Author Topic: Color coded drawbar knobs?  (Read 8726 times)

Offline pjd

Color coded drawbar knobs?
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »
Hi --

I find myself wishing that the slider knobs followed the Hammond color coding: Brown, black and white. Without color coding, it's somewhat difficult to pull a particular bar. It's amazing what a little color can do for ergonomics...

Roland have replacement knobs for the VR-09 that are color coded:

Part#       Color
    ----------  ---------
    5100031539  Maroon
    5100031540  Brown
    5100031541  Black
    5100031542  Ivory

The VR-09 replacement knobs look like they would fit on the end of a potentiometer slider. Same as Genos?

The replacement knobs are a little bit pricey and I'm not sure that I want to rip the knobs off a nice, new Genos.

So, I'm thinking, instead, of putting a (ChartPak) vinyl lettering square (or whatever) on the even bars (16, 8, 4, 2, 1). Much cheaper, not permanent, and doesn't require the current knobs to be removed.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks -- pj

jm

Re: Color coded drawbar knobs?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
Hi Pj, I haven't got the Genos, but what a great ideas!
Have a great day :)
jm

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Pj,

I have been thinking of the same. When you find a solution, please let us know.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:02 AM »
Hi --

I find myself wishing that the slider knobs followed the Hammond color coding: Brown, black and white. Without color coding, it's somewhat difficult to pull a particular bar. It's amazing what a little color can do for ergonomics...

Roland have replacement knobs for the VR-09 that are color coded:

Part#       Color
    ----------  ---------
    5100031539  Maroon
    5100031540  Brown
    5100031541  Black
    5100031542  Ivory

The VR-09 replacement knobs look like they would fit on the end of a potentiometer slider. Same as Genos?

The replacement knobs are a little bit pricey and I'm not sure that I want to rip the knobs off a nice, new Genos.

So, I'm thinking, instead, of putting a (ChartPak) vinyl lettering square (or whatever) on the even bars (16, 8, 4, 2, 1). Much cheaper, not permanent, and doesn't require the current knobs to be removed.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks -- pj

Hello,  I seem to have the same problem,  :D and not only with the sliders. :( What I do is print labels on my PC with the Brother Label Printer. You do not even necessarily need a PC connectable model, it just makes makes it easier as you can see on the PC monitor what you are doing. Brother has many  tape/color varieties. You can print white on black - elegant on the black Genos  -  or for example  black text on yellow tape,  not so elegant but easier to read in low lighting. 

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
Hi folks --

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement.

Hmmm, I wonder if we ditched that old label maker? We plan to make a major move in the next year and have been cleaning house. :)

-- pj

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
I too had wondered about replacing the all-black slider caps with colored ones. Would be a nice "Accessory" for Yamaha to sell (probably/unfortunately would not be 'cheap'). If someone tries the Roland ones and they work (fit), I'd be curious to read about the experience. I wonder how hard it is to remove the Genos slider caps (and if doing so does not damage anything, and if they could be put back OK etc.

I may use some of those little vinyl letters (1/4" tall) and put them on some of my sliders.

I had thought about Drawbar (footage) labels, OR maybe "L, R1, R2, R3" type labels, as I use the sliders for "mixing" a fair amount ...

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff