Author Topic: The first ugly error... in live playing...  (Read 10965 times)

Offline valimaties

The first ugly error... in live playing...
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi... It's ok, not?! :)

ppppffffff..... :o :-\

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline travlin-easy

Re: The first ugly error... in live playing...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
OK what were you doing when the error occurred? Take us through the sequence of events that caused that error to pop up. This is important, so we can all benefit from your experience. Were you using an onboard style or were you backing a midi file? Were you going through registrations, or just playing along when it all the sudden popped up and caused the problem? Were there an peripherals attached to the keyboard that could have induced the error, midi devices, etc... All of these things are very important.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
Looks like it's when try load from USB? Corrupt file or wrong pointer to any correspondending files? 3rd party software?
A nightmare if have to restart when performing live, not good at all, especially no good if it happens when operate Genos "as is" and use internal memory.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline manuel

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
I am certain that it is a corrupted file.....somewhere. Could be a style, etc....when happen to me...in my case it was a Multipad file, but, after I removed that "bad" file, is been years that no longer did it.
It is NOT the keyboard.....pretty sure....

My 2 Cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »
Looks like it has something to do with Registrations and a USB file.

It's always a good idea to go over and review the all files you intend to use at your up coming gig. I bet doing that would have saved you this crash at your gig.

Regards
Drake

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
I played a custom style.
I play it right now, without problem...I don't know what cause this problem...

I was playing the style, and when I change to OTS1 (where I have 3 custom Voices on right parts) it crashed... It is the most playable style in live gigs from what I have, it is a ethnic style from my country, and I play about 40% of a gig...

I had one time on Tyros 5 an error too (it was surely like this one in 90 percent), but was in Style Creator, I worked with a stick which I port the style to computer to Style Magic YA. So that time I think it was from there (or was again from custom voices?! I don't know) ...
Of course, I have sent email to Yamaha Eu GmbH, but I don't think they respond to me ever... I've sent some of bugs encountered, and no answer... only the first time I have received a response... It's a shame if they treat their customers like this. I know I'm not a beta tester, but if I send a bug or crush error, you can at least respond with a generic mail, the ignorance is painful ... :(

PS: The USB Stick I use is a 3.0 USB Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 of 64GB... But I don't think is from USB...
The style, (normally), when you call a registration or load it from user/usb folder, it loads in memory... so all the settings (from style or registration), OTS-es etc, are all loaded in memory, they not load when you press, they only point to the pointer in memory,  so what happened here, I think is a memory issue ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:02:33 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Try loading the style into the keyboard's onboard user memory, and then do the same with the other associated settings and see if the problem persists. My guess, it was a USB Memory Glitch, which I have had over the past decade with various brands of USB sticks. If the style is being accessed directly from the keyboard's onboard user memory, and it still happens, then I guess it may be a bug, but I kinda doubt it.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Try loading the style into the keyboard's onboard user memory, and then do the same with the other associated settings and see if the problem persists. My guess, it was a USB Memory Glitch, which I have had over the past decade with various brands of USB sticks. If the style is being accessed directly from the keyboard's onboard user memory, and it still happens, then I guess it may be a bug, but I kinda doubt it.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Thanks Gary.
As you know (I don't think was already made) the Registrations cannot be moved from USB with styles on User Memory (C:\). If this could be done, all of my content I will move to user area, and I think all f this problems will be solved (if it is a USB issue), but if it is a memory issue, is a bad thing...

Regards..

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks Gary.
As you know (I don't think was already made) the Registrations cannot be moved from USB with styles on User Memory (C:\). If this could be done, all of my content I will move to user area, and I think all f this problems will be solved (if it is a USB issue), but if it is a memory issue, is a bad thing...

Regards..

I'm not really clear why you cannot move these to the internal drive (USER). I've moved hundreds of custom registrations from USB to USER without any issues. Can you clarify exactly why you can't move these?

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »
I'm not really clear why you cannot move these to the internal drive (USER). I've moved hundreds of custom registrations from USB to USER without any issues. Can you clarify exactly why you can't move these?
And styles?!
And they works?! To me doesn't!! So, if I move all my content which I have on USB stick to User Area, it will load registration settings, but it doesn't find the style. (the letter issue of Genos USB ports ;) )
If you tell me I have to make all this registrations from beginning, I don't do that, sorry... I better wait for some technical solutions from Yamaha (is their fault does not have fully compatible Tyros - Genos files). or the new version of Murray's YRM...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:52:43 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
And styles?!
And they works?! To me doesn't!! So, if I move all my content which I have on USB stick to User Area, it will load registration settings, but it doesn't find the style. (the letter issue of Genos USB ports ;) )
If you tell me I have to make all this registrations from beginning, I don't do that, sorry... I better wait for some technical solutions from Yamaha (is their fault does not have fully compatible Tyros - Genos files). or the new version of Murray's YRM...

What styles, preset or custom? In my case, since the registrations were made on the Tyros 5 style substitution takes place. I have a few custom styles and they appear to be found.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
What styles, preset or custom? In my case, since the registrations were made on the Tyros 5 style substitution takes place. I have a few custom styles and they appear to be found.

Very strange...
I don't know if I use 3 or 4 styles from Genos Preset styles... All songs I and my band play, are custom made by me, so all the stuff inside Genos I use, is custom stuff.
I have moved the content (REGIST folder, "My Styles" folder which contains all my styles) as the same position in my stick, at root of stick - root of user area ... Styles are not loaded...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »
If you have styles linked to registrations on a USB stick they will always work but if you move the styles and registrations the links will be broken. This has been the case with most Yamaha keyboards. They have to be linked where you intend to store them and if using third party styles once linked you must never move them or the registration can't find them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:32 PM »
It's just a matter of redoing the registrations so they are directed to the new style location. Not a difficult task, and one that I have done hundreds of times in the past.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
If you have styles linked to registrations on a USB stick they will always work but if you move the styles and registrations the links will be broken. This has been the case with most Yamaha keyboards. They have to be linked where you intend to store them and if using third party styles once linked you must never move them or the registration can't find them.

Yes Eileen, I knew that, I don't know how Stuart make his registration works

It's just a matter of redoing the registrations so they are directed to the new style location. Not a difficult task, and one that I have done hundreds of times in the past.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Gary, is a little bit difficult rebuilding registrations from the beginning, a lot of time consumption, and a lot of work for each channel... I will wait for YRM 5.1. Is more easy to change one setting (letter of new position of style,  position in user), not making a lot of settings of inserts, eqs, resonance, cutoff etc....

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Patrick

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »
Hi Vali, try to copy and paste all your usb folders on the Genos User using the Genos not your computer! If you're mooving using the Genos the link wiil be changed by the Genos; all the best and hope you'll fid a sollution, all the best Patrick

;)

Offline StuartR

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 04:45:17 AM »
Yes Eileen, I knew that, I don't know how Stuart make his registration works

Here is one possibility. I don't use the limited keyboard file management to move my registrations/styles. I move them in bulk by booting the keyboard into HDD mode and connecting it to my laptop. This is much faster, has no artificial file/folders limit and will move all file types.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 05:33:42 AM »
Hi Vali, try to copy and paste all your usb folders on the Genos User using the Genos not your computer! If you're mooving using the Genos the link wiil be changed by the Genos; all the best and hope you'll fid a sollution, all the best Patrick

;)

I used content using Genos, simply selecting folder and copy from Usb device to user.
Stuart, you don't need to start keyboard in Hdd mode to copy multiple files or folders...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
Hi,

If not mistaken and when Murray finishes and releases YRM 5.x (loads of changes need to be made for Genos and Yamaha isn't exactly helping ;) ) The "path" problems will be solvable with ease. There is a new option called Remove path. Murray was so kind to build in that option on my request in a beta release. I tested it and it works great. As long as you keep the custom styles/midi/audio/pads in the same folder as the registyration itself it will work. No matter if the registration and the files that belong to that RGT are on a HD, the user area or any usb. It's more or less based on the old DOS principal. When there is no path given/present the RGT will only look in it's own folder for the files.

I create my registrations and put them in a folder named after the song title. I copy the style and other files that I use in that same song title folder. I never have to worry about the RGT not finding them anymore. Even when I move that song title folder to a different location or change the foldername. The only restriction is that you keep the files together in the same folder and not rename the files themseleves of course. Also this will not work with so called audio linked pads since there is an extra path in those underwater so to speak that YRM can't change.

regards,
Peter

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:14:15 AM by XeeniX »

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »
@valimaties

The USB Stick I use is a 3.0 USB Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 of 64GB

Don't think to fast that it is not the USB stick.
I used Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 32GB and that causes problems when my external monitor was connected to the Genos.
Shutting down was freezing my Genos.
With another 3.0 USB or a USB 2.0 i do not have this problem.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »
Hi,

If not mistaken and when Murray finishes and releases YRM 5.x (loads of changes need to be made for Genos and Yamaha isn't exactly helping ;) ) The "path" problems will be solvable with ease. There is a new option called Remove path. Murray was so kind to build in that option on my request in a beta release. I tested it and it works great. As long as you keep the custom styles/midi/audio/pads in the same folder as the registyration itself it will work. No matter if the registration and the files that belong to that RGT are on a HD, the user area or any usb. It's more or less based on the old DOS principal. When there is no path given/present the RGT will only look in it's own folder for the files.

I create my registrations and put them in a folder named after the song title. I copy the style and other files that I use in that same song title folder. I never have to worry about the RGT not finding them anymore. Even when I move that song title folder to a different location or change the foldername. The only restriction is that you keep the files together in the same folder and not rename the files themseleves of course. Also this will not work with so called audio linked pads since there is an extra path in those underwater so to speak that YRM can't change.

regards,
Peter

It is a good idea, Peter. But I think is better not to create a folder for each song... If All files are put together, when you open the registration (press on touch screen or buttons dedicated) you will see all registration banks together, when you press style button or touch the layer dedicated, you will see all styles together, and so on... If you make dedicated folders, you have to navigate through them, so there are a lot of steps to make...

As a conclusion, I think it is a good idea to put all together and remove the path from registration :)
Nice...

@valimaties

Don't think to fast that it is not the USB stick.
I used Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 32GB and that causes problems when my external monitor was connected to the Genos.
Shutting down was freezing my Genos.
With another 3.0 USB or a USB 2.0 i do not have this problem.

Regards
Etienne

Yes, it could be... I will try to change the USB stick... I will use the old tiny USB 2.0 Sandisk 8GB that I have used on T5...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:34:51 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
To each his own Val :)

My main point was the removal of paths anyway. The only problem is that when you want to re-modify a RGT you still need to do it on the pc instead of the keyboard. Otherwise the current path will be added again to the RGT but that is a small inconvenience since modifying normally only happens at home and not at a gig I reckon.

Where or how one places them is up to the user indeed. I created so many registrations that browsing through one folder containing them all (+ the extra files used in certain registrations) would exceed the limit of 500 files on my T5. I therefor find it more convenient to create a main folder called Song RGT's and underneath an alphabet folder system. In there you could store all song rgt's by alphabet. But in our case and when using them at a gig perhaps the Gig List function of YRM would be a nice solution for you? With the paths removed you could create a folder containing all rgt's for that particular gig. I must admit (don't have a Genos) that I am not familiar with the new Genos playlist feature so perhaps that makes a difference?

regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:23:20 PM by XeeniX »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
I used content using Genos, simply selecting folder and copy from Usb device to user.
Stuart, you don't need to start keyboard in Hdd mode to copy multiple files or folders...

For specific types like just registrations or just styles or just songs, you're right. But when transferring in bulk or when the number of files/folder is too large for Tyros 5 (and maybe Genos?) I just use HDD mode.