows us to assign multiple insertion effects but don't save them properly !?!?

Hopefully a future Firmware update will correct this BUG ! (currently using V1.30 the latest as of 2018/10/25 )

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
I guess that's true John. What's a little confusing to me though, is that the S770 / S970 then has the best of both worlds - they can also store effect parameters in registrations, but also have the DSP VAR button. I'm still not sure why it got the boot when they designed Genos.

That DSP VAR button turns on the Variation Effect used by the style Parts.  There is Reverb, Chorus, and Variation Effect.  The Right hand Voices can make use of this 3rd DSP effect in addition to the dedicated DSP 3 and DSP 4 for the R1, and R2 Voices.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
That DSP VAR button turns on the Variation Effect used by the style Parts.  There is Reverb, Chorus, and Variation Effect.  The Right hand Voices can make use of this 3rd DSP effect in addition to the dedicated DSP 3 and DSP 4 for the R1, and R2 Voices.

Joe H

Are you sure about that Joe?

From memory when I had an S770, the DSP VAR button activated the alternative DSP parameter value for the DSP assigned to the part currently selected on the 'L  / R1  / R2" part buttons. It didn't touch the XG Variation effect (aka DSP1).
Genos

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Hi - I believe the "Variation/Insertion Effect" is still there, since I had programmed some sliders on my MIDI external keyboard (an M-Audio Code49) and one of them, when advanced beyond zero, adds another effect in.  It turns out it's the "variation/insertion effect".  It took some digging around and experimenting.  In most cases, this effect happens to be a Delay, which I've put to use sometime when I want a solo instrument (such as a Sax) to have an "extra bit of extravagance" to its sound.  I found that it was indeed an effect other than the regular DSP effects applied to each part, and it was other than the global/master effects such as reverb.

I have a thread about this somewhere on the forum; I'll see if I can find it.  When I dug around to see "where is this effect coming from", it seems that somewhere in the manual or data list, I found it was the "
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
Here is another thread where I brought up some items related to this topic.  It wasn't about the "DSP Variation" button, about about the "Extra" effect (Variation/Insertion effect).
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
Are you sure about that Joe?

I thought I knew what I was talking about but I researched it and here's what I came up with.

Select any R1 Voice and enter VOICE SET.

TAB to the Effect / EQ page

Scroll down to the 2nd listing: DSP... there are 2 parameters for this. Top line is to select the DSP Type, the bottom line will display the Variation for that particular DSP Type.  There doesn't appear to be a way to edit the variation... it is set by Yamaha.

Example: If the DSP is Reverb, the variation will be the Reverb Time. If the DSP is Delay, then the variation will be Delay Time or some other variation such as L/R, C, or R/L.... etc.

Thanks for bringing up the question.  Even after years of playing the keyboard, I'm still learning something new.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html