Author Topic: PSR-EW400 Price Drop -- New Model Approaching?  (Read 8986 times)

Offline SciNote

PSR-EW400 Price Drop -- New Model Approaching?
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »
While checking out the keyboards on a couple music sites last night, I saw that on two sites, the price of the PSR-EW400 had plummeted to about $300 US -- a 25% drop.  Not only is that a great deal -- just about $20 more than the PSR-E453 -- it makes me think that a new model may be approaching, which of course, would be in line with Yamaha's regular scheduling with the introduction of new models in this line.  And of course, a dramatic price drop in one model is often a sign that a new model may be about so be introduced.

These prices were online.  I have not yet checked to see if the price has dropped in an actual store yet.  So far, I haven't seen any price changes in the E453, but it looks like it might be time to start looking for hints of the new models!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR-EW400 Price Drop -- New Model Approaching?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:11:19 AM »
Yes, the price was dropped to about $299 USD back in December, or possibly even in November-- I forget when I first noticed it, but I'm sure I mentioned it in one of my posts. The price drop was pretty much everywhere online-- Amazon, Kraft Music, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc.-- but the best deal seemed to be Kraft Music because they were throwing in a few extras for the same $299 price.

I was very tempted to get one at that price, but I'm still leaning toward an 88-key controller, or possibly an 88-key synth. Plus, it's getting closer to when the next models should be coming out, so I might as well wait for that, anyway. The start of the Winter NAMM 2018 show is now just a couple of days away, and I'm hoping we'll be hearing something from Yamaha about the next models. Saul, the site admin of the "Yamaha Musicians" forum, said he'd been told by someone at Yamaha USA that "Yamaha have some very exciting announcements for NAMM 2018." Saul's comment was made after the Genos had already been unveiled, so presumably the teaser from Yamaha USA wasn't merely about the Genos, but we won't know for sure what was meant until later this week. :)

EDIT: By the way, it's possible that the unidentified person from Yamaha USA was referring to more than just keyboards and synths.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:47:24 AM by SeaGtGruff »

Online DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Here's hoping, but all too often a salesman's definition of "exciting" is not quite the same as everyone else's ...  :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Here's hoping, but all too often a salesman's definition of "exciting" is not quite the same as everyone else's ...  :)

How true! And your idea might be different than mine, which might be different than someone else's, etc. :)

While checking the corporate site just now, I see this:

https://www.yamaha.com/en/news_release/2018/18012201/

In the Keyboard product area, a wide spectrum of Yamaha products will be displayed ranging from premium pianos to new digital pianos and flagship digital workstation, while Bösendorfer will unveil three new grand piano models.

I'm sure the "flagship digital workstation" refers to the Genos, but hopefully there will be a new PSR-E463/PSR-EW410(?), a new DGX-670(?), and maybe a new P-series digital piano or two. Only 2 more days before Yamaha opens up their NAMM page:

https://www.yamaha.com/namm/

(Right now it still shows the information for 2017.)

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
I'm sure the "flagship digital workstation" refers to the Genos, but hopefully there will be a new PSR-E463/PSR-EW410(?), a new DGX-670(?), and maybe a new P-series digital piano or two.
What else can we expect from Yamaha for these models, a small hardware update and a few more sounds, plus not launching some of them in India. Isn't the AWM sound source too old for them now ? And I hate the keybed that has been brought from E353. Even the 90$ Casio CTK 245 has a premium keybed than the E453. If Yamaha does not bring back previous keybed in these models, then I am definitely not going to recommend these for learners. Recently Roland E-X20 has been launched and it will give a tough competition to Yamaha, as it packs in some great Indian Voices, and has much better keys ! So to counter this, Yamaha needs to either bring a 76-key model in India at the same price range, or it should bring an upgrade to the long time back launched PSR I455. Otherwise it will fail miserably in India this time, E463 cannot go at par with E-X20 with the same AWM sounds.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
or it should bring an upgrade to the long time back launched PSR I455.

Considering that the PSR-I425 was essentially a modified version of the PSR-E403, and the PSR-I455 was essentially a modified version of the PSR-E433, I'd say a new PSR-I model is due about now:

433 - 403 = 30 | 433 + 30 = 463 | PSR-E463
455 - 425 = 30 | 455 + 30 = 485 | PSR-I485

Of course, we don't know whether there will even be another PSR-I at all; but Yamaha is definitely interested in pursuing a worldwide marketplace.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »
I'm sure the "flagship digital workstation" refers to the Genos, but hopefully there will be a new PSR-E463/PSR-EW410(?), a new DGX-670(?), and maybe a new P-series digital piano or two. Only 2 more days before Yamaha opens up their NAMM page:

Might as well throw the PSR-S975 and PSR-S775 on the list.

Here's another crazy thought -- Yamaha is due to release/deliver its Vocaloid(VKB-100) keyboard right around this time. It was pre-announced last Autumn. The Vocaloid keyboard is a keytar-looking thing-y. Of course, if the VKB-100 is Japanese language only, they won't be aggressively promoting it in all world markets.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/vocaloid-keyboard-announced/

All the best -- pj

P.S. The EW400 price is dipping as low as $270 USD.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:57:13 PM by pjd »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Might as well throw the PSR-S975 and PSR-S775 on the list.

I forgot about them! :(

Here's another crazy thought -- Yamaha is due to release/deliver its Vocaloid(VKB-100) keyboard right around this time. It was pre-announced last Autumn. The Vocaloid keyboard is a keytar-looking thing-y. Of course, if the VKB-100 is Japanese language only, they won't be aggressively promoting it in all world markets.

I forgot about that one, too!

I don't remember whether I've seen prices that low for it, unless perhaps they were blemished (which apparently could mean that the box got damaged during shipping, not necessarily that the instrument itself is blemished or damaged), or an item that was returned, or a refurbished item, or a floor model. If $270 is for a new, unopened, unblemished item, then that's an amazing bargain!

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
I checked the price of the PSR-EW400 at several online stores.

zZounds has it listed at the prior price of $399.

Amazon, B&H Photo Video, Kraft Music, Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, and Sweetwater all have it listed at the discounted price of $299.

Guitar Center has it listed at a sale price of $269, but only through tomorrow (if I've read it correctly), after which it goes back to the discounted price of $299.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
I wish that model could be launched in my country :(

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
Of course, we don't know whether there will even be another PSR-I at all; but Yamaha is definitely interested in pursuing a worldwide marketplace.
Yeah it makes sense for Yamaha serving global customers, being a global entity; but Indian market is an area it should not neglect, otherwise it would get neglected by Asian customers in upcoming times. Basically, the majority of Indians prefer 'value for money' products, and their inclination towards any brand is dependant upon the options they get. That is why Casio has been able to set up itself in India, where anyone could purchase their products, sitting at home, without any hassle. While, Yamaha is still considered to be the 'Apple' of Indian music market, worth its brand value, but not everyone is inclined towards that. There are a lot of warranty issues, plus Yamaha keyboards are mostly available in big cities only.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:26:09 PM by AnupamEnosh »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
For better or for worse, I couldn't resist the $270 sale price, so I ordered a PSR-EW400 with just minutes remaining on the sale (it ended today at 4 PM EST).

Now all I have to do is watch for the delivery person, intercept them outside of the house before they ring the doorbell, and figure out a way to sneak it into the house, open it, and set it up without anyone noticing, so my family doesn't think I'm crazy (well, crazier) for buying Yet Another Keyboard. "What, that old thing? No, it's not new, it's always been there. It looks longer? No, it's just as long as it's always been." Of course, I'll have to hide the box. ;)

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:41:17 PM »
Congratulations, Michael! It'll be fun to hear your report.

-- pj