Author Topic: Disappointed with PSR S950  (Read 9947 times)

diegodure

Disappointed with PSR S950
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »
Hello, nice people!
  I have a serious problem, I think, of getting accustomed to a certain sound of korg, which today I think it hurts me. I tell you, for economic reasons I sold my Korg PA3X LE, and I just bought a Yamaha PSR S950. Coming from a GEM WK8 and then a PA300, PA3X LE, the GEM jump to Korg was not complicated for me, I converted many of my styles, others from Roland and Yamaha, edited with ease, and achieved styles and sounds that I loved, but now that I have acquired the PSR S950, I feel imprisoned in its factory styles, download several of PSRTUTORIAL and others, and they sound very basic very midis, leaving the factory that sounds great, the rest is horrible, and trying to edit, that It is quite cumbersome and still lacks. Not even the voice processor convinces me, I get a solo voice to my liking, but I can not use any of the harmonizer choirs because it sounds horrible !!!
  Now, many colleagues argue that Yamaha, and in this case the PSR S950 is superior to the PA korg, and I do not find logic to that, Korg is much more editable, easy, does not have the registrations, but it is easier to load styles, edit them and store them.
  Yes, Yamaha has great pianos, but what defines a professional arranger? Only the piano and some sounds? For me it is free edition and practicality! Do not? What do you think?
I commented that before I had a PSR S550, and a PSR S710, but since I had Korg, I knew another world more free to edit and easily achieve the sound that I like. By the way, I play and sing, a little bit of everything.

Example, Korg PA3X LE vs Yamaha PSR S950
KORG  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXJk7tnfaw

YAMAHA https://soundcloud.com/diegodure/cover-acepto-mi-derrota-los-bukis
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:45:44 AM by diegodure »

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Disappointed with PSR S950
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »
I played professionally with the PSR=S950 for nearly 5 years. My audiences loved my performances, the sounds were fantastic, and I loved the styles provided by Yamaha.

Sorry you have not had the wonderful experiences I enjoyed,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:11:02 AM »
I use the PSR-S950 and I create and use my own custom made song styles using only the keyboard's Style creator. I don't use any of the PRESET styles as is .. ever. ;)

I also use the VH2 for my singing and have more than 10 special backup and voice settings that I use for the different songs.

In my signature is a link to hundreds of song recordings of what I can get this fantastic keyboard to do.

Here is a posting I did 5 months ago for the song "Drinkin' Problem" at soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/drake-marker-405934249/drinking-problem

If you want hits on soundcloud you need to do current tunes. People have shared this recording, downloaded it and put it into their song list of plays. The S950 is great keyboard and you ought to be able to make great recordings with just using it, I sure do.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:21:02 AM by DrakeM »

DonM

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:41 AM »
Diegodure,
I totally agree with you, but you won't get much other agreement here on the Yamaha Forum.  :)  Only thing that comes anywhere close to the PA series is the new Genos, which is quite expensive.  It's not that one brand or unit is better than the other, but they are quite different from each other.  It's what appeals to your own needs and demands.
If you can't come to terms with the S950, they are easy to sell, and you can probably find a PA900 fairly easily.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
Diegodure

I use my S950 for gigging in small venues, I normally by these small keyboards with 5years warranty, then I update to the current version.  I skipped the S970 as I felt the changes did not warrant the increase in price. I do not use on board styles, if on occasion I do
like the style, I will overwrite the instruments. My personal keyboard for home is  Tyros 5 you certainly know the difference going from one keyboard to another. I have played the S950 through external speakers for the few events I have done for more than 100 people,
again a lovely sound. I have only played keyboards for 25 years so I am not experienced as some members on this site, but I feel that
it is the speakers which make the keyboards sound nice. As other members will tell you, you will not have any problems selling this one on. Try to persist with the keyboard, try different EQ settings etc.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline MarcusAhlback

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
Hi Diego
I've been owning a PSR-s770 for a few months now and my feelings against its styles are a bit divided.

1) When it comes to the Factory/preset styles I am totally amazed by them. The really sound very authentic, way above my expectations.
2) But I also downloaded a bunch of styles from PSRTUTORIAL, and, without having tested them all, my general feeling is that most of them are not at all that authentic/real/human but sounds pretty machine-like.

So from that I get the impression that the factory styles are pretty much delicately fine tuned and adapted to make that specific model shine, at the "cost" of not so good cross-compability. And maybe that is was what your point as well?

I have so far no experience in adapting or creating styles so my suggestion is that you give the factory styles another chance.

Best regards Marcus

Yamaha PSR-S770
Casio PX5-s

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
Both Pa900 and s950 have about 400 preset styles for all kinds of music.
Is Korg giving free access to unlimited amount of professional styles for every song or a site that provides free professional Korg styles?
If someone is familiar with making and editing styles and it is easier to do it on Korg than on Yamaha keyboards ,I can understand that.
But non professional song styles we can find on this forum can be also fixed for each model to sound better.
The same way many people edit the preset professional styles to their desire.

As for the comparison of which of these keyboards sounds better that i often see on youtube,
I will have to ask you in what headphones or speakers,in what enviroment and most important to whom ears? 
I can see too many people wear eye glasses and eye contacts but I don't see people to use any medical devices to improve their hearing as well.
Unless the human body has just bad eyes that make people to wear eye glasses from the age of 7 or so, but it has really good ears,good taste and good smell.

If you can spend 40.000 euros for a car, you can have a BMW model or a Mercedes model as well.
It is your personal taste that it will difine your desicion.
If you are feeling better with the PA and you cannot find any settings for the s950 that are good for you, you can always buy a new keyboard.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
If there was one clear and universal 'best' there would be only one manufacturer in the marketplace. Both of these keyboards are very good and both have people who love them above all else. Both have good points and shortcomings. Many people say that editing is easier on the Korg. Many people prefer the sound of the Yamaha - its personal choice. You pays your money and takes your pick.
I would say though, that if the onboard styles sound good, and the others do not, the problem is with the style, not the keyboard. Is it really surprising that the professionally made styles sound better than the amateur edited ones?
Mike

Offline mark fernando

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
Hi,

I had Korg PA 900 and I sold it year ago because I have no time to work with two different systems. All keyboards I had in the past were Yamaha and I got used to work with it. When I hear your songs Korg sounds better and dynamic. I noticed that difference when I played songs using same PA system.

I have PSR S950 now and I do not use its vocoder.  I use external box for vocal effects (TC Helicon Voice live Play).

Thanks

Mark

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »
I have a serious problem, I think, of getting accustomed to a certain sound of korg

In Korg, you had very high tones. You've got used to this sound. You have to apply sharper EQ settings.
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

diegodure

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:28 PM »
Thank you very much for your comments, without hesitation I hasten to omit my first impression. I have started to put more hand in the edition, understanding how it works and I'm achieving very beautiful things, only with the VH2 I have problems, since I do not get a decent chorus that does not clash with my voice, but I have found that they have many options to edit It will be a question to keep trying, for the voice as a soloist it is great, we just need to accommodate the choirs.
   I told him that I had the opportunity to change hand-in-hand for two models of Roland, E80 and EA7, and after listening and having tried it personally, I chose to keep it, at most, until it is sold and go for the KORG PA 1000, although I do not know, I'm starting to like it, it would be a good idea to have both, but it's a budget that I do not have. 

Muchas gracias por sus comentarios, sin dudas me apresure a omitir mi primera impresión. He empezado a meter mas mano en la edición, entendiendo como funciona y estoy logrando cosas muy bellas, solo con el VH2 tengo problemas, ya que no consigo un coro decente que no desentone con mi voz, pero he encontrado que tienen muchas opciones para editar, sera cuestion de seguir probando, para la voz como solista es genial, solo falta acomodar los coros.
  Le comento que tuve la oportunidad de cambiar mano a mano por dos modelos de Roland, E80 y EA7, y despues de escuchar y haberlo probado personalmente opte por quedarmelo, a lo sumo, hasta que se venda e ir por el KORG PA 1000, aunque no se, me esta empezando a gustar, seria idear tener ambos, pero es un presupuesto que no tengo.

joshua777

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
Me too. However i got news that this keyboard is amazing if we research and spend time on it.

Can anyone let me know how to use .wav files on this keyboard as a style? I am from india. Traditional Instrument like Tabla are highly useful for songs. I biught the .wav loops but i need to program them to use them.

Can anyone help me?

Offline Daniel_ARG

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 03:38:25 AM »
Good evening.

I started to play many, many years ago with a PSR-510. It was the TOPL at that time.

By 2001 I've owned a PSR-740 and, more recently, a PSR-S950,  a Korg Pa600, a Korg Pa4X and a Roland E-A7.

I'm not a musician, I dont' even play well. I'm just an enthusiastic who enjoys playing and trying different things in different keyboards.

I'm not going to compare all these keyboards. I just love them all. But, IMHO, I'd put Roland EA-7 a little (or maybe not so little) behind Yamaha and Korg

Thanks to this incredible Forum and the effort and kindness of many members, I've got many styles from Korg (and some from Roland) converted to yamaha. But never got Yamaha styles converted to Korg (well, just a few... but not very well converted).

Does anyone know where can I get (free or whit a cost) Styles from Yamaha converted to Korg?   I've tried to convert them with Style Works, but the results have dissapointed me...

Best regards,

Daniel

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

Can anyone let me know how to use .wav files on this keyboard as a style?

Can’t be done.

Regards,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

diegodure

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 04:30:53 AM »
Me too. However i got news that this keyboard is amazing if we research and spend time on it.

Can anyone let me know how to use .wav files on this keyboard as a style? I am from india. Traditional Instrument like Tabla are highly useful for songs. I biught the .wav loops but i need to program them to use them.

Can anyone help me?

You can not use wav with the styles directly, but you can combine them with the pads, just load your wav loops to the pads and you're done.

No se puede usar wav con los styles directamente, pero se pueden combinar con los pads, solo cargue sus bucles en wav a los pads y listo.