Author Topic: GENOS: Bugs, Issues and Problems  (Read 15224 times)

Offline Bill

GENOS: Bugs, Issues and Problems
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
I thought it would be nice to bring all the possible "BUGS", issues bad programming etc into one thread. It may help others to understand some of the problems and make it easy to see if ours problems get fixed in the next issue of the Firmware.
It will also help if people say if their problem has actually been reported Yamaha.

I would encourage everyone if they have a problem to report it to Yamaha Support, even if you know that someone else has already reported it. The more reports they receive the more chance there is they will fix it.

It might be better to limit the discussions to make it easy for people to follow:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:39:19 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Bill

Re: GENOS: Bugs, Issues and Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
SYLE VOLUMES ERRATIC

I have had this issue 4 times in the 5 weeks that I have had the Genos.

Occasionally when I select a PRESET Style and view the style volumes on the secondary display After I adjust the Keyboard volume the Active style parts start to behave erratically.
The volume of the active style parts go up and down (about 15-20 steps). This only happens when the left or right hans is playing. Lift the hands from the keyboard and the change in volume stops until I play again.

The problem stays the same even when changing styles. It does not even stop when you switch the keyboard of and on again.

The only way to stop the problem is to switch off and do a Soft Reset at switch on.

The problem has been reported.

Bill
England

The following users thanked this post: alans

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
Touch Screen Brightness

When going into one of the select modes from the main screen (Style, Voices etc) you see ten of the items you are looking for on a page. All the other pages show at the bottom of the screen as tabs. These are much dimmer than the currently select one.  However on a bright day these other tabs are not visible because they are very dim. I have to partly close the window blinds to see if other tabs are available.

I have reported the problem to Yamaha.

Bill
England

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
Initial Touch turned OFF and cannot be switched back ON

Bud2 reported on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
Having set up some registrations on a Tyros 5 with the Initial Touch turned OFF, using such a registration on the Genos it is impossible to switch the Initial Touch back on. You have to resort to switching the keyboard off and back on again.

I have reported the Issue to Yamaha.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:40:09 PM by Bill »
England

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Read the manual about how the style volym on different Channel behaives when the velocity from your hands have a variation.
Tommy
Tommy Ölin
E-post: tommy.sune.olin@gmail.com

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »
Read the manual about how the style volym on different Channel behaives when the velocity from your hands have a variation.
Tommy

Good point Tommy.  However this is not the same.  It is very erratic and not always there.
When you do a Soft Reset the same style behaves normally.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:49:55 PM by Bill »
England

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
Bill, be sure the freeze is not activated and also be sure that the parameter lock is not activated for that function.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
Good point Tommy.  However this is not the same.  It is very erratic and not always there.
When you do a Soft Reset the same style behaves normally.

Bill

The Style Dynamics, which can be set to various values manually in the style setting menu, determines by how much certain style part volumes are changed depending on how your L&R hand playing velocities change. If you reset the keyboard the Dynamics are turned off by default, hence the style volumes stay at set values.  It's much more comprehensive than style touch on Tyros, but once you have turned it off it should stay off until you manually change it. (I use it on Medium at present).
John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:14:01 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
I mean this in the kindest possible way but a lot of things reported are because members do not realise that some things have to be done differently and they have to set the keyboard up to how they want it to behave.
  If you don't want style volumes to alter then turn the style dynamics control to off. We must not rule out a certain amount of user error which are not bugs at all.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »
I mean this in the kindest possible way but a lot of things reported are because members do not realise that some things have to be done differently and they have to set the keyboard up to how they want it to behave.
  If you don't want style volumes to alter then turn the style dynamics control to off. We must not rule out a certain amount of user error which are not bugs at all.

We have to accept one for all that this keyboard is awesome, but it have bugs... We have "bugs", also, but if the keyboard bugs can be cured, let them cure! ;)
There are things in electronic world that could be don easily than they already are! I have friends (programmers and singers) which said that with this major upgrade in Genos OS, the possibility of adding new features, adding new screens, is very easy. All the important thing is - they (Yamaha) have to want to add them ;)
I said it and I will say it continuously: if you don't need something, that don't mean any other user don't need it ;) I don't think Genos was build only for a kind of musicians or age... ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:24:07 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline soryt

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
It has happened to me several times now that during the editing of a style the Genos completely crashes, holding the on-off button until it starts up again than the only solution.
All your settings are then gone. This has happened a few times in song creator too.  :(

Registrations dont work properly , doesnt  remember some styles, text, sounds ( from user memory)  :(
Compressor dont work , and the add on Compressor also doesnt . >:(
Midi controller dont send Page turner signal or score  page turner  :(

Soneg  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:53:02 PM by soryt »
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Bill

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

I appreciate that we can never rule out User Error.  However in this case I have not turned on the Dynamic Control manually.  On the number of occasions that it has happened I was not using registrations so there was no chance it was being turned on by some previous setting.  When I first selected the Style the volumes were as default. It was not until I adjusted the Keyboard Volume slider that it starts.

The effect is pretty much the same though as if the Dynamics had been turned on.

I do think although we do need to initially consider "User Error", we also need to acknowledge that the keyboard does have a few problems and there may well be others we have not found yet.

Bill
England

Offline StuartR

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
It has happened to me several times now that during the editing of a style the Genos completely crashes, holding the on-off button until it starts up again than the only solution.
All your settings are then gone. This has happened a few times in song creator too.

Soneg  :)

Let's just hope the Genos firmware update due later this week addresses these problems and adds some new features as well. We know for reading the reference manual that they promised things added "in a future update" so we'll see.

Offline metcam

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »
: if you don't need something, that don't mean any other user don't need it ;) I don't think Genos was build only for a kind of musicians or age... ;)

Agree  100%.

Amen.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

vanray

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
My Advice would be ,
be prepared for "minimal fixes" in the next firmware upgrade
Yamaha would probably provide 1 or 2 new features instead .

as the majority of users are not interested in bugs or issues,
and yamaha could capitalize on that.

Luckily i kept my tyros 5 , so the only 2 features id miss,
would be the Arpeggiator, & the revo drums, the rest i can live without.

the Tyros 5,after 8 firmware upgrades over 4 years, is NOW a finished product.
i dont have the patience, for a repeat performance regarding the Genos.

Luckily my vendor has stated in an email , a full refund, is not a problem,
if im not satisfied.

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
- Drum Setup can not be accessed with Expansion
- Step Edit in STYLE CREATOR missing button changes data 10 values and 1 value
- ASSIGNABLE Mixer does not work in STYLE CREATOR
- You can not change the track in Step Edit
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline StuartR

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »

Did these items get reported to Yamaha? I hope so because just mentioning them here is no guarantee they will hear about them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »

Let's take one by one...
This is a bad issue, indeed... Right now, you cannot access Expansion drums elements even if you have started style with another Drum Kit. 

Better than this, I think will be.... come on, we have touch screen... you don't think the numeric pad keyboard screen could be better for direct insert?
I said it and I say it again: with a huge touch screen and we have 4 buttons to navigate to that gridview in Style Creator?! This is (I think) the most shame(full) thing that Yamaha have done ;) Why not only press on whatever "cell" do you want in the grid?! (position, note, volume-value, length) ???

It is needed, but not so extremely needed... because Direct Access + Intro 1 ( to Ending 3) will open Mixer page with style's channels...
But is a missing feature and can be added, or make Assignable work even in Style Creator...

Even if you can't do that in Tyros series, also, there could be a good shortcut in Style Creator. Now, you have to make some steps to change the channel, I can count 3 or 4 steps to do that.
I can add a thing here, when you are in Step Edit, if you press X button, it is better to exit from Step Edit, not from Style Creator!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:18:19 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

keynote

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
I made a short video of the time display error on the Genos. In a nutshell when you play an audio file that is longer than 99:60 min/sec the Genos does not display the time correctly. This is not necessarily a bug but rather a limitation. Will Yamaha fix it? Expect the best but prepare for the worst I guess right? :( It would be nice though if Yamaha fixed this anomaly. That way a person knows the exact length of time of an audio file which in theory could contain 50 or more songs especially since the Genos can play .mp3 files which dramatically cuts down on the size of a file versus a .wav file, which is much larger in size by comparison. Yamaha employee(s) do browse this forum occasionally so hopefully they will see this video and take appropriate action. By the way, I already called Yamaha USA and explained the situation to a tech support representative. PS: After you click on the link you might need to scroll down if a window pops up asking you to create an account. After you scroll down just click: "No thanks, continue to view" then you will be able to play the video.

Genos Song Time Display Error

Mike

Offline StuartR

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »
I made a short video of the time display error on the Genos. In a nutshell when you play an audio file that is longer than 99:60 min/sec the Genos does not display the time correctly. This is not necessarily a bug but rather a limitation. Will Yamaha fix it? Expect the best but prepare for the worst I guess right? :( It would be nice though if Yamaha fixed this anomaly. That way a person knows the exact length of time of an audio file which in theory could contain 50 or more songs especially since the Genos can play .mp3 files which dramatically cuts down on the size of a file versus a .wav file, which is much larger in size by comparison. Yamaha employee(s) do browse this forum occasionally so hopefully they will see this video and take appropriate action. By the way, I already called Yamaha USA and explained the situation to a tech support representative. PS: After you click on the link you might need to scroll down if a window pops up asking you to create an account. After you scroll down just click: "No thanks, continue to view" then you will be able to play the video.

Genos Song Time Display Error

Mike

I suggest you post it on YouTube. One other person did that for several issues on his Tyros 4 I believe and it eventually got Yamahas attention and they issued a fix for just those issues.

Offline soryt

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
User made effect , is not to save in a sound , only inRegistration  :(

:)
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline StuartR

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
User made effect , is not to save in a sound , only inRegistration  :(

Not sure what you are trying to say, sorry.

Offline soryt

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:39 PM »
If you edit a voice with a user effect , it wil not saved both in the User voice .
To use the same sound with youre user effect you must put them togheter in a registration  .
On the T5 it was saved in a User sound ( the user effect) .

After 3 months of "struggling" it is about time fore the Update , the Genos sounds outstanding , but so much work to get it done . . .

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:57:32 PM by soryt »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 02:18:29 AM »
If you edit a voice with a user effect , it wil not saved both in the User voice .
To use the same sound with youre user effect you must put them togheter in a registration  .
On the T5 it was saved in a User sound ( the user effect) .

Hi soryt. I have not found this. My Genos will save User effects in user voice files and reload them back to the keyboard in the same way that Tyros did. This applies to user effects created previously on Tyros5 or to effects created recently on Genos.  However it will only work properly for one effect. For example if you try to stack say 2 insertion effects only one will be properly stored and reloaded (the same with registrations).
Also, Genos will store edits to effect parameters directly into user voice files (as well as registrations) so hopefully  there is less need to resort to the limited no. of  user slots to cope with parameter edits.
John

Offline soryt

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 02:47:16 AM »
It should work that way , but it doesnt on my Genos ( 15 year Tyros experience) .

S :)

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
I added a shortcoming to fix in the next genos firmware.
You can not add Voice, or Style from User to Favorite Tab.
It only adds Voice, Style from factory Genos.
This is a shortcoming. Since most of us use Edit and Voice.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:44:34 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline valimaties

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
Hi...

Yesterday was a demo of Genos made by Yamaha Europe and Lydaly Romania (workshop of musical instruments)...

I had the great pleasure to talk to Mr. Peter Baartmans, and I asked him about firmware update for Genos.
Unfortunately, he didn't negate the bugs in Genos (so he knew about few of them) , but he don't know nothing when will be released the new update. He indicate to follow Genos page, and when it will be available, we can use new feature or it will repair some of the bugs...

So, I think it was an evasive response :D

Regards,
Vali.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline AlBags

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

Hi

It's too early! They will want to correlate all the input from LOTS of sources, so that when there IS an update, it will be a worthwile one!

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
Most Yamaha demonstrators are just that and would not know the technical side of things. It would be wrong of them to state otherwise This type of information will only be known by the people working on the updated and will not be released until the update is ready for use.

keynote

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
I think what may have happened is Yamaha was perhaps almost ready to release a new OS update for the Genos but then newly discovered bugs/flaws started showing up on User forums 8) and Yamaha possibly elected to implement a few fixes to these newly discovered bugs/flaws before they release the update. I'd rather have Yamaha take their own sweet time and get it right then to rush the update and find out it causes new problems once it was released. We all want it as soon as possible but remember patience is a virtue and Yamaha also has more opportunity to test the new firmware before it's ultimately released to the public.  :)

Mike

Offline quadraf

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
With a zillion effects in Genos i sorely miss a adjustable lowpass/highpass/bandpass filter to velocity 8) or am i missing something ::)... Also it seems that imported SF2 files the filtererd layers are ignored.