Author Topic: Genos test speed copy file  (Read 3486 times)

Genos test speed copy file
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »
I did a small experiment to test the copy speed of Genos. Include
- USB Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.0 16Gb
- Audio file format Wave 44.1hz 16 bit (equivalent to 12 songs)

I proceeded to copy from USB into Genos User memory to check the Genos write speed. The total time is about 62 seconds. Thus, the write speed of the Genos chip memory averaged 8.1 Megabyte per second. Pretty impressive if compared to Tyros 5.

Please see Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwPGjCtQb8

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:49:09 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

keynote

Re: Genos test speed copy file
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
Hi. You mean Mega"bytes" not bits. Your test file should also say "MB" not Mb. Don't worry it's a relatively common mistake.

I did a similar test of a 1 GB audio file using a Patriot Rage Supersonic Boost USB 3.0 thumb drive rated at 150 MB/s. The file took 1 minute 33 seconds to transfer which would be 10.8 MB/s. As we can all see the limiting factor is not the thumb drive itself but in the way Yamaha utilizes the USB 2.0 interface. For instance Yamaha might utilize a write and then 'verify' approach to make sure the file(s) transfer without any error(s). If that is the case then the files would transfer more slowly. As we know USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer rate of 60 MB/s but that is an extremely rare event even under the most optimal conditions. So yes, the Genos is faster than the Tyros 5 which is good to know but still leaves something to be desired. Perhaps the Genos 2 will incorporate USB 3.0 which would be a plus.

PS: Thanks for sharing!

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

Re: Genos test speed copy file
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:51:28 PM »
Hi. You mean Mega"bytes" not bits. Your test file should also say "MB" not Mb. Don't worry it's a relatively common mistake.

I did a similar test of a 1 GB audio file using a Patriot Rage Supersonic Boost USB 3.0 thumb drive rated at 150 MB/s. The file took 1 minute 33 seconds to transfer which would be 10.8 MB/s. As we can all see the limiting factor is not the thumb drive itself but in the way Yamaha utilizes the USB 2.0 interface. For instance Yamaha might utilize a write and then 'verify' approach to make sure the file(s) transfer without any error(s). If that is the case then the files would transfer more slowly. As we know USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer rate of 60 MB/s but that is an extremely rare event even under the most optimal conditions. So yes, the Genos is faster than the Tyros 5 which is good to know but still leaves something to be desired. Perhaps the Genos 2 will incorporate USB 3.0 which would be a plus.

PS: Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Thank you for comment. I have a misunderstanding between Megebyte and Megabite. However, my thoughts on it are not mistaken.
I think, compared to the speed of copy on the Tyros 5, the speed of copying that Genos is worth the happiness
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic